Programing gripe

PartsMan

I have been playing with the programing on my Radioddity GM-30.

I understand that they have to lock it so that I can only transmit on GMRS frequencies and I appreciate the one extra set of "custom repeater channels".

My gripe is that I can't set up the other 200+ channels to transmit as custom simplex or repeater channels with different tones.

I should be able to set up 200 different tone versions of the same GMRS frequency if I want.

It seems like a simple software change. 

18 minutes ago, PartsMan said:

I have been playing with the programing on my Radioddity GM-30.

I understand that they have to lock it so that I can only transmit on GMRS frequencies and I appreciate the one extra set of "custom repeater channels".

My gripe is that I can't set up the other 200+ channels to transmit as custom simplex or repeater channels with different tones.

I should be able to set up 200 different tone versions of the same GMRS frequency if I want.

It seems like a simple software change. 

I have the same issue with my BTech 50x1. Lots of free channels, but they're all rx only. I seem to remember reading something that indicated that level of lockdown made the certification process easier and/or quicker.

I appreciate wouxun's design allowing all the tx channels you want that are in-bounds for gmrs.

The latest firmware update should give you 24 DIY channels in which you can program repeaters or simplex TX channels. If you use them as added repeater channels with different tones you basically get 3 banks of 8 repeater channels to store. Other than that, you are limited to what the radio is, a $40 radio. 

38 minutes ago, bobthetj03 said:

The latest firmware update should give you 24 DIY channels in which you can program repeaters or simplex TX channels. If you use them as added repeater channels with different tones you basically get 3 banks of 8 repeater channels to store. Other than that, you are limited to what the radio is, a $40 radio. 

The DIY channels have the TX frequency locked. I can change the RX (not sure why anyone would) and the tones.

I know the Wouxun kg805g will let you have all the transmit channels you want up to the max it can hold, within bounds for gmrs.  I believe the 905g and 935g will as well.

Jumping over to the LMR side (there are some part 95 Motorola and Kenwood models, I believe) opens a lot more freedom, but limits what you can do in terms of changes through the front panel, versus having to connect to a computer and reprogram. Pricing there varies, and it's a matter of getting good used gear, or $teep prices for new.

1 hour ago, wayoverthere said:

I know the Wouxun kg805g will let you have all the transmit channels you want up to the max it can hold, within bounds for gmrs.  I believe the 905g and 935g will as well.

Jumping over to the LMR side (there are some part 95 Motorola and Kenwood models, I believe) opens a lot more freedom, but limits what you can do in terms of changes through the front panel, versus having to connect to a computer and reprogram. Pricing there varies, and it's a matter of getting good used gear, or $teep prices for new.

Unless you need to change the channel parameter(s) because of frequent traveling out of the area then FPP would be an advantage. However if you you the radio in the same general area mostly, if not, all the time then FPP is of very limited value. My Kenwood LMR radios I haven't really found a need to change the programming once it's done except for adding in a new repeater that comes on-line in the area. The only items I seem to have the need to change are tones (almost never), channels scanned (add or delete), power level, zone and squelch level. All of these I have programmed a function key on the front or side panel to do. Most of my radios don't even have a DTMF keypad and I don't miss it.

From everything I have read on this forum from uses of other brands and models, and from what I have personally experienced with every Wouxun model, Wouxon has the greatest number of user-definable fully-configurable memories in a production Part 95e radio. All of their models, except the 805, is firmware locked down to comply with the rules. All memories in all radios can be simplex or duplex (repeater), and with any combinations of codes you desire. So long as you enter valid values in the Tx frequency field of the software you can transmit on it. It it is not valid, you can still save it, but it will not Tx on it. The radios will even let you use VFO mode and the rules will still be enforced.

Wouxun radios are, in my view not toy cheap, but neither are they new commercial Motorola expensive. It is reasonable to expect more when you pay more, and less when you pay less, at least when comparing current generation production products.

Given that the limitations of Midland, BTech and other radios has been discussed so much on this forum, it is interesting the surprise folks still experience when using these brands of radios. More interesting is that the manufacturers have not taken steps to remove the limitation. As it has been said, it’s only software (or firmware).

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

On 1/20/2022 at 11:40 AM, wayoverthere said:

I have the same issue with my BTech 50x1. Lots of free channels, but they're all rx only. I seem to remember reading something that indicated that level of lockdown made the certification process easier and/or quicker.

I appreciate wouxun's design allowing all the tx channels you want that are in-bounds for gmrs.

I have the Wouxon 935 and it allows plenty of memory to allow for this. Scan the VFO frequencies and pick what you want and save.

I received a GM-30 model GMRS handheld radios as part of a package deal when I purchased my Radioddity DB20-G mobile. One of the first things I noticed was the issue with the customizable channels.....and the issue with the drivers for the programming cable. In my case, I have a lot of radios, and a lot of laptop programming computers. So, I end up labelling them with which CPs is on each computer, which cable to use for each radio. I charged the GM-30 and tried to program it a few times, and then went back to my Motorola XPR6550 that requires a hex edit for my use in the GMRS band, and my Anytone 878. The GM-30 has been sitting in a box for a few months unused. Sitting, the battery is still charged, but I have yet to really use the radio. To everyone posting here (thank you), I may dig it out and see if I can add customized repeater channels as well. Probably good to have it in use instead of inside a random box, doing nothing.

53 minutes ago, Lscott said:

Unless you need to change the channel parameter(s) because of frequent traveling out of the area then FPP would be an advantage. However if you you the radio in the same general area mostly, if not, all the time then FPP is of very limited value.

Personally, the 805g is a good level of customizable, though adjusting power would be nice. I have a couple repeaters in range on the same channel but with different tones; the wouxun lets me assign each its own memory slot with the appropriate tones, while still keeping the channel numbered slots free for travel use. It's also free to adjust tones from the display, no keypad needed, if I'm travelling and want to use a new repeater.

With the btech 50x1, I have to remember and swap tones in the hard coded channel, since it doesn't allow programming any more tx channels. Some of my lmr stuff, i cant even change tones from the faceplate, it's computer only.

55 minutes ago, Muzic2Me said:

I have the Wouxon 935 and it allows plenty of memory to allow for this. Scan the VFO frequencies and pick what you want and save.

If I were shopping a gmrs handheld now, either the 905 or 935 would be the killer choice. At the time I bought in, the 805g was one of the very few repeater capable 95e handhelds on the market (excluding lmr gear)

17 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

If I were shopping a gmrs handheld now, either the 905 or 935 would be the killer choice. At the time I bought in, the 805g was one of the very few repeater capable 95e handhelds on the market (excluding lmr gear)

I think I studied for a week on what I wanted. I'm wanting to purchase an Amateure Band radio. Got any ideas. I want something with a great receive end. Kenwood TM-V71A dual band 144/440. Familiar with?

3 minutes ago, Muzic2Me said:

I think I studied for a week on what I wanted. I'm wanting to purchase an Amateure Band radio. Got any ideas. I want something with a great receive end. Kenwood TM-V71A dual band 144/440. Familiar with?

Everything I've heard about the Kenwood has been good, but no direct experience.

I have a pair of monoband vertex (vx4207/4204) for my 'base', and an icom 2730 in the truck.

6 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

Everything I've heard about the Kenwood has been good, but no direct experience.

I have a pair of monoband vertex (vx4207/4204) for my 'base', and an icom 2730 in the truck.

So how do you like the Icom's?..I have seen a lot of them on-line.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:40 AM, wayoverthere said:

Yes it would make sense to do it like the KG1000 as repeaters increase it will become more of an issue.

10 minutes ago, Muzic2Me said:

So how do you like the Icom's?..I have seen a lot of them on-line.

My only gripes are minor...the fan is kind of noisy as a base (one reason it's in the truck...not noticeable with the body behind the seat), and the menu is a little wonky, but nothing insurmountable...kind of get the hang of it. Programming from the face isn't bad,though I grabbed RT software on sale too.

I will say shop around for mounts (most are separate) and they vary depending on retailer...the one that has the best price on the radio isn't always cheapest on mounts.

2 hours ago, PACNWComms said:

I received a GM-30 model GMRS handheld radios as part of a package deal when I purchased my Radioddity DB20-G mobile. One of the first things I noticed was the issue with the customizable channels... 

Have you upgraded the GM-30 firmware to: GM30_APP_20210615?

This fixes many of the issues of the original release of the GM-30.

15 minutes ago, bobthetj03 said:

I purchased the KG935G recently. It does everything I want it to do that the GM30 could not. It's almost 4 times the cost though. 

Could you please list for me, what the KG-935G does for you, that the GM-30 doesn't?  Thank you.

33 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Have you upgraded the GM-30 firmware to: GM30_APP_20210615

Not yet. Will have to dig it out and see what it shipped with (probably not the version you mentioned), and then just do it. I stuck in a box with other radio related items, after taking a few poser picture of it with a Garmin Rino 530. So, this thread may help me make that GM-30 "useful.....thank you for the info on firmware.

3 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

Some of my lmr stuff, i cant even change tones from the faceplate, it's computer only.

That sucks. Some of my favorite Kenwood LMR HT’s I can assign the function OST, operator selectable tone, to it. The programming software allows me to enter about 38 to 40 tones in a table that you can select from using the OST function.

17 minutes ago, Lscott said:

That sucks. Some of my favorite Kenwood LMR HT’s I can assign the function OST, operator selectable tone, to it. The programming software allows me to enter about 38 to 40 tones in a table that you can select from using the OST function.

I think the full keypad ones (evx) have that, but I haven't dug into those as much; the basic 4 key VX dont appear to, while one of the full keypad vx, there is a fpp menu accessible by holding a button at startup that allows access to a lot of settings, tones included.