Noob on GMRS

Tonkatoy01

Hello fello radio enthusiasts. I live in Suffolk County New York. I know their are repeaters near by. I have Two Uniden Frs/GMRS radios. I plan on doing some Kayacking this summer and want to bring the radios for fun and in case of Emergency. What channel number would I use if I actually did need to get ahold of someone in an Emergency? The radios I bought were from (West Marine) in West Islip New York. They are water resistant, float and supposedly have a fifty mile range. Thank you for any and all input... Stay Safe

LMAO  @ 50 mile range. Welcome to forum TonkaToy. Glad to have you here. generally you would contact another person in your group, a GMRS radio is not specifically an emergency radio, but can be used as such if the comms are already there. If cell service is available 911 is your best option. Best regards Jim...

Hello, and Welcome to MyGMRS Forums.   The bubble pack radio range and distance claims are published under "laboratory conditions" from one wilderness mountain top to another.  In real world scenarios, you can probably expect an effective range between identical radios, under average terrain situations, of 2 to 5 miles max... and in most cases quite a bit less.

As Logan5 mentioned, a cell phone in a specifically designed waterproof bag is your best bet.  The only way that I would rely on GMRS ONLY is to set up a temporary base station and gain type antenna at a staging area midway between your river entry and exit points and TEST the radio reception from shore all along that route BEFORE your departure and have someone stationed at that temporary base station during the trip.  You also may wish to verify that there actually IS cellphone service in those areas as well - before you venture out. 

Rarely are any specific GMRS frequenices monitored routinely by official agencies for emergencies. That type of network simply does not exist.

Best of luck and be safe...

There are several good ones in the area.  I doubt mine will be of any use to you in Bayshore with a HT to West Babylon (ENIGMA, my repeater).   It does have very good HT coverage at Robert Moses if that is where you are Kayacking.  This website has a very good repeater database.  Give it a look and see if something comes closer.  If you have any questions feel free to PM me.