Motorola GMRS bubble packs

Guest spd641

I have a pair of the MS350R . I was able to hit Verdugo & Harvard from Riverside with them. (provided your standing in the right spot) The sound is ok. You can split the PL's as well. Durability seems good, one of them has hit the pavement a couple times now and still works fine

• 2 weeks later...

yes, just bought a pair, opened carefully expecting to end up returning them. I just didn't expect to be returning them so soon. Yes they are repeater compatible, and amazingly easy to set up. did not test if they actually float or not, but I bet they do. However the range is not even half of a Cheap Chinese radio (CCR) in 1 watt mode. and the savings is relative. I decided to purchase another pair of CCR's instead. Anybody know anything about the TYT TH UVF9, ?  I like the pixie tube style display, spec's claim 4 watts and sounds almost the same as the UV5R.

yes, just bought a pair, opened carefully expecting to end up returning them. I just didn't expect to be returning them so soon. Yes they are repeater compatible, and amazingly easy to set up. did not test if they actually float or not, but I bet they do. However the range is not even half of a Cheap Chinese radio (CCR) in 1 watt mode. and the savings is relative. I decided to purchase another pair of CCR's instead. Anybody know anything about the TYT TH UVF9, ?  I like the pixie tube style display, spec's claim 4 watts and sounds almost the same as the UV5R.

If you are looking for a cheap and quick durable radio look at the Baofeng commerical/industrial types.   Bf-666, 777 and 888.   Look for the 5 watt models but the 3 watt ones work well.  They are 16 channel 400-470 mhz and usually run around $20-25 delivered.  They have a few models marketed as Commerical radios that are a few bucks more and are built a bit better.  But anyway what you get for $20 bucks is a decent sounding 5 watt radio with a 1500 mahr battery and charger and a detachable antenna.  They do the repeater splits and hold like 200 PLs and DPL's.  Programming cables are about five bucks and the software is downloadable through the Boafeng website.  I have two of the 666's that are in my go bags with a Nagoya NA-701 antenna upgrade (10 bucks).   To put is simply they work and are perfect for environments where your expensive HT shouldn't go.  Far better than any bubble pack. 

I am always amazed at the arrogance of Hams and Gummers. They cry foul when unlicensed users get on the air violating the FCC rules. Foul when FCC tries to change the rules and yet dont follow the rules themselves.

Hams run around with bubble pack radios since they look at GMRS as a toy radio service anyway. Gummers look down on the bubble pack radios as toys in their real radio service.

Fact is I have found little difference in how well commercial grade and the evil bubble pack radios transmit and receive in most circumstances.

Quality is better in commercial grade radios which is why they cost more. But there is nothing wrong with the consumer grade radios. And they do meet the Part 95 unlike most of the radios I see Hams and Gummers suggesting people use.

And yes I have both types.

Different tools for different jobs!    I don't think it comes from arrogance so much as it does real world experience.  I have HT's that would be classified as "bubble pack" and I have HT's and Mobiles that are both Ham and Commerical name brands costing several hundred.  I prefer the commercial radios for quality and durability.  That being said there is a place for cheap radios for emergencies, a trip to the beach or vacation.  But in my experience you cannot get the same quality from a $50 GMRS radio what you can from a good Icom or Ritron commercial radio.  10x the power for one, versatility of being able to upgrade the antenna and battery packs that last.  Audio is another good area, my Midland GMRS radios just do not sound as good as my other HT's.   JMHO Bill

If you are looking for a cheap and quick durable radio look at the Baofeng commercial/industrial types.   Bf-666, 777 and 888.   Look for the 5 watt models but the 3 watt ones work well. 

I ask a seller if these would do repeater splits and was told no. how did you make this work?

"Fact is I have found little difference in how well commercial grade and the evil bubble pack radios transmit and receive in most circumstances."

I have to disagree. I have a Baofeng UV5R, and while somewhat "versatile" it is quirky, and certainly not built tough enough for any commercial duty I have ever seen radios in. As a ham rig, a scanner, a light duty GMRS radio...it's ok, but not great...but I didn't expect much for $42. There is not way any of these cheap chinese knock offs hold a candle to a Motorola or other real radio. There is a WORLD of difference in quality, all around operation, etc in this stuff and Motorola portable, of which I have several. The UV5R is very prone to noise, and other "trash" that degrades it's receive. The TX is rated at 4 watts, and I find it does 1.5 to 2 in hi power mode. I also have some Audiovox GMRS/FRS radios I have kept around for a number of years. They are supposed to do 3 watts in high power mode and I beleive they are close. I use them on vacation for car - to - car comms, and if I lose one, I am not out much. The UV5R I consider an intermediate "toy", and normally keep it at home just to listen on, but I only expect so much out of it. When the real work is done, I carry a Motorola. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, this is mine.

I guess in summary.....just because a 1/2 Ton V6 Pickup can hitch to a big trailer, that doesn't mean you can pull it and don't need a 3/4 Ton Diesel!  

(Above mention of Motorola is in reference to Commercial/Professional Motorola radios - If I didn't make that clear).  

Bf-666, 777 and 888, all 3 of these. that's awesome to know.

I have the 666's, paid $42 for the pair.  Same cable as UV5R so if you have that you are good.  The program is the BF480 program available on the Baofeng Website.   Pretty basic program but it works.  They are decent radios for that price, 5 watts high, 2 watts low, 1500 mah batteries and charger.  Same antenna as the UV5r and speaker mic works as well.  I just wish the batteries were the same, they have a different mounting, that would be nice.   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BaoFeng-BF-888-S-UHF-400-470-MHz-5W-CTCSS-DCS-Portable-Handheld-2-way-Ham-Radio-/310644233807?pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item4853d6d64f   

There you go.   I have the 666's but there does not seem to be any real difference that I can tell.  I think the 777's are 3 Watt only.  All use the same software the BF-480.  Check the cable and make sure you can use the UV-5R.  Also check for Boafeng Commercial radios.  They have a few smaller units the size of the UV3R that are 2 Watt but look like a nice little radio. 

• 4 months later...

I wish to upgrade from the Midland 1000's I am using, to the bf-888, but I am a little confused about the 666's and the 777's, witch is the better of the 3?

Welcome Binko: you plan to us these for HAM bands or for GMRS? none of the Beofeng radios are Part95 certified for use on GMRS, so be aware if you use with GMRS you will not be legal. "if that is of concern to you.

Welcome Binko: you plan to us these for HAM bands or for GMRS? none of the Beofeng radios are Part95 certified for use on GMRS, so be aware if you use with GMRS you will not be legal. "if that is of concern to you.

I will be inputting the busness frec's that are used at both my reg. and P.T. jobs. I would like to add the one GMRS frec. that I normaly use with the 1000's.

I am just now starting to think about getting my Ham Lic. There are no GMRS repeaters in my area, I moved to N.W. Arkansas from Jersey, 13 miles from Ground Zero. There were a ton of repeters in that area so GMRS worked for my small Bussness

very good then. Yes, Yes, Yes get your Ham. it's pretty easy and opens up the air waves. If you already have basic radio knowledge and understand basic electricity, study for your General and Extra, you will do well. Also when you need technical help with GMRS a basic GMRS user will not be able to help you. If you really need help you can always count on a good HAM operator.

Sorry about your location, lol If I am more than a half hour from the ocean, I feel land locked.

I noticed you mentioned your small business. Keep in mind that ham is amateur radio and under no circumstances should be used for business purposes. To do so would inevitably get a nice fine. GMRS is not for use by businesses either, anyone doing so could wind up in the same boat as someone using ham improperly, but GMRS is far less policed by the community.

If you want something for short range (1-2 miles) without the need for a license, look into MURS channels 4 and 5. They are not to be used with more than 0.5 watts but they are in the VHF range and have good propagation in most geographic locations. If you want for personal use, then GMRS or ham are great services to use. I really enjoy the use of both services.

Indeed, as a Family Business you are allowed, even employees if they each obtain a GMRS license. What we have here in south Florida is Taxi, Tow trucks, Hotels and Apartment building services using GMRS, They make no call sign announcements, likely because they possess no license to begin with. I monitor the band and listen for info with regard to who they are and what kind of work/business. The FCC has a field office in Miami so complaints can be made locally. After I get my SWR fixed on my repeater, I will have more time to do the follow up work and make a report. Best regards Jim...