Surecom SW-102... more like Unsuretrash...

gman1971

35 minutes ago, WROZ250 said:

Dunno, personally I prefer the analog meter movement over digital.  I suppose it could be argued that digital is easier to read, etc...  However, and especially when aligning at transmitter (yeah, I realize that isn't common in this hobby), it's a lot easier to see a peak with an analog meter than with digital (unless one is talking about lab quality, but even then...).

I have a analog Swan power meter that I use for measuring peak AM/SSB power, upto 3,000w.  It has a capacitive circuit that holds the peak and slowly drains off.  That is the only meter I use for tuning my radios or amps.  I use the Bird for legit engineering, bench testing and repairs.  I only use my Diamond and Surecom meters for monitoring low power FM power and SWR for day-to-day use. 

I'll make you laugh... I almost never use the Surecom unless I am looking for a "Wow!" factor for people who are new or know almost nothing about radio.  People love stuff that lights up!  LOL

40 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

I have a analog Swan power meter that I use for measuring peak AM/SSB power, upto 3,000w.  It has a capacitive circuit that holds the peak and slowly drains off.  That is the only meter I use for tuning my radios or amps.  I use the Bird for legit engineering, bench testing and repairs.  I only use my Diamond and Surecom meters for monitoring low power FM power and SWR for day-to-day use. 

I'll make you laugh... I almost never use the Surecom unless I am looking for a "Wow!" factor for people who are new or know almost nothing about radio.  People love stuff that lights up!  LOL

Maybe you need the one I just sent back.. like someone said, it will boost your ego LOL......

G.

10 hours ago, WROZ250 said:

Dunno, personally I prefer the analog meter movement over digital.  I suppose it could be argued that digital is easier to read, etc...  However, and especially when aligning at transmitter (yeah, I realize that isn't common in this hobby), it's a lot easier to see a peak with an analog meter than with digital (unless one is talking about lab quality, but even then...).

At the end of the day, all you really need care about is accuracy.  Even that term (accuracy) is a debatable statement, as 'accuracy' depends on the manufacturer's reference.  The common reference, at least for analog based meters, is n% accuracy at a full scale reading. 

Unfortunately, that does not equate to mid scale (or quarter or three quarter scale) accuracy of the same percent, so you need to verify/calibrate your meter.  BTW, I include Bird meters in that statement, although I seem to recall the back of meter (the 43 anyway) having some kind of calibration chart/scale (it's been a while since I had the luxury of using one).

Who knows what it is for a digital meter, so you have to hope for and read the specifications (if they exist) and, as with an analog meter, calibrate it.

I think a lot of people would love to have any of the Bird meters (they have an excellent reputation), but realistically, they are out of the financial budget of the average hobbyist.  Don't even get me started on collecting the plug in elements.  Indeed, the basic Bird43 costs more than most high end GMRS radios!

A quality dummy load probably is a good idea as well, as all dummy loads are not created equal.  Even a Bird coupled/calibrated against a bad load reference will be inaccurate.

Bottom line, buy the meter you can afford with the best reputation (in it's price range) and, if you're a 'watt counter' do some testing to discover any discrepancies in the meter or variances in readings across a given range.

Just one opinion (based on years of experience)... 

Some of the Birds have a Forward/Reflected chart that can be adhered to the back for SWR. Nothing on the back of mine.