Power supply Units...

Muzic2Me

I use the ALINCO DM330MVT. When operating radios at 50-watts and less (
I have not viewed the PS signal on a scope so I cannot speak to the actual noise on its output. At VHF and UHF frequencies however I have observed no perceptible difference in receive audio quality between power supply and battery operation in the shack.

For over a year I have been pleased with the power supply performance.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

1 hour ago, mbrun said:

I use the ALINCO DM330MVT. When operating radios at 50-watts and less (
I have not viewed the PS signal on a scope so I cannot speak to the actual noise on its output. At VHF and UHF frequencies however I have observed no perceptible difference in receive audio quality between power supply and battery operation in the shack.

For over a year I have been pleased with the power supply performance.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Thanks for the input!

I have had an Astron RS-20a for a long time in my shack - very pleased. This was an upgrade from a Pyramid and a Radio Shack, which still get pressed into service if traveling, operating remotely, but still grid connected.

Don't skimp on a solid power supply - and quality connectors (like Anderson Power Poles, etc.).  

Mark O.

WRPD494

KJ4OUS

I am in the Astron Camp, too.  I have an SS-30M good for 30 amps cont, 40 peak.  It's super quiet with the fans being off a vast majority of the time, and when they are on, they are high volume, low speed, so noise is reduced.

I run a 100w HF radio, a 50w VHF/UHF radio, a 40w GMRS radio, and a 225w VHF amplifier with it, and I use it to keep my 100 ah battery charged.

1 hour ago, marcspaz said:

I am in the Astron Camp, too.  I have an SS-30M good for 30 amps cont, 40 peak.  It's super quiet with the fans being off a vast majority of the time, and when they are on, they are high volume, low speed, so noise is reduced.

I run a 100w HF radio, a 50w VHF/UHF radio, a 40w GMRS radio, and a 225w VHF amplifier with it, and I use it to keep my 100 ah battery charged.

Thanks a lot for the info. Appreciated. I’ve heard great things about them.

2 hours ago, WRPD494 said:

I have had an Astron RS-20a for a long time in my shack - very pleased. This was an upgrade from a Pyramid and a Radio Shack, which still get pressed into service if traveling, operating remotely, but still grid connected.

Don't skimp on a solid power supply - and quality connectors (like Anderson Power Poles, etc.).  

Mark O.

WRPD494

KJ4OUS

Thanks for the info. I’ve heard to many good things about the brand, so I guess that’s were I’ll be heading.

3 hours ago, WRPD494 said:

Mark O.

WRPD494

KJ4OUS

You like the linear over switching?

On 1/24/2022 at 7:54 PM, Muzic2Me said:

Who personally has a quiet fan, goof RF filtering power supply and what brand is it..?  

I've been using a Tekpower TP50SW for about 7 years. I can't remember if it even has a fan, as I don't recall ever hearing it. I can't say how good the RF Filtering is either, as I've never heard anything on any of my radios that I could attribute to the power supply. I've used it with numerous radios without ever hearing any perceptible interference from it.

Edited to add: I looked it up online (easier than pulling it off the shelf), and the TP50SW does have a fan. I still can't recall ever hearing it. I also found info on another feature that I forgot it had: "noise offset." If the power supply does create interference at a specific frequency, it can be adjusted to move the noise out of the band being used.