What is the purpose of a "net"?

Coffeemaker

I spent several minutes with the search function.

What is a "net" and what is its purpose?  I have listened to a few minutes of net conversations and can see no point, other than proving one's radio works and perhaps that the links work.  It doesn't take 100 people from 3 states to prove the system. 

"Practice, man, practice!"

Seriously, practice.   If/when local, regional or nation-wide/world-wide issues strike...    when all else fails, radio works (we hope, atmospherics withstanding).

And local/regional clubs also (or should be) practice simplex nets, so if repeaters are down, people are used to calmly and competently passing radio traffic and handling emergency traffic.

In the meantime, it gives folks regular practice using their rigs, testing antennae and fun!   Net Operators get practice handling newbies, copying traffic and coordinating (herding cats).   Just imagine everyone waiting until they needed it "for really".

4 hours ago, tweiss3 said:

Beyond system stress testing, and for something to do, it also helps improve each user's listening skills, practice for proper protocol to pass traffic, and in some cases, help one understand the system coverage/dead spots when mobile. Practice makes perfect.

This. Where possible I'll try to be out and about different places...try to get in with a handheld on the early check in, and if it's no go, come in at regular check in on the mobile. The local club also has a trivia type question or discussion topic a couple times a month...how'd a contest go, or do you know this bit of history.

I would think that a "net" on a paid membership repeater system would allow non-members to participate in the net.

That is how it works on the PAPA System Ham radio repeater system when it hosts nets.

Certainly, you could check into the net and then politely ask that question.