Jump to content

CTCSS tones


WROZ437
 Share

Recommended Posts

Total noob here so sorry for what is probably a dumb question. 

I was recently granted access to a repeater in my area that uses 67.0 as it’s input tone. I have a Midland MXT275 in my Jeep. I checked the CTCSS reference chart in the manual and code 1 correlates to 67.09. Would I be correct to assume this is the same as 67.0 or will I be unable to access the repeater? Interestingly enough, code 1 (67.09) is the only one that goes beyond 1 decimal place. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys! I keyed the mic and called out but didn’t get a response from the repeater. I am allegedly within range but who knows if I have my antenna in the best place etc. Also, the Jeep was sitting in the driveway and wasn’t running so the electrical system wasn’t at 13.8 volts, either. I’ll have to test range next time I am out and about. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You do not mention any information about the repeater (location, frequency) but is it listed here on myGMRS?

Take a drive much closer to it and try to hit the repeater then.

And if you have an extra HT, have a family member monitor the repeater while you drive out to hit it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Midland chart that I received with the MXT400 states "1" for the CTCSS code for 67.0 WITHOUT the "9" so I too am saying that must be a typo as on page 28 of your manual.

When setting the code ensure are entering the CTCSS code and the DCS. 

Goto page 19 of your Owners Manual to see a better representation of these instructions for what will display on your screen

To select a Privacy Code:
1. Press and release the Menu button to a place the radio in “Menu” mode.
2. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll through the menu options until the LCD display shows Pt, then press the Lock button.
3. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to select the privacy tone type you would like to use: oF, Ct, or dC
4. Press the Lock button to confirm your selection. The (for CTCSS) or (for DCS) icon will show on the LCD
display, according to your selection.

5. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll forward or backward through the available Privacy Codes until the desired Privacy Code is shown on the LCD display.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

You do not mention any information about the repeater (location, frequency) but is it listed here on myGMRS?

Take a drive much closer to it and try to hit the repeater then.

And if you have an extra HT, have a family member monitor the repeater while you drive out to hit it.

The repeater is actually fairly close to me. It is listed on this site. I learned a few minutes ago that the repeater was down for maintenance for a bit this afternoon. Pretty sure that’s when I was trying to hit it. 

7 minutes ago, H8SPVMT said:

The Midland chart that I received with the MXT400 states "1" for the CTCSS code for 67.0 WITHOUT the "9" so I too am saying that must be a typo as on page 28 of your manual.

When setting the code ensure are entering the CTCSS code and the DCS. 

Goto page 19 of your Owners Manual to see a better representation of these instructions for what will display on your screen

To select a Privacy Code:
1. Press and release the Menu button to a place the radio in “Menu” mode.
2. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll through the menu options until the LCD display shows Pt, then press the Lock button.
3. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to select the privacy tone type you would like to use: oF, Ct, or dC
4. Press the Lock button to confirm your selection. The (for CTCSS) or (for DCS) icon will show on the LCD
display, according to your selection.

5. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll forward or backward through the available Privacy Codes until the desired Privacy Code is shown on the LCD display.

Thanks. I have the radio set up properly. Pretty sure the repeater was down for maintenance when I was trying to hit it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, H8SPVMT said:

The default squelch setting is 04, on the new 275 and I thought that maybe setting it as low as it will go will allow you to better hear the squelch return from the repeater when it does get back up and running, Best of luck!

That is a fair point and I will keep it in mind if I can’t get the repeater next time I try. 

41 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

OH, New Jersey... My apologies! 🤣

Since I am not from here I will accept your apologies. 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, WROZ437 said:

Since I am not from here I will accept your apologies. 😂

I was considering an apology until I read that it was your choice to move there! 🤣

Since I'm not from NY, I really have no feud with New Jersey.

Having spent time in Montana, they really have a feud with North Dakota! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MichaelLAX said:

I was considering an apology until I read that it was your choice to move there! 🤣

Since I'm not from NY, I really have no feud with New Jersey.

Having spent time in Montana, they really have a feud with North Dakota! 

Haha. Yeah, it was my choice. DOH! Moved here “temporarily” for a work opportunity, met a girl, you know the rest…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.