ARRL Membership

WRPH745

13 minutes ago, WRPC505 said:

Let me rephrase that. What I meant to say is that the ARRL began to change the way they did things at HQ and began to focus a LOT more on emergency comms as opposed to the other things that hams commonly did, more than was necessary. But it began top happen over time. And yes, you missed changes that began to appear after 9/11. I understand it to a point but it got really out of hand. It's not only my opinion, for a large number of hams over the years left ARRL because of that and more. Your mileage may vary, of course.

But what were those changes?

I keep renewing my membership every year. The ARRL is the only lobbying group representing Ham Radio Operators. It does help when an ARRL rep wants to talk to the FCC, or a Congress critter, when they understand they influence a few hundred thousand voters. And the ARRL, I believe, has a seat at the WRC, World Radio Administrative Conferences, held every few years. One might argue about their effectiveness but one thing is for sure if you don't have a seat at the table nobody will hear or care about your view point.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/18/2022 at 1:14 AM, fremont said:

Join.  They're not perfect but they do a lot for the hobby.  And, a hobby where most folks have at least 4-5 digits in gear so dues shouldn't be the main criterion for saying "no."

The difference in your comparison is if I have "4-5 digits" in ham gear then I have something worth 3-4 digits to show for my money.  All ARRL has given me for their annual fee was email spam.  Oh, and a magazine that I can't even give away.  I have 5 LARGE boxes of ARRL QST magazine spanning about 10 years stacked up in the garage that I've taken to every club meeting and still can't unload on anyone.  It's like trying to give away the Flu.  I even offered to tote them to the truck for them if they'll take them for free.

My new plan is to buy a roll of wrapping paper and wrap bundles of 5 QST mags and hand them out as Christmas gifts next month at the club Christmas party.  :)

I hear such comments all the time about various organizations, such as the NRA.  The gun toters all claimed the NRA has saved the world and we'd all be defenseless loyal slave subjects if the NRA didn't exist.  But it seems to me the other 270-something countries on the planet ham ham radio...with a few exceptions like North Korea...but they don't have ARRL.  So either believe what you hear or have a higher standard and believe what you see.  It's up to you.

Whats the CEO of the ARRL pulling down now?  $285,853 according to their IRS records.  Lucky guy.  Most hams don't earn 200G a year plus perks.  Yet I'm expected to send in a portion of my VA disability check (that keeps me just below the poverty level as it is) so the suit can fly to the conventions and stay at the Carolton Ritz and have an unlimited expense budget.  All for a rag I can't give away.  Oh and that poor ARRL Treasurer....$50,000 per year and the poor guy works an average of 5 hours per week according to IRS form 990.  What was the last month you took home a $4,100 paycheck for working 20 hours?

That is all.  Except for that adage about a fool and his money.

3 hours ago, LariatAdvance said:

I hear such comments all the time about various organizations, such as the NRA.  The gun toters all claimed the NRA has saved the world and we'd all be defenseless loyal slave subjects if the NRA didn't exist.  But it seems to me the other 270-something countries on the planet ham ham radio...with a few exceptions like North Korea...but they don't have ARRL.  So either believe what you hear or have a higher standard and believe what you see.  It's up to you.

Let's see, off the top of my head... Radio Society of Great Britain (RSGB)... Japan Amateur Radio League (JARL), Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC) -- and all the national groups listed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amateur_radio_organizations

3 hours ago, LariatAdvance said:

The difference in your comparison is if I have "4-5 digits" in ham gear then I have something worth 3-4 digits to show for my money.  All ARRL has given me for their annual fee was email spam.  Oh, and a magazine that I can't even give away...

Wow: you joined a GMRS Forum in July just to rant about a Ham Radio organization (and to say Welcome)?!? 

How do you feel about the price of turkeys this last week??? ?

PS: Thank you for your service. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2022 at 4:40 PM, MichaelLAX said:

Wow: you joined a GMRS Forum in July just to rant about a Ham Radio organization (and to say Welcome)?!? 

How do you feel about the price of turkeys this last week??? ?

My apologies.  I missed the part in the TOS where freedom of speech was conveyed only after a certain period of time on the forum.
And my turkey cost the same as it did the last 20 years....one round of Winchester Longbeard XR 3-inch, 1¾-ounce, No. 5.
Don't tell me you actually buy turkeys, city boy.   ?

You were worth it, Brother.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 9:31 PM, WRPH745 said:

I am debating about whether to join ARRL or not?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Of course, I may be a little too late, but you could go wrong join the ARRL. Then again, it is your choice. There may be some benefits that you'll find helpful or not, but it's your decision. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

I am on again off again in my support of the League.  Hobby radio in it's entirety needs some level of representation at a government level.  They do that.  

I question their support for ARES, although it's not at the level it was.  And don't get me wrong, ARES is important if it's done right.  Orange vests, a bandolier of radios and a lightbar on your POV is NOT doing it right.  But when that was all the rage, the League never really officially said to cut out the nonsense.  Which made them somewhat complicit in the wackerism.  That fad seems to have come and gone and it's a good thing to be rid of.  And for those that feel they weren't supporting it, the stupid badges that many of the wackers carried had ARRL right on them.  At a minimum the League could have told them NO.  Hell Ohio State University was trying to copyright THE.  And I believe they let them.  The League no doubt has a copy write on ARRL. 

All that being said, ham radio and the members of it are not what they once were.  And yes, the articles in QST and even the stuff in the Handbook show that loss of technical knowledge.  The articles are NOT what they were.  But they are something to get you interested enough to research the topics more and maybe implement something you read about.  But some of it, like the dumb umbrella antenna (reminds me of the folks with the antenna towers on their hats at Hamvention) article was truly lame and an indication they need more people writing technical articles for the magazine. 

I am gonna send them my money once a year.  Well, I will pay them at Hamvention, but I am not gonna be one of those that donates my house and gear to them in my Will.

57 minutes ago, WRKC935 said:

... (reminds me of the folks with the antenna towers on their hats at Hamvention) ...

It accomplished the same thing as I saw many Hams holding their HT's as high over their heads as they could get with the speaker mic hanging off them. At least those with the antenna on the hat towers did it with some artistic style.

1 hour ago, WRKC935 said:

Hell Ohio State University was trying to copyright THE.  And I believe they let them.  The League no doubt has a copy write on ARRL. 

You're thinking trademark.

Like the dog in my Profile Logo below my screenname (although technically it is a service mark - (SM) in that example)...

• 2 months later...

The ARRL is the only lobbying voice for the amateur radio service. I disagree with the ARRL frequently, but I do support them. For the last 5 years I just send them a $50 donation tot he legal defense fund instead of a membership.  

BUT

As a member, you do get access to every issue of QST every printed, online.  I have used that feature in the past for digging up articles, projects, parts lists, etc.  That was very handy to have.  You also get an email address in the arrl.net domain, which can come in very handy.  To use the Logbook of the World you do not have to be a member, but if you want the ARRL Worked All State or ARRL DXCC awards, you must be a current paid member, PLUS pay the fee for the printing of your award and the postage. 

I recommend membership to new hams.  LOADS of stuff on the website that is good info to the newer licensee, and QST has usually one or two articles every month that are of interest to most.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 6:31 PM, WRPH745 said:

I am debating about whether to join ARRL or not?

Thoughts?

Thanks

I did it, ARRL lifetime member. At the time, was $995, do it when young, better investment.

But annual member is great also, good lobbying group for radio spectrum.