Wouxun KG-905G Reception vs. Old “Ham” H/T

Over2U

Question

4 answers to this question

I am genuinely curious how are you comparing the two? Subjective while using? Using a signal generator wired direct to both units? What is the signal source? Are you using antennas? If using antennas, are you using the exact same antenna with each radio in exactly the same spot using the exactly the same signal source? With or without PLs? Squelch at minimum on each radio?

When I am doing basic sensitivity comparisons of my radios I am using an FM signal generator wired directly to the radios so that I can objectively compare models. Just recently acquired an HP distortion analyzer so that I can confirm sensitivity against the rated SINAD value rather than relying on when the radios open squelch at the lowest setting.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

12 hours ago, mbrun said:

Good questions, please see my answers below:

What is the signal source?
  My signal generators are the Housekeepers making radio calls while working at the hotels about 1/2 mile from my house.

Are you using antennas? If using antennas, are you using the exact same antenna with each radio in exactly the same spot using the exactly the same signal source?

I have both radios side-by-side on my test bench (AKA: kitchen table). Antennas are similar and I get the same result even when I swap them.

With or without PLs? Squelch at minimum on each radio?

No PL and I have the GMRS Radio squelch set at minimum (1) and the ‘Ham’ radio closer to ‘mid’ (3 or 4).

Result: When the ‘Ham’ Radio picks up a conversation the GMRS Radio is either silent or so noisy with static as to be unreadable.