Base Antenna List

gortex2

Question

I wanted to throw out of post of good commercial antenna's that work great for GMRS as well as other LMR applications. Every antenna listed I have used for home and on towers and have had little if any issues with. 

Laird - Laird FG Series is a great antenna for home use and limited tower site use. Great for a home repeater when a tower is not available. Mostly omni. 

FG4500 - Unity Gain Fiberglass Antenna N Female 100W 450-470mhz - Cost around $125
FG4603 - 3db Gain Fiberglass Antenna N female 100W 460-470  - Cost around $140
FG4605 - 7db Gain Fiberglass Antenna N Female 100W 460-470 - Cost around $200

You can get more specifications from Laird here - FG Series Antennas

I get most of my hobby antennas from The Antenna Farm

The next step up is the dipole antenna and is normally the base antenna I'll install on a tower site. The DB aka CommScope Dipole is a rock solid performer and works well in long term use. I have used these in the ADK park on mountains caked in ice to towers in SE VA and other than physical damage never replaced one. 

DB404 - 3.8db Gain Dipole Antenna - N Male 250W 450-470mhz - Cost around $500
DB408 - 6.6db Gain Dipole Antenna - N Make 250W 450-470mhz - Cost around $1000

You can get more specifications from CommScope here - CommScope

I use various vendors for CommScope gear. Antenna Farm linked above does carry the DB404 as does MyGMRS. MyGMRS would be my first choice as it helps support the site and forum. His price is comparable to what I get it for from Tessco. 

When looking at an antenna also remember the cable to the antenna to be almost as important as the antenna. Putting a DB408 on a tower isn't going to perform as expected when you run LMR400 to it. It should be LDF. In reality if its on a tower it should be LDF anyway. 

Some real case uses of antenna''s above for me. My 38' Motorhome has a GMRS repeater. for years I ran the GR1225 and since have switch to the RT97. I run the FG4500 on my ladder and it works perfect for camgrounds/race track use. I have used the FG4605 for years on a repeater at my fathers house. He had a small mast system and it was a great match. I ran 1/2 LDF up the mast and to the antenna. The DB404 is my favorite. Thats what I have at home on a 1 1/4" Pipe on my roof. I run the DB408 at the tower with 7/8" LDF down to the combiner/duplexers. 

Just wanted to get some info out there on better antennas and options. TRAM, Comet, Ed Fong are all that. They are hobby antenna's and may not meet expectations. Some even cost the same. 

I was looking into permanently attaching repeater antenna to my car at first, for SHTF options. But then when you asked this question It came to my mind that keeping antenna on mag mount gives me ability to move repeater from car to car if needed.

So now my question is really this. Will this antenna withstand the pressure of being on the roof with no springs just directly attached to mag mount?

I am not sure what antenna you are referring to, but for a point of reference, I am using a Comet CM-5M mag mount with a Comet CA-2X4SR.

Yesterday, it was an extremely day. Maybe 30 to 40mph.  I was passing a car on a 2 lane road. Probably around 75mph.  I heard a very loud thud as I passed the slower vehicle.  The noise was the antenna coming off the roof and hitting the side of my car. I have never had that happen before, but like I said, It was really windy.

I hope this helps.  

1 hour ago, labreja said:

I am not sure what antenna you are referring to, but for a point of reference, I am using a Comet CM-5M mag mount with a Comet CA-2X4SR.

Yesterday, it was an extremely day. Maybe 30 to 40mph.  I was passing a car on a 2 lane road. Probably around 75mph.  I heard a very loud thud as I passed the slower vehicle.  The noise was the antenna coming off the roof and hitting the side of my car. I have never had that happen before, but like I said, It was really windy.

I hope this helps.  

This is why it is recommended "drilling the hole" 

G.

That is not a good idea on a car. It will come undone at speed. Why do you want that antenna on a car?

Just use a regular 1/4 wave Larsen. Seriously, I am able to reach 30 miles simplex (no repeater) on my cars with a simple 1/4 wave Larsen antenna...  Concentrate all the efforts in the base setup.

G.

FG4500 (and similar) are not good for car because of wind resistance. These kind of antennas are often rated for around 100mph. And when installed on a mast, rarely they see hurricane-level of wind, certainly not every day.

It could be useful, if mounted on collapsible mast 30' or higher, connected to this Retevis repeater, when stationary.

Thank you for the input!

I wish I had an option to have it mounted up high at home. with HOA its a no go. The only permission I got is to place it outside without being obvious that this is antenna.

Yeah, I got two strong repeaters in my immediate area, and have no need to install my own as of now. But my head is always spinning different scenarios if i am on a go due to hurricanes or what not.

Currently I got NMO 150/450/758 Pulse Larsen Tri-Band Antenna mounted on car and it works great. Heck, my kg935g HT is reaching repeater 22 miles away no problem.

On 2/13/2022 at 9:53 AM, gortex2 said:

I use various vendors for CommScope gear. Antenna Farm linked above does carry the DB404 as does MyGMRS. MyGMRS would be my first choice as it helps support the site and forum. His price is comparable to what I get it for from Tessco. 

I've been looking at that DB404 and checked the shopping area here on MyGMRS. I'm wondering if they are having a problem with their shipping calculations? I'm not ready to buy one yet (I'd sure like to find a used one, or find one to try, to see how well it would work) but checking here they want $175 for shipping. No way that could be correct

Screenshot_20220225-151952_Chrome.jpg

10 hours ago, Radioguy7268 said:

Shipping costs for antennas have become ridiculous. If it's beyond a certain length, even UPS Ground is a killer. I can't tell you what the magic length is, but I've dropped a few antennas from my "go-to" list due to shipping costs.

Yes, length is the surcharge even if its not real heavy.  I think it starts at 80 inches 

4 minutes ago, AdmiralCochrane said:

Yes, length is the surcharge even if its not real heavy.  I think it starts at 80 inches 

If I'm not mistaken, the measurement they use is the sum of the length, width, and height of the package. If a package is 76" x 4" x 4", the package measurement they use would be 84" in this instance.

On 2/13/2022 at 9:53 AM, gortex2 said:

I wanted to throw out of post of good commercial antenna's that work great for GMRS as well as other LMR applications. Every antenna listed I have used for home and on towers and have had little if any issues with. 

Laird - Laird FG Series is a great antenna for home use and limited tower site use. Great for a home repeater when a tower is not available. Mostly omni. 

FG4500 - Unity Gain Fiberglass Antenna N Female 100W 450-470mhz - Cost around $125
FG4603 - 3db Gain Fiberglass Antenna N female 100W 460-470  - Cost around $140
FG4605 - 7db Gain Fiberglass Antenna N Female 100W 460-470 - Cost around $200

You can get more specifications from Laird here - FG Series Antennas

I get most of my hobby antennas from The Antenna Farm

The next step up is the dipole antenna and is normally the base antenna I'll install on a tower site. The DB aka CommScope Dipole is a rock solid performer and works well in long term use. I have used these in the ADK park on mountains caked in ice to towers in SE VA and other than physical damage never replaced one. 

DB404 - 3.8db Gain Dipole Antenna - N Male 250W 450-470mhz - Cost around $500
DB408 - 6.6db Gain Dipole Antenna - N Make 250W 450-470mhz - Cost around $1000

You can get more specifications from CommScope here - CommScope

When looking at an antenna also remember the cable to the antenna to be almost as important as the antenna. Putting a DB408 on a tower isn't going to perform as expected when you run LMR400 to it. It should be LDF. In reality if its on a tower it should be LDF anyway. 

Some real case uses of antenna''s above for me. My 38' Motorhome has a GMRS repeater. for years I ran the GR1225 and since have switch to the RT97. I run the FG4500 on my ladder and it works perfect for camgrounds/race track use. I have used the FG4605 for years on a repeater at my fathers house. He had a small mast system and it was a great match. I ran 1/2 LDF up the mast and to the antenna. The DB404 is my favorite. Thats what I have at home on a 1 1/4" Pipe on my roof. I run the DB408 at the tower with 7/8" LDF down to the combiner/duplexers. 

Just wanted to get some info out there on better antennas and options. TRAM, Comet, Ed Fong are all that. They are hobby antenna's and may not meet expectations. Some even cost the same. 

I am headed in the same direction. Really glad someone on here has heard about Laird antennas. Now don't laugh at me. I am planning on mounting an antenna on an old satellite TV mount on my roof. I might add a 4-6ft of aluminum pipe. I live on a hill. And I actually got a reception on a 5 watt HT at 21 miles once. I'm hoping to not do a tower. I'm looking for the right repeater antenna.

Nice, So I'm still debating on DB-404B, and Laird 4605, Laird 4607. Are all repeater capable?

yes

. Now don't laugh at me. I am planning on mounting an antenna on an old satellite TV mount on my roof. I might add a 4-6ft of aluminum pipe.

are we talking C-band or dish, big difference. If its dish I wouldn't trust it w/anything bigger than a 4603 on a 5' aluminum 1" pipe. Those thing fold or tear out of the roof w/o too much effort. Have seen that too many times.

On 4/18/2022 at 8:05 PM, JohnE said:

If its dish I wouldn't trust it w/anything bigger than a 4603 on a 5' aluminum 1" pipe. Those thing fold or tear out of the roof w/o too much effort. Have seen that too many times.

That mount and an aluminum pole would fold like a cheap suit trying to support a DB-404B.