Programing gripe

PartsMan

13 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

I think the full keypad ones (evx) have that, but I haven't dug into those as much; the basic 4 key VX dont appear to, while one of the full keypad vx, there is a fpp menu accessible by holding a button at startup that allows access to a lot of settings, tones included.

This is a point that doesn’t get addressed much if at all when recommending a radio. Seems most people focus on the number of memories, can it do spilt tones, does it have repeater access etc. 

If commonly used features can’t be accessed or changed through the radio’s keypad that might result in the radio being in a practical sense useless. For example I have some very good 16 channel Kenwood LMR radios, but there is noway to change squelch level except through the programming software. I had to pick a level that works for most cases and live with the fact in a low noise environment there will be stations I can’t hear.

On 1/21/2022 at 4:34 PM, MichaelLAX said:

Could you please list for me, what the KG-935G does for you, that the GM-30 doesn't?  Thank you.

Ok, I'll bite.

The list isn't profound, but it's enough I can justify it in my head at least. 

The 935's pros, vs the GM-30:

The display is light years better, cleaner, and easier to read, and has I think 3 different color options.

For dual watch display, I like the icon that tells you what main channel you are monitoring to TX, vs a tiny arrow on the GM-30. The 935 also leaves you a little clue when a RX is received on that channel. The options on the screen are in different colors, so it's easier for me to to pick them apart vs the monochrome screen of the GM-30.

In addition to the arrow keys on the keypad, the 935 also lets you change the channels on a secondary knob next to the volume control. This feature is a double edged sword IMO, as it has been easy to bump the knob and change the channel you are on by mistake when using the radio in the field. A tighter turning knob would improve that drawback. 

It's IP66 rated for weather and dust. That is important while using on jeep/outdoors activities. 

It has 2 (P1,P2) function buttons below the PTT button that are programable, which is handy. 

I can store up to 999 channels for scanning, or adding repeater channels in my area, or outside of my area that use the same frequency but different tones. 

I can program the radio in the field without hooking it up to a computer, and name the channels on the fly. GM-30, I only get 3 banks of 8 DIY channels to do that, and can't name them without the software and a computer.

The 935 has a 3200 MaH battery and last 3 times as long as the GM-30's 1500 MaH battery.

The factory installed rubber duck antenna on the 935 seems to receive a bit better, but I'll leave that as subjective to my environment. 

I can program my call sign on the display, which I think is cool, but not all that useful. 

The owner's manual is much easier to understand and read. 

The speaker appears to be of better quality, as I've received clarity reports while transmitting with both radios. 

I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, but those are a few off the top of my head. 

I'm guessing  you are going somewhere with this questioning, as I've seen you post a few times questioning the claims of the so called "cheaper radios", so please make your point. 

On 1/25/2022 at 11:49 AM, bobthetj03 said:

I'm guessing  you are going somewhere with this questioning, as I've seen you post a few times questioning the claims of the so called "cheaper radios", so please make your point. 

Point? She has no point. It's a part of her charm!

Lt Daniel Kaffee to Col Nathan R Jessup referring to Lt. Commander JoAnne Galloway in the motion picture "A Few Good Men"

I think you must be confusing me with someone else here, as ALL of my radios are "cheaper radios" with the exceptions of my legacy Ham radios.

But thank you for going to the effort to describe the benefits.  I was wondering what additional benefits users get when they spend that much money compared to the $30-70 I spent for my CCR handhelds.