(G M R S ) GENERAL MOBILE RADIO SERVICE

ken408

REGARDING THE (GMRS) GENERNAL MOBILE RADIO SERVECE , AND ALSO THEY SHOULD MAKE IT FOR A LIFETIME, ONE TIME PAYMENT AND ALSO MAKE IT UNDER $35 DOLLARS 

THEY SHOULD MAKE IT 50 WATTS TO 100WATTS NOW , SOON OR LATER  INTO A NETWORK RADIOS   REGARDING THE LEGALITY WE ARE HOPING MAYBE  !!!!!

MOST OF THE PEOPLE NOW ARE IN THE GMRS, A LOT OF PEOPLE NOW ARE IN THE GMRS WORLD AFTER THE PANDEMIC. SOON OR LATER ITS GONNA BE BETTER THAN THE HAM WORLD BECAUSE HAM OPERATOR ARE ONLY ONE PERSON CAN USED HIS OR OR LICENSE NOT LIKE THE GMRS WORLD THAT 5 PEOPLE IN THE FAMILY CAN USED HIS OR HER GMRS LICENSE..  THATS THE BEST THINGS ABOUT THE GMRS. FIRENDLY USED AND EVERYBODY ARE SO HAPPY ABOUT IT YEAH. ARE YOU GUYS AGREE.... 

PLS LET ME KNOW ABOUT YOUR IDEA AND TELL ME MORE ABOUT WHAT DO YOU THINK GUYS REGARDING THIS THANKS GOD BLESS AND GOD SPEED 

Edited by ken408
SPELING

• ken408 changed the title to (G M R S ) GENERAL MOBILE RADIO SERVICE
4 hours ago, ken408 said:

REGARDING THE (GMRS) GENERNAL MOBILE RADIO SERVECE , AND ALSO THEY SHOULD MAKE IT FOR A LIFETIME, ONE TIME PAYMENT AND ALSO MAKE IT UNDER $35 DOLLARS

That would be a good idea for the IRS to try, pay your income tax once. Likely won't happen. The government is addicted to tax money or fees, never seems to get enough of it, always wants more.

THEY SHOULD MAKE IT 50 WATTS TO 100WATTS NOW , SOON OR LATER  INTO A NETWORK RADIOS   REGARDING THE LEGALITY WE ARE HOPING MAYBE  !!!!!
 MOST OF THE PEOPLE NOW ARE IN THE GMRS, A LOT OF PEOPLE NOW ARE IN THE GMRS WORLD AFTER THE PANDEMIC. SOON OR LATER ITS GONNA BE BETTER THAN THE HAM WORLD BECAUSE HAM OPERATOR ARE ONLY ONE PERSON CAN USED HIS OR OR LICENSE NOT LIKE THE GMRS WORLD THAT 5 PEOPLE IN THE FAMILY CAN USED HIS OR HER GMRS LICENSE..  THATS THE BEST THINGS ABOUT THE GMRS. FIRENDLY USED AND EVERYBODY ARE SO HAPPY ABOUT IT YEAH. ARE YOU GUYS AGREE.... 
PLS LET ME KNOW ABOUT YOUR IDEA AND TELL ME MORE ABOUT WHAT DO YOU THINK GUYS REGARDING THIS THANKS GOD BLESS AND GOD SPEED 

I know we all like things free, but I have no problem with even the current $70/10-year license fee, so long as that fee is being used for the constructive benefit of the radio community. Paying for the purpose of ‘covering adminstrative costs of issuing a license’ makes no sense. Paying for enforcement efforts, authoring of technical criteria, organizing the bands and the administration of efforts that end up benefiting the masses are appropriate and should be expected.

I agree that the GMRS license is a good personal value since it does cover you and your immediate family members. However, I do not however see how GMRS is ‘gonna be better than the ham’ unless the sole comparison is the average number of body’s covered per license. Ham radio exists for public service and to provide the spectrum for the technically inclined to experiment and innovate. GMRS is for short-distance local communications with family and friends. A ham license affords the user much greater chunks of spectrum and virtually no bounds in terms of what technology can be used, including technology the user develops themselves. That is not going to happen and should not happen on GMRS. As a GMRS user you expect to buy equipment, turn it on and it just works.

I agree that the pandemic has perhaps caused more to get their GMRS license. But I suspect that is the case for amateur license as well. I obtained my first GMRS license 15-20 years ago. I finally obtained by ham license during the pandemic. While I have not looked up the numbers, I suspect both services have seen an increase in licenses during this period.

As far as increasing the power from 50 to 100 watts (3dB). I truly do not see the practical upside to such a minuscule increase, and downsides if it was increased substantially more. Given that GMRS is already line-of-sight communications and takes very low power to go long unobstructed distances, and given that 3dB is lost very quickly through a sequence of obstacles, the benefit of the added power is really negligible. However if it was increased substantially, up from 50 to say 1000 or more, the effect on existing services operating on adjacent frequencies could suffer.

The FCC has a fine balancing act to perform when it carves up the spectrum and establishes the technical criteria for each service. Even a bigger challenge when some new technology comes along that has different RF requirements.

Just one man’s opinion.

Regards,

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Yeah, what He said ^^^^^

Honestly, the 3dB increase is NOT going to do what you think it will.  If you want to talk farther, raise your antenna.  Mind you, my 40 watt (yep NOT even the maximum 50 watts allowed) MTR repeater running through a 4 port transmit combiner that has a 6dB loss per port will STILL talk 60 miles on certain occasions and has zero issue talking 40 miles anywhere the terrain is not blocking the signal.  And with a 3dB increase you will need to get subscriber radios (mobiles and portables) that are DOUBLE the power output as well so they can talk that extra distance that you would get out of using 100 watts instead of 50 watts. 

I agree with the previous replies, but wanted to point out something that I thought of recently, that made me laugh, and the OP’s post reminded me.

I got my first GMRS license in 2003 and it cost $90 or $95 for a 5 YEAR license...I forget exactly. I renewed in 2008, then I let it expire in 2013 due to the cost versus return on investment. Then I re-up’ed in 2018 when the license fee dropped to $70 and they extended the term to 10 years...”what a bargain” I thought !

In the past year, we have seen an explosion of interest in GMRS when the FCC announced the fee would be dropped to $35, and the Chinese manufacturers jumped on that interest by offering inexpensive GMRS radios. The only thing is, people got tired of waiting for the fee to drop to $35, so they paid the $70 fee. 

Congratulations to the FCC on a brilliant marketing scheme. Say you will drop the price of the fee, then drag your feet for a year or more, and bring in more $$$ than if you had done nothing at all.

Yeah, what He said ^^^^^
Honestly, the 3dB increase is NOT going to do what you think it will.  If you want to talk farther, raise your antenna.  Mind you, my 40 watt (yep NOT even the maximum 50 watts allowed) MTR repeater running through a 4 port transmit combiner that has a 6dB loss per port will STILL talk 60 miles on certain occasions and has zero issue talking 40 miles anywhere the terrain is not blocking the signal.  And with a 3dB increase you will need to get subscriber radios (mobiles and portables) that are DOUBLE the power output as well so they can talk that extra distance that you would get out of using 100 watts instead of 50 watts. 

And by example, the 700 repeater in Dayton Ohio, which is operating at 10w, reaches me typically a full-quieting from 50 miles away, frequently equal to and better than its sister repeater located 24 miles away which is operating at a full 50w (7dB more power). Just another illustration how elevation is more impactful than raw power for terrestrial comms.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

39 minutes ago, WRAM370 said:

I agree with the previous replies, but wanted to point out something that I thought of recently, that made me laugh, and the OP’s post reminded me.

I got my first GMRS license in 2003 and it cost $90 or $95 for a 5 YEAR license...I forget exactly. I renewed in 2008, then I let it expire in 2013 due to the cost versus return on investment. Then I re-up’ed in 2018 when the license fee dropped to $70 and they extended the term to 10 years...”what a bargain” I thought !

In the past year, we have seen an explosion of interest in GMRS when the FCC announced the fee would be dropped to $35, and the Chinese manufacturers jumped on that interest by offering inexpensive GMRS radios. The only thing is, people got tired of waiting for the fee to drop to $35, so they paid the $70 fee. 

Congratulations to the FCC on a brilliant marketing scheme. Say you will drop the price of the fee, then drag your feet for a year or more, and bring in more $$$ than if you had done nothing at all.

Yeah, they might change their mind and leave it $70 since people are paying it and make it official.

1 hour ago, WRAM370 said:

I became tired of waiting for the fee to actually drop to $35 myself. In my mind, I think $7 per year is not a bad deal, but am a little annoyed that the $35 fee was approved but not yet implemented. The only other time I was a bit disgruntled about a radio related fee was for the Canadian Restricted Operators Certificate (ROC) for maritime radio use in Canadian waters. There was no test, just a fee. This meant it was just a way to get money.