BARN Bay Area Repeater Net connection problem

WRPH848

Does anyone know what setting I should use while programming a Baofeng BF-F8HP? 

I programmed my Freq, output and input tones and I still can not connect to it.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

BARN-R1
SF Bay / Monterey Bay, CA
Frequency 462.550 MHz
Output Tone 141.3 Hz
Input Tone 141.3 Hz

1 hour ago, WRPH848 said:

Does anyone know what setting I should use while programming a Baofeng BF-F8HP? 

I programmed my Freq, output and input tones and I still can not connect to it.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

BARN-R1
Frequency 462.550 MHz
Output Tone 141.3 Hz
Input Tone 141.3 Hz

i'm rusty on hand programming a baofeng to say offhand what the button to push is, but after you program your receive frequency, you have to hit a button (i believe it's the asterisk), and go through the process again to program the transmit frequency (+5mhz, or 467.550).  I don't see a mention of having set that separately.

Miklor.com has some good step by step programming guides. https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ProgMem.php

I have no experience with the model you’re asking about, but in case you’re more interested in what the settings need to be rather than how to set them:

I recommend leaving the CTCSS receive tone off until you are certain the frequency is correct.  Once you’re certain the repeater is transmitting on the frequency listed you can always add the receive tone. By leaving the receive tone clear, you hear all transmissions on that frequency.

Also, just in case you didn’t know, you transmit to the repeater at 467.550 MHz, 5 MHz above the frequency you receive. That’s commonly called the uplink frequency.  You receive on the downlink frequency.

So, to summarize, what I would do is this:

1. Simply set your receiver to listen on 462.550 MHz with no CTCSS Code.  It may take some time if it’s not very active, but If the repeater is active this may confirm it.

2. Set the receive CTCSS to 141.3 Hz and listen until you’re certain you’re still receiving the repeater.  If you no longer hear the repeater, turn the CTCSS tones off. You don’t need CTCSS to receive; they just filter out anyone who doesn’t send using the same CTCSS tone.

3. Finally, set the transmit frequency to 467.550 MHz with CTCSS of 141.3 Hz and transmit, using your call sign, to see if anyone hears you “This is wrph848 doing a radio check on (whatever the call sign of the repeater is)”.  Listen for squelch tail, a slightly prolonged sound coming from the repeater after you let go of the PTT.  Hopefully someone will hear you and tell you how you sound.

I apologize if I’m misunderstanding your question. Good luck!

10 hours ago, WRPH848 said:

I programmed my Freq, output and input tones and I still can not connect to it

Sorry, can't help with Baofeng programming, but can you hear BARN-R1? They transmit voice id message every 30 minutes or so, you'll be able to check if your receive frequency is programmed correctly, even if nobody on the repeater.

Edit: SShannon posted while I was typing. Good troubleshooting steps.

11 hours ago, WRPH848 said:

BARN-R1
Frequency 462.550 MHz
Output Tone 141.3 Hz
Input Tone 141.3 Hz

Are you sure that the coverage of that repeater from Monterey Bay will reach to you in San Jose using an HT?

Although their coverage map indicates HT coverage in San Jose broadly; try driving around to different spots, maybe take a drive down towards Monterey (darker red on their map):

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 8.54.40 AM.png

Here is what the programming should look like in CHIRP:

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 9.00.20 AM.png

I'm in Silver Creek in San Jose at the top of the hill.  Saw this post and began monitoring BARN-R1 about 20 min ago.  10 min ago they transmitted a voice id message, though it called out 2:45 pm DST as opposed to 1:45 pm PST. MichaelLAX CHIRP info is right on.  There's a school close by that sometimes uses GMRS 1, you may hear them if you're close.

Have you tried to "hit" that repeater?  Sounds like you'd get right in.

9 minutes ago, islandguy said:

There's a school close by that sometimes uses GMRS 1, you may hear them if you're close.

I used to hear "strange" educational oriented transmissions on one of our local repeater channels and I tracked it down to a private middle and high school located in a "Tony" neighborhood in Los Angeles!

I went to the hillside above it and sure enough, I could hear the HTs on the input frequency.

Needless to say they used a somewhat obscure DCS tone for input (a DCS Toney, so to speak! ?)

21 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Are you sure that the coverage of that repeater from Monterey Bay will reach to you in San Jose using an HT?

It's hard to tell from the map you attached, but it looks like the repeater is located somewhere on a hill between Monterey and San Jose. A repeater, if located on a hilltop in that area, should provide excellent coverage in both Monterey and San Jose.

This repeater is placed high. I can hear it all the way from Livermore from some locations, sadly not from where my house is. In the Bay Area I was able to communicate via it with 4W HT from Fremont and Redwood City with good signal quality. And with 40W mobile it's no problem at all.