Friendly reminder to those who use GMRS, Ham, FRS, MURS, Unlicensed CCRs... etc...

MichaelLAX

1 hour ago, BoxCar said:

They are going after the low hanging fruit as it were

True, I would think. But also it would be wrong to expect any actual info divulged on open forums by anybody who is in the know. I just think that using frequency hopping equipment at incident site will not protect anybody, but only attract attention from all kind of agencies. If they could not monitor (and that appears to be a low bar to clear), they could send a ground team and extract decryption key the old way: with pliers and iron bars.

3 hours ago, BoxCar said:

They are going after the low hanging fruit as it were.

+1 on this. And why many law enforcement squad cars still have some sort of scanner in their console, along with their comms. Plenty of people still use analog VHF and UHF in the commission of crimes. Whatever is cheap and abundant. Go to an auction of seized items and there will be groupings of CB, FRS/GMRS radios and beat up handheld scanners taken off of perps. If they were smart, they would find a lucrative job, or way to make more money. 

Still, FHSS, like @BoxCar said, will require more than your basic listening equipment, but in theory is not that hard. As for encryption goes, it really depends what was used... GD77 privacy? Probably a piece of cake.  XPR6550 Enhanced Privacy? a tad harder, but easy, an XPR7550e with AES256? The only chance is if they get their hands on the radio. An APX8k P25 with AES256? Not a chance, even if they get their hands on the radio, they still have to defeat all the security protocols just to get to the AES keys inside the radio, that is if the radio doesn't self-wipe when tampered with.

G.

12 hours ago, gman1971 said:

Still, FHSS, like @BoxCar said, will require more than your basic listening equipment, but in theory is not that hard. As for encryption goes, it really depends what was used... GD77 privacy? Probably a piece of cake.  XPR6550 Enhanced Privacy? a tad harder, but easy, an XPR7550e with AES256? The only chance is if they get their hands on the radio. An APX8k P25 with AES256? Not a chance, even if they get their hands on the radio, they still have to defeat all the security protocols just to get to the AES keys inside the radio, that is if the radio doesn't self-wipe when tampered with.

G.

The Kenwood modules will do that. Plus you need a special “key loader” just to access the cryptographic module from what I’ve read.

In several threads where I have posted about using Motorola DTR410's to monitor local Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) radios, many have said that this requires special equipment or knowledge. In my area of the country, Motorola FHSS DTR/DLR/DPL radios proliferated due to the overuse of VHF and UHF radios, such as FRS/GMRS and MURS equipment. However, most areas I frequent have defaulted Motorola FHSS radios in use, no special knowledge or equipment is needed, except another radio of compatible type. I leave mine on the default "Public 1" TalkGroup, as that is most often the one used (in my area and experience).....most radio users see everything as just a "Walkie Talkie" and charge it up, turn it on and press a side button to talk.

On a similar note, I have an older monitor that went to a baby monitoring system made around 2000-2002 or so. With the proliferation of wireless video systems sold by a popular low cost tool store (which I do not recommend - buy Klein Tools, Xcelite, Wiha, Wera, Knipex....etc.) has also become useful once again. People default technology all the time, and this still applies to cheap radios for GMRS/FRS/MURS and amateur gear. The lowest common denominator still applies, often.

• 1 month later...

Duh? I cant use my licensed GMRS radio in a crime, and I can't use my licensed handgun in a crime, and I cant use my licensed pickup truck in a crime, and I cant commit a crime in the house I own. So, why is there so much crime? stolen radio, stolen handgun, stolen vehicle, vacant house. 

20 hours ago, WRPQ991 said:

Duh? I cant use my licensed GMRS radio in a crime, and I can't use my licensed handgun in a crime, and I cant use my licensed pickup truck in a crime, and I cant commit a crime in the house I own. So, why is there so much crime? stolen radio, stolen handgun, stolen vehicle, vacant house. 

Ah... TEXAS! ?

• 2 months later...

LOL!!! Tomorrow, the government is going to make murder illegal. 

All joking aside, I thought if you committed a crime, anything used in the commission of that crime could and probably would be confiscated, investigated and used against you as proof in court? I have known people in the past where this happened. Unless of course the FCC is just now getting around to enforcing a law themselves. Honestly, I cannot understand why anyone would use radio to commit any crime, or use it to interfere with a licensed radio service. There are too many "civilian FCC cops" out there monitoring the airwaves and it's my understanding, the FCC has added a way to turn people in for interfering with radios. It doesn't seem worth it to do anything illegal with a radio. Its like committing a crime and then bragging about it on social media.