Any recommends on a Base/mobile vhf/uhf transceiver with low MDS and good selectivity?

Muzic2Me

Question

8 minutes ago, tcp2525 said:

Yes, definitely discontinued. Check HRO's discontinued section and you will be shocked at what they are asking and the amazing part is they are selling like  hotcakes.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-008951

I was reading b/ they were having several issues is why they discontinued. They have an upgraded version?. Boss has one and loves it as well. They still have them listed on the kenwoods website

2 minutes ago, Muzic2Me said:

I was reading b/ they were having several issues is why they discontinued. They have an upgraded version?. Boss has one and loves it as well. They still have them listed on the kenwoods website

Not sure why Kenwood discontinued them, but I do know they could no longer get a certain chip that affected either cross-band repeat or APRS, which I never cared about. Other than that I really have not heard anything all that negative about the radio other than people thinking it's outdated.

1 hour ago, tcp2525 said:

Here's what the old V71a looks like on the bike. Control head is on a custom made slide mount that electrically connects when inserted. PTT under left grip. Coiled microphone/speakers cable plug into the bike via waterproof RJ45 jack. Antenna is a Larsen NMO-2/70B Black antenna mounted on homemade and sealed half wave grounding mast with "N" connector on bottom. Antenna/mast assembly is easily removed via three set screws and the LMR240 cable is safely stored on the female "N" connector after unscrewing protective cap. All connections are waterproof.

The above description is for the 2014 Goldwing Valkyrie. The red bike is a 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT. I do actively use my radios on both bikes every day when commuting or touring. The red bike has a different antenna mount so I can use it for a secondary radio or just AM/FM. That's all done with RG400 cable.
36610671104_68e745dbfb_o_d.jpg

49766282016_daa1ce4cef_k_d.jpg

51216437770_38552f8cf8_k_d.jpg

50133844662_fd89106648_k_d.jpg

I guess the bike could not wait until it got home??:)

2 hours ago, Muzic2Me said:

I looked on Kenwoods site for the  MT-71va and the show them for sale....hmmm...

5 hours ago, tcp2525 said:

Here's what the old V71a looks like on the bike

Awesome install! Especially the custom mount for the V71 head. My target is much less ambitious. I ride for years with FT1DR clipped to backpack or tailbag, with APRS on. Today my mount is ZZR-1200, before it were several 600-750 sportbikes. I'm trying to come up with something small under the seat or cowling, with permanent antenna, without the need to use it on the way, only when stopped.

TM-V71a is a nice radio, indeed, and the install seems top notch; but I will point out that the TM-V71a doesn't have a particularly selective receiver, that is if selectivity is what the OP wants.

CDM1550, those can be found < 100 bucks in near mint conditions. can be remote mounted.

XPR4550, fairly good receiver, can be remote mounted.

Obviously, the XPR5550e, which can also be remote mounted, but that one is more expensive.