Park City, Utah

klaberte

I am hoping to use my GMRS license (with immediate family members) at a future trip to Park City, Utah.  I plan to use while we are skiing.

I don't see a repeater that covers this area.  Am I missing one?

Also, without a repeater, what experiences have people had for this application?  Most of the time we would all be on the same side of the same mountain, but some times we may not be line-of-sight.  How well do handheld GMRS operate in such conditions?  Any tips?

You may want to look at a MURS radio...  https://www.buytwowayradios.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=Wouxun&tw_service=1499  I would call them (888) 569-9499 and ask... I have several Wouxun GMRS and heard that MURS is better point to point.  Now for skiing and hiking I like what this radio does.   I liked the T800 Talkabout  from Motorola BUT GMRS is not a good as MURS point to point or radio to radio...  Do call and ask around about GMRS and MURS..  I do not think Motorola has a GMRS or MURS rich radio but the below video what it does to link with iPhone for connecting...  Have a good safe trip and enjoy the kids.

Klaberte,

Do you already have some GRMS radios? Or are you looking to get something just for this trip? I have not used my GMRS handhelds skiing but have used them on foot and in vehicles in the mountains. If you already have them give it a try. I have been on the side of a mountain and talked to others up to a mile away without being in line of site. We were using 5w radios. I can talk to my daughter's family using the same handhelds house to house. I am at 3300 feet and they are 3.7 miles away at 2600 feet with a ridge between us blocking line of sight by about 80 feet.  Sounds like a fun trip, enjoy!

Sean