• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Tropical Weather Analyst, TSRC, Gulf Shores, Alabama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1457 posts
  • LocationMultiple locations in USA seasonally.

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

Members from south of Philadelphia through northern New England - This weekend we will see a return to near blizzard conditions and some of the coldest temperatures and wind chills that the general area has seen in 10 to 20 years.

Please review details through your local media broadcast stations and be prepared for weather related issues over the next 3 to 5 days.

Use this interactive map from NOAA to click on your home area for advisories and updates:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/largemap.php

======================================================

“These are not official advisories. These updates and advisories are based upon information from our own computer models, NOAA, Local Weather Data Centers, deep water Buoy Data, and other publicly available sources. FOR THE SAFETY OF YOUR PROPERTY AND PERSON, please refer to your Local, State, and Federal Authority updates for Official Advisories and Orders. For up to the minute advisories and official updates, it is essential that you monitor your local Emergency Government, NOAA and Local Media Broadcasts. Please do not make personal safety decisions based upon information presented here.”

http://www.gulfstorm.net/

Tropical Storm Research Center, Gulf Shores, Alabama.

===================================================

PastorGary -

Weather postings Copyrighted © TSRC, All Rights Reserved

#2 FrankNY

FrankNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPP614

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:50 AM

It has been extremely cold and windy here in Lower Manhattan this past weekend, although there has been little to no precipitation. Thankfully I had no reason to go out, with one exception: about 3:00 AM yesterday morning I was sitting here doing some Web site updates for a client and I heard the sound of a certain chair being blown about out on the balcony.

Being the responsible citizen that I am, and not wanting the chair to possibly get loose and go flying through the air and landing on someone's head 50 miles away, I opened the sliding door and stepped out onto the balcony to ensure that the chair was secured in place (tethered with the hooks of a bungee cord connected to the window frame) and not about to "take flight".

I was out there for all of 15 to 20 seconds. When I got back in, I realized that the INSIDE of my pants legs were FROZEN.

I may not go back out again until Spring! B)

Frank.

P.S. Meanwhile, the National Weather Service here in New York is off the air. Don't know why since no reason has been posted.

http://www.nws.noaa....ges/outages.php

• Logan5 likes this

#3 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationLong Island
  • GMRS Callsign:Ask Me
  • Ham Callsign:Ask Me

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:24 AM

Try the Riverhead NOAA system  162.475.

#4 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Tropical Weather Analyst, TSRC, Gulf Shores, Alabama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1457 posts
  • LocationMultiple locations in USA seasonally.

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:46 AM

We have some information made available by a retired NWS 'personality' locally that NOAA has decided to turn off some transmitters regionally on rotation for a few days or weeks at a time as a cost saving measure.  Evidently they are having budget issues and can't afford to pay their power bills as they once did.  This information is from ONLY one source, and may or may not be accurate.  However, two NOAA sites within 120 miles of my seasonal location were off line for 1 month each, but not at the same time.

#5 FrankNY

FrankNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPP614

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:15 PM

Try the Riverhead NOAA system  162.475.

Billy, thank you for the suggestion, but the Riverhead, Long Island, WXM80 transmitter on 162.475 MHz, which I assume is the station to which you refer, is too far out for me to receive here on the Lower West Side of Manhattan. It is, after all, intended to cover Suffolk County, which isn't quite in my backyard.

What I do sometimes receive on 162.475 is the KIH28 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania transmitter, but reception isn't at all reliable. Works in one room but not in the other.

Whenever KWO35 on 162.550 (the station that serves all five boroughs of New York City, Rockland and Westchester Counties, plus a good portion of Northeastern New Jersey) is out of service, conditions permitting, I pick up a weak signal from the State College, Pennsylvania transmitter on 162.550.

Regards,

Frank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users