Durango, Colorado Repeaters

donniefitz2

Does anyone know the story of the repeaters in Durango? I know there was at least one, but I heard something like the forest service or the property owner imposed some heavy fees to use the site and because of that, the repeater was taken offline. Not sure, it's all second-hand info. 

I also overheard someone on the Southwest network today saying there was some type of notice put out for public comment related to that site, but I can't find anything. 

There is a Hesperus repeater nearby, but nothing in Durango.

Hoping to get some info because I have property there and would like to have some kind of repeater access. 

The current bit of legislation that’s causing a stir in the amateur and GMRS communities is the following: http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-to-oppose-forest-service-administrative-fees-for-amateur-facilities

its my understanding that the $1400 is applied to lease holders (site owners) and not the individual equipment owners; although the leaseholders may pass that cost onto us. Let’s just say that if the USFS starts charging $1400 per sublease for every repeater we run on their public land, we’d be taking almost all the repeaters on the SWCRS down; we just couldn’t afford to run that at the price we charge (nothing). Aside from that, they’re proposing to flat rate all sites which is somewhat blunt since some site users are more intensive than others. It’s like the building department charging the same cost for a building permit for a house vs. a shopping mall….

Theres a number of good repeaters around the four corners, including Durango under the San Juan Connection; I used the ones in Durango, Purgatory, and Silverton this past summer, worked fine, can’t confirm it’s current status though: http://www.sjcham.com/gmrs.html

Edited by JeepCrawler98

Thanks for the info, @JeepCrawler98 and @gortex2. I keep hearing bits and pieces of the story, so it's nice to get all of it. Also, thanks for the link. I knew about the Hesperus repeater, but didn't know about those other ones. Much appreciated. 

I'll be sure to add my piece on that public comment apposing the new fees. 

• 3 weeks later...

I heard the same info from a gmrs user 3 wks ago ,I also heard they or some one is going to put on up a Repeater at Fort Lewis College .I hope that's true.All I get is FRS chatter in Durango.I have to go Aztec or Farmington to Chat on the Repeaters.Right now I use Zello in Durango,but I keep my KG 1000 G on.