New to GMRS, need radio suggestions

WRPC866

Hello all, I just got my GMSR license a few weeks ago and went out and found a couple hand-held radios. Ok here it is, Midland T295VP4 and... they were camo, which I thought was cool (lol)  I do like the simplicity of Midland radios but would like to get another set of portables and 2 mobiles ( for truck and home ). I don't want to earn a college degree just to program or operate them. I need some suggestions from some of you who have been into this for awhile. My use will be for recreation (hiking, camping, mild/light off-roading) and for emergency communications if need be. Thanks in advance.

I have enjoyed my Wouxun (ocean) 805 and 905 handhelds.  Both can use repeaters and have excellent power output.  The 805s are easier to program, but their filters are weak, meaning high power repeaters will bleed over into nearby frequencies.  I have had staticy conversations over a repeater 110 miles away, mountain to mountain, using its rubber antenna.  The 905 is a better radio with longer battery life and better filters.  It's software is a little more difficult, but not hard to use.  It has also linked to that repeater 110 miles away both with its rubber antenna and a roof mounted antenna.  A good roof mounted antenna will allow your handhelds to do everything a higher powered mobile will do, except maybe power through a stand of trees. 

1 hour ago, Coffeemaker said:

I have enjoyed my Wouxun (ocean) 805 and 905 handhelds.  Both can use repeaters and have excellent power output.  The 805s are easier to program, but their filters are weak, meaning high power repeaters will bleed over into nearby frequencies.  I have had staticy conversations over a repeater 110 miles away, mountain to mountain, using its rubber antenna.  The 905 is a better radio with longer battery life and better filters.  It's software is a little more difficult, but not hard to use.  It has also linked to that repeater 110 miles away both with its rubber antenna and a roof mounted antenna.  A good roof mounted antenna will allow your handhelds to do everything a higher powered mobile will do, except maybe power through a stand of trees. 

Are you really close to GMRS repeaters? I've never noticed bleed over on my 805, but the closest machine is 15 miles away.

I'll throw a vote for the 805g as well. The one issue is a LCD monitor on my desk that throws enough RFI to break the squelch in scan, but it's been solid otherwise. The programming software is about as simple as it gets, though it comes with a full set of simplex and repeater channels already loaded...computer programming isn't  necessary before you use it. You can set tones right from the menu.

40 minutes ago, WRPC866 said:

Yes, I do plan on using repeaters occasionally, especially when driving the truck.

I do notice most other handheld have better battery life or option(s) for charging 'on the go'.

I have been on buytwowayradios website, a lot to chose from.

Not a handheld exactly, but if 20 watts is enough for your mobile, let me suggest the Radioddity DB-20G:

$109

easy to use pre-programed GMRS right out of the box

cigarette lighter plug

easy to program repeater tones without a computer 

supports multiple repeaters on the same frequency with different tones

fits in the palm of your hand

Amazon sells a cup holder mount

084C7263-8319-4BAF-9794-CF6DBB5D2A4C.jpeg

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

Not a handheld exactly, but if 20 watts is enough for your mobile, let me suggest the Radioddity DB-20G

@WRPC866I LOVE my mobile DB20-G, and my first handheld was the GM-30 (great starter HT)...Both are on sale on Amazon as a bundle pack!!! 

https://www.amazon.com/Radioddity-Handheld-Display-Repeater-Capable/dp/B097TQM886/ref=sr_1_4?crid=PIS3MJ1ACS7W&keywords=db20-g+gmrs+mobile+radio&qid=1643435224&sprefix=db20%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-4

11 hours ago, WROA675 said:

@WRPC866I LOVE my mobile DB20-G, and my first handheld was the GM-30 (great starter HT)...Both are on sale on Amazon as a bundle pack!!! 

https://www.amazon.com/Radioddity-Handheld-Display-Repeater-Capable/dp/B097TQM886/ref=sr_1_4?crid=PIS3MJ1ACS7W&keywords=db20-g+gmrs+mobile+radio&qid=1643435224&sprefix=db20%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-4

^^^This would be a great starter kit for you. I have the GM-30. It was my first GMRS HT, and is easy to program, either on the fly, or with the software. When I sold my Midland MXT-275 out of my Jeep, I needed a small footprint mobile unit, so the DB-20 looked like a good choice. I ordered Anytone's version of it, (which is a twin to the DB-20G). I ended up going a different direction with my mobile, but I still think this is a good starter kit for you. Just my 2 cents.

3 hours ago, WRPC866 said:

So I ended up buying the Radioddity dB-20 g and gm 30 combo from Amazon.

When I recently got back into GMRS......have been doing commercial radio for decades, but have carried many pre-2017 FRS/GMRS radios for years, I also bought that Amazon combo package. I have yet to dig out the GM-30 handheld, as it was not the easiest to program, driver issues with the programming cable. But, the DB20-G has been a great radio, as it fits a dash cubby in my daily driver car, still puts out a realistic 20 watts, and is easy to program. This is a great radio, as others have said, and you will find it useful and convenient. Enjoy.

8 hours ago, WRPC866 said:

Now I need to pick up an antenna and possibly spare battery for the hand held.

Check out Let's Get Ready for their $20* Mag-mount dual band antenna and  Let's Get Ready for their $15* 3200 MAh spare battery for the TYT-88UV which fits on my GM-30 clone, the Pofung P15UV and according to @WyoJoefits on his GM-30 with easily removing two "notches" on the battery (my P15UV did not require this modification).

Another "accessory" to consider is the TYT-UV88 itself, which for $34 and *free shipping gives you:

1) an additional stock battery

2) a battery recharging cup (instead of having to use a USB-C cable)

3) and a "backup" HT: which is a 2 meter and 70 cms Ham Radio HT (in the style of the GM-30), which easily opens up to transmit on GMRS and MURS.

That is much utility for only $34!  I bought both the extra capacity battery and the TYT-UV88, gave the P15UV to my 10 year old grandson, and am happy I did

AND: both the P15UV and the TYT-UV88 have CTCSS and DCS tone scanning capability to aid in finding and gaining access to new repeaters (this feature is missing from the DB20-G).

10 hours ago, WRPC866 said:

Now I need to pick up an antenna and possibly spare battery for the hand held.

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

Check out Let's Get Ready for their $20* Mag-mount dual band antenna and  Let's Get Ready for their $15* 3200 MAh spare battery for the TYT-88UV which fits on my GM-30 clone, the Pofung P15UV and according to @WyoJoefits on his GM-30 with easily removing two "notches" on the battery (my P15UV did not require this modification).

I was going to chime in on the 3200 mAh battery, but then I remembered that it can't be charged by USB, so the charging cradle is required. As Michael mentioned, you get a charging cradle with the UV-88 if you purchase one. I believe the charging cradle is also available separately, though it may be a better value to buy the radio package.

Retevis is selling a two-pack of the RT85 3200 mAh batteries for less than $20. They are listed for their RT85 radio, which is a clone of the UV-88, and priced about the same for a single radio. They discount multi-packs of the RT85, so if you're looking for additional radios, these could be a reasonable value.

The attached picture shows what I call "ribs" (designated by the arrows in the picture) that need to be removed for the latch to work correctly on the GM-30. These are the "notches" mentioned by Michael. On my GM-30 radios, the battery would come loose because the latch would not engage until the ribs were removed from the batteries.

image.png

On 1/28/2022 at 8:26 PM, MichaelLAX said:

Not a handheld exactly, but if 20 watts is enough for your mobile, let me suggest the Radioddity DB-20G:

$109

easy to use pre-programed GMRS right out of the box

cigarette lighter plug

easy to program repeater tones without a computer 

supports multiple repeaters on the same frequency with different tones

fits in the palm of your hand

Amazon sells a cup holder mount

084C7263-8319-4BAF-9794-CF6DBB5D2A4C.jpeg

I really like that cup holder mount you have in the pic. I think that would make it easy to move from vehicle to vehicle or in the house. Of course, i would get more than one antenna to use at each location.

19 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Another "accessory" to consider is the TYT-UV88 itself, which for $34 and *free shipping gives you:

1) an additional stock battery

2) a battery recharging cup (instead of having to use a USB-C cable)

3) and a "backup" HT: which is a 2 meter and 70 cms Ham Radio HT (in the style of the GM-30), which easily opens up to transmit on GMRS and MURS.

That is much utility for only $34!  I bought both the extra capacity battery and the TYT-UV88, gave the P15UV to my 10 year old grandson, and am happy I did

AND: both the P15UV and the TYT-UV88 have CTCSS and DCS tone scanning capability to aid in finding and gaining access to new repeaters (this feature is missing from the DB20-G).

I am also planning on getting my HAM, at least TECH level, this Spring sometime. That bundle would give me a 'back up' battery and radio. Thanks

1 hour ago, bobthetj03 said:

I think you can unlock that DB-20G to TX on the 2M and 70cm bands with some shenanigans, so it could double as your GMRS and HAM radio. 

It's a very easy thing to do. Pressing the V/M button as you power on the radio allows you to select the frequency range of the radio from a list of four or five options. Of course, once the radio is modified, it nullifies the Part 95e certification until you return it to its original configuration. That doesn't matter to some, but it may matter to others.

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2022 at 11:37 PM, WyoJoe said:

It's a very easy thing to do. Pressing the V/M button as you power on the radio allows you to select the frequency range of the radio from a list of four or five options. Of course, once the radio is modified, it nullifies the Part 95e certification until you return it to its original configuration. That doesn't matter to some, but it may matter to others.

Holding the V/M button down during power on only gives me the firmware version, not a frequency selection list.  Maybe they disabled it in newer firmware (mine is 2.34).

2 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

Can you post a photo?

No.  I don't have a digital camera.  i did take a photo with the phone but the browser I choose to use is being blocked from interacting with threads here (trying to force me to use Chrome or some other app I don't have).  If you don't trust me then ignore.  But what it shows is black screen with white text that says:

MODE:

GMRS

V2.34

I even waited longer this time to see if it went to another screen, but no.

15 minutes ago, UncleYoda said:

No.  I don't have a digital camera.  i did take a photo with the phone but the browser I choose to use is being blocked from interacting with threads here (trying to force me to use Chrome or some other app I don't have).  If you don't trust me then ignore.  But what it shows is black screen with white text that says:

MODE:

GMRS

V2.34

I even waited longer this time to see if it went to another screen, but no.

That’s the correct screen. Now just change the mode. I think it’s the up and down arrows but I don’t remember for sure. 

37 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

That’s the correct screen. Now just change the mode. I think it’s the up and down arrows but I don’t remember for sure. 

V/M and Main move the cursor and up and down change the selection of the field the cursor is at if I remember right. Though I don't think you can move to highlight the firmware version on that particular screen, but I also haven't tried.