GMRS repeaters in Ohio

Hello,

I am trying to look for some GMRS repeaters in Ohio. There was one, but it has not been put back up for a while, because I think the owner is still working on it. Unfortunately there are no repeaters near me, that are in use quite a bit. The only ones that I could find, were in West Virginia, which is about 15 miles away from where I live, and no one is really on there. I really wish there were more repeaters around or near me that I could use, or that are linked to other repeaters that I could talk to other  GMRS users. What do you all recommend? As of this post, I am still in school, getting my degree, and cannot afford a repeater at this time. I am also still living at home.

Welcome to myGMRS.

Yes, there are quite a number of repeaters in Ohio. I cannot speak to whether there any near you however. If you perform a search at https://mygmrs.com/repeaters you should be able to see those repeaters. Use the advanced filter and search by State, and choose the option to include stale repeaters. Stale repeaters might still be online, but have not be confirmed as being online by their owner for some time.

You can only use repeaters that are within radio range of you and for which you have the owner’s permission to use. Always remember that repeaters are private property and usable with permission.

If there are no repeaters within radio range of you, your options are limited to talking simplex with your friends and family, making an investment to put up and maintain your own repeater, or wait until someone else in your area puts one up and chooses to make it publicly available. If you put one up that is high performance and high profile enough it could be you that is doing a service for the community. Perhaps you and your family could pull resources to cover the capital and operating costs of one.

If you go the simplex route, consider a base for your home and an external antenna as high as you can practically afford to get it so as to give you the best possible reach you can from your location.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM