KG-935G

WROZ873

The fact is that nearly all radios specifically manufactured for GMRS are made in China. I would say all, but a person doesn’t have to look far to see examples of people who use such absolute terms ?. If a person wants to buy a new GMRS radio with a factory warranty and appropriate regulatory compliance, they will most likely be buying a radio that was manufactured in China. 

Now I need to look and see where my Garmin was made.

48 minutes ago, WROZ250 said:

OK, close enough... I kinda figured it was something like that, just had never seen that before.  Thanks!

I will admit that I was never fond of the Chinese radios and am still not fond of many of them.  That said, it does seem like Wouxun is at least trying to make a decent radio these days and for the money. 

I kinda have to laugh, because as a former Motorola employee (retired now) I can say with some authority that, these days many, if not all of their radios, are at least assembled in places like Mexico and the far east, even China.  Yes, the design is, in the majority of cases, American and, lets be real, the radios do tend to be of a much higher quality than the import radios.

Still, the price differential is substantial and beyond the budget of the average radio enthusiast.  Compound that with, in the case of the commercial product line (not sure about their GMRS specific radios), you either have to pay a service shop to make programming changes and/or spend something around $250 (USD) per year to legally possess the software (not own). FWIW, Motorola legal has a pretty good track record of making examples (legally speaking) out of those found to have and/or using the software without a license.  Yeah, I know there are those who do kinda don't care (what are the odds anyway.?) 

As a former Motorolan, I can attest to the the quality of the design and the radios and indeed, I am absolutely a fan of these radios as well. 

Sadly, I actually chose to get rid of my Motorola radios shortly after I retired because I did not have access to the software anymore.  I also had too much to lose (still do) were I to be caught without a software license (the odds of being caught be damned).  As noted, Motorola legal was well known (at least within the company) for being ruthless with those who were caught and, many would be surprised at who 'dropped a dime' on those who were prosecuted.

All that said, some (not all) of the Chinese radios are, as previously noted, pretty decent radios for the money, even if they don't match for example, a Motorola radio in overall quality.  So to say that the performance is less (speaking strictly in reference to range and overall communication capability), just because it came from China is, IMHO, an unfair statement.

Would I own a Motorola radio again? Absolutely, if I could do it and afford to keep it legal (so to say). 

However, like many, and especially being retired, my radio budget kinda forces me to choose something more affordable and practical.  The KG-935G I recently obtained is, IMHO, a really decent radio, even if it would not survive the proverbial 4ft drop to concrete (actually I don't know if it would or would not and, I'm not about to intentionally try). 

Conversely, I also have a pair of 'legal' GMRS portables (not going to name the manufacturer) that cost $50 for the pair (new), that even I would classify as 'CCR'.  You do 'get what you pay for'.  Do they work, sure.  But they are also somewhat disappointing overall, even at $50 a pair.

I just don't feel it is fair to condemn all Chinese radios.  Like people, judge them individually (if at all).

Ultimately, everybody has their personal preferences (and opinions) and as 'they' say, "To Each Their Own".

Yet another 'opinion'

WROZ250

22 minutes ago, WROZ250 said:

I'd not seen this video from Randy and it made my day! LOL!  Also proved my point (IMHO).  ?

I heard a rumor that this video was made specifically to disprove comments that a few "experts" in this very forum seem to regurgitate on almost a daily basis.

But, probably just a rumor..

On 1/29/2022 at 8:58 AM, TOM47 said:

I ROUINTINLY USE A STOCK KG935G TO CONTACT TOWERS MTN 575 IN CROWN KING AZ FROM INSIDE MY HOME IN NORTH GLENDALE AZ, AROUND  80 MI OR SO W/STRONG SIGNAL

I have family that I visit in your general area so I'm familiar your terrain. You have a distinct advantage with all those repeater installations on the mountains. The OP is in Wisconsin which is mostly flat, compared to your area. I'm in Illinois which is the second flattest state after Florida. Over here it's line-of-sight. I can hit a couple of repeaters that are around 35 miles from me with my two HTs. That's all due to the repeater's antenna height and nothing to do with the radios. I'm using a couple of 935Gs with the Nagoya NA-771G antennas. Enjoy those mountains and radio on. ?