Wyoming 307 GMRS SAR

WRPD568

Wyoming has a lot of outdoor recreation and the SAR teams have found GMRS to be quite helpful because most people use it for group communication anyway. In case of an emergency, SAR teams can contact the victims on GMRS. Wyoming has a big push to publicize standardization of 307 (the area code for the WHOLE state) as the standard for the public to contact SAR in the field once an emergency is declared. They ask that the victims tune their GMRS/FRS to channel 3 and enter privacy code 7. The actual details are at https://hls.wyo.gov/307

Does it works? Check out this FB link https://www.facebook.com/103003218816456/posts/135907112192733/. In truth, this case was successful and was aided by the use of GMRS, although the victims apparently weren't aware of the 307 standard. 

My family and friends spend a lot of time in the back country. I always carry an Iridium GPS and, now that the state Homeland Security is encouraging use GMRS, I just got my license and a Wouxun 935G.

Have you guys seen similar standards encouraged in your states?

This was brought up in a previous thread about "standards".....I was the one to mention that the Wyoming idea was based upon the area code, I used to live in Cheyenne.

Now in the Pacific Northwest, there was a push for FRS channel 1, in use by the Coast Guard and search and rescue in some coastal areas. Then, someone else said to use the 3-3-3 method, which is based on three per-centers and use of the third channel on a radio. There has actually been a lot of discussion on which channels, tones, and when to monitor what in these threads. You will find a lot of discussion on this subject, and differences around the country. Glad people are discussing this, and have some method, although some seem more prevalent and easier to recall when needed. For some light reading, here are two of the previous threads below.

14 hours ago, WRPD568 said:

Wyoming has a lot of outdoor recreation and the SAR teams have found GMRS to be quite helpful because most people use it for group communication anyway. In case of an emergency, SAR teams can contact the victims on GMRS. Wyoming has a big push to publicize standardization of 307 (the area code for the WHOLE state) as the standard for the public to contact SAR in the field once an emergency is declared. They ask that the victims tune their GMRS/FRS to channel 3 and enter privacy code 7. The actual details are at https://hls.wyo.gov/307

Does it works? Check out this FB link https://www.facebook.com/103003218816456/posts/135907112192733/. In truth, this case was successful and was aided by the use of GMRS, although the victims apparently weren't aware of the 307 standard. 

My family and friends spend a lot of time in the back country. I always carry an Iridium GPS and, now that the state Homeland Security is encouraging use GMRS, I just got my license and a Wouxun 935G.

Have you guys seen similar standards encouraged in your states?

Not that I know of here in Montana.  Our WHOLE state is also a single area code (406), but I have to wonder if adopting a standard based on sparsely populated states with single area codes creates more problems than it solves.  It's probably fine for people who primarily recreate in that state, especially hikers, fishers, etc., but for people passing through using the interstate system it isn't obvious, unless the state starts erecting billboards notifying people.  Maybe interstates are not considered because cell coverage follows them.

22 hours ago, PACNWComms said:

Here is the one I was looking for. Had to look in my history a bit. Was an interesting thread. 

Thanks for looking up the post and linking to it here. Honestly, I found that topic after I posted mine, so I have a bit of Newbie embarrassment!

I put this up post because I was encouraged by others in this forum to get in contact with my local SAR folks. I found them on Facebook and found that they have successfully used GMRS to assist in at least one rescue, and perhaps others as well. I would think that is good news, even with some of the faults of a 307 system.

I’m traveling at the moment, but when I get home I was thinking about directly contacting the local sheriff’s office or SAR group to make sure that my equipment is properly set up and get some assurance that I’m properly prepared to spend time in the back country. 

My neighbor and his wife spent a night get in the cold last winter and he told us he was not properly prepared to communicate with SAR. Luckily the snow mobile rental company sent help when they were late coming back and there are some very talented rescuers nearby. I think he would have liked a flawed solution now rather than a perfect solution later. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I respect your experience and help. 

22 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Not that I know of here in Montana.  Our WHOLE state is also a single area code (406), but I have to wonder if adopting a standard based on sparsely populated states with single area codes creates more problems than it solves.  It's probably fine for people who primarily recreate in that state, especially hikers, fishers, etc., but for people passing through using the interstate system it isn't obvious, unless the state starts erecting billboards notifying people.  Maybe interstates are not considered because cell coverage follows them.

I was wondering the same thing. I’m a local in Wyoming and I just accidentally ran across this local “standard”. I was thinking it may be more effective to put up some posters in the outdoor motorsports rental company offices and maybe at the National Forest offices. I like the billboard idea though!

36 minutes ago, WRPD568 said:

I think he would have liked a flawed solution now rather than a perfect solution later. 

That what these forums are for, to figure out what is in place, and what could help if needed. Stay the course and continue to explore, the site and the outdoors. I miss the days of going into the wilderness of Wyoming on a snowmobile.....had a Polaris Indy 450 way back when. Now I have to drive to the mountains, and rent them. Back then, cell phones were still new, and it was great making calls from the middle of the prairie. Glad to know that SAR is effective in your area, there are still many where there is no cell phone signal, nor radio signal. This is where satellite based systems may be needed as well. 

6 minutes ago, PACNWComms said:

That what these forums are for, to figure out what is in place, and what could help if needed. Stay the course and continue to explore, the site and the outdoors. I miss the days of going into the wilderness of Wyoming on a snowmobile.....had a Polaris Indy 450 way back when. Now I have to drive to the mountains, and rent them. Back then, cell phones were still new, and it was great making calls from the middle of the prairie. Glad to know that SAR is effective in your area, there are still many where there is no cell phone signal, nor radio signal. This is where satellite based systems may be needed as well. 

I can leave my house, go into the National Forrest, and be out of cell and radio service in 20 minutes. After another 30 minutes of riding, it would take all day to walk back to civilization. I believe in belt and braces! Satellite AND GMRS seems to be the right combination to me as well. Ill be curious what the SAR folks say. 

This has been a topic on many forums both radio and SAR for a few months. Some say Wyoming picked 307 because of the area code "307". For SAR in NY we don't recommend a channel. If we know what channel they are on we will monitor but other than FRS radios very few have a GMRS license. in 20 years I think only one guy had a FRS radio with him. Most have cell phones that dont realize when they get in the woods dont work or their battery dies. 

I'll chime in here.... I snowmobile a lot.  We use ccr's programmed with gmrs/frs freq. There are also a few type accepted radios.  BCA Link, Oxbow as a couple of examples. Most of the users have no idea of what and how concerning ctcss.  The sar people will all tell stories about listening to the victims radio traffic but, are unable to talk to them because of the ctcss sub channel that all the users think is a cool must have accessory on any given channel.

When sar gets called for snowmobilers, atvers, hikers, hunters, 1st, sar is going to locate tow vehicles/trailers.  It would be very helpful to sar if people would post their radio info on a piece of paper and hang it in a window....

Having said all of that.  I recommend that folks use no ctcss in the Backcountry.  I will also say that, in my opinion, designating a channel for emergency use, with a sub channel/tone/ctcss is not a good idea.  Just set the sub channel to off.

50 minutes ago, blastco2 said:

designating a channel for emergency use, with a sub channel/tone/ctcss is not a good idea.  Just set the sub channel to off.

+10 on this. Don't make it complicated. There was a previous thread on this a month ago. In my part of the Pacific Northwest, many people agreed on using FRS channel 1, no Tones. That still works often and well. And great advice on leaving something in the vehicle or trailer that mentions the radio information being used. 

Near Mount Baker, Washington there was an incident about a decade ago where a hiker was using Morse Code, and the Auxiliary Communications Service had decided they did not need a CW key for HF, as most people were new "hams" and passed the No Code test. I walk into the room and heard this, then I told them to switch to "CW" and PTT as if it were Morse Code.....you could hear a pin drop. Keep everything life safety related stupid simple, it may save your life.