GMRS travel channel

WRBS433

The almighty and great Queen Randy(Notarubicon) has officially designated, in the absence of leadership, that GMRS channel 19 should be the "official" channel for traveling ie.( highway use) for those who are operating GMRS radios.  I agree with him if we start the movement it will be the standard just like channel 19 was in the day of the CB riggers.  

Only those with a GMRS license are "authorized" to key the PTT on the radio however.  All fun aside this is a great idea and should be unofficially adopted just like channel 19 was for the CB radio guys.  What say you?

15 minutes ago, WRBS433 said:

The almighty and great Queen Randy(Notarubicon) has officially designated, in the absence of leadership, that GMRS channel 19 should be the "official" channel for traveling ie.( highway use) for those who are operating GMRS radios.  I agree with him if we start the movement it will be the standard just like channel 19 was in the day of the CB riggers.  

Only those with a GMRS license are "authorized" to key the PTT on the radio however.  All fun aside this is a great idea and should be unofficially adopted just like channel 19 was for the CB radio guys.  What say you?

I would support the idea if it weren’t for the fact that 10 - 12 million people live far enough north that they are not allowed to use channel 19 because of an agreement with Canada.

Just remember, that as predicted in the proclamation video, "some people" will always and forever spew reasons why Ch19 (any channel, actually) is not "the right choice", and will argue about it as they have for years, accomplishing nothing.. Those people are not invited to join with the rest of us normal people on Ch19..  They can go talk to themselves on some other channel..

My name is Queen Randy and I approve this message.

There are only two GMRS channels that may not be used above Line A: channels 19 and 21.  I understand the desire to pay homage to “Channel 19”, but having a “Road Channel” that people within 100 miles of the Canadian border could use, such as the citizens of “Motor City” or Seattle, might be important.  The channel 19 touch was a cool idea, though.  It’s just better to have a single road channel that anyone can use.

Well, I specifically put a repeater up on 675 with a PL of 141.3 because that WAS at one time the designated traveler channel and traveler tone.  The only other listed repeater in the area was the clown with the for profit business selling air time.  So I figured it was the right thing to do.  I honestly don't care if y'all decide it needs to be different, the repeater is on it air and I ain't changing it.  

And to sort of quote WROZ250.  Why are we rehashing this AGAIN???

Dude saw a video on YouTube and decided that it needed to be discussed in it's own new thread after we generated how many pages of discussion on this topic?

I'm sorry but I am all for requiring your first 5 posts to require being approved by a moderator and a rule in place saying that you have to search the site before posting a new topic.  One of the boards I moderate has a back end that when you type a topic for a new post, there is an area that populates with similar topics right below it.  And it will ask you if you want to post an already discussed topic.  Moreover, if you DO post a topic that's already been beaten to death, it gets added to the other thread or deleted and you get a strike for posting it.   

12 hours ago, Sshannon said:

There are only two GMRS channels that may not be used above Line A: channels 19 and 21.  I understand the desire to pay homage to “Channel 19”, but having a “Road Channel” that people within 100 miles of the Canadian border could use, such as the citizens of “Motor City” or Seattle, might be important.  The channel 19 touch was a cool idea, though.  It’s just better to have a single road channel that anyone can use.

Or, use 19 in most of the US and in areas it is not allowed offset it 1 channel up to 20. 

8 hours ago, BoxCar said:

Nope. They shifted to 17 at the Idaho or Oregon orders. Most of the ones newly into the region usually got the channel change at their first truck stop or at a scale.

Back in the early 1970s, in the great lakes area, the truckers were on CB channel 11.  I think the whole channel 19 as a road channel thing grew out of people hearing that dip-shit song Convoy, like a lot of the CB boom.  Before the 'boom' (and that stupid song) in the mid 1970s there was usually 23 channels of mostly static and 5W AM with a modest antenna was good for many miles (without 'skip').  CB Channel 19 was never really any kind of standard, and the 'road channel' was more of a case by case geographical thing.

As far as GMRS road channel...

IMHO, if a 'road channel' was something that was ever going to become popular, it would have happened years ago with 462.675 and CTCSS 141.3 when it was the suggested channel.  GMRS is way more popular than it even has been, but it's just not something that John Q Public is going to have in his car and use on vacation or traveling to grandma's house for Christmas. 

Indeed, the popularity of CB is way down all these years later, it has become a borderline wasteland populated mostly by die hard 'hobbyists', most of whom are using SSB these days, foul mouth truckers, and nut jobs running a couple thousand watts talking to nobody, none of these demographics follow the rules.  Compound that with the complications of GMRS of having to know how to program/change CTCSS/DCS codes, programming a radio, etc.. none of which has to be done with a CB radio.

It might sound like a nice idea to some, but it is just not something that will ever happen.  The nature and limitations of GMRS... it doesn't make sense and, as someone else mentioned, groups that do need to coordinate their communication have long since settled on a (GMRS) channel and/or other radio services and/or technologies.

John Q Public.. you find them down on the bubble pack radio channels, usually channel 1 and what ever tone (if any) it was on when they pulled it out of the box.

I doubt that any of the current people calling for this could even get it rolling in their local area, nevermind nationally.

All that said, this is such a redundant and beat to death topic, perhaps the admins will ban it going forward.

?

13 hours ago, WROZ250 said:

Back in the early 1970s, in the great lakes area, the truckers were on CB channel 11.  I think the whole channel 19 as a road channel thing grew out of people hearing that dip-shit song Convoy, like a lot of the CB boom.  Before the 'boom' (and that stupid song) in the mid 1970s there was usually 23 channels of mostly static and 5W AM with a modest antenna was good for many miles (without 'skip').  CB Channel 19 was never really any kind of standard, and the 'road channel' was more of a case by case geographical thing.

As far as GMRS road channel...

IMHO, if a 'road channel' was something that was ever going to become popular, it would have happened years ago with 462.675 and CTCSS 141.3 when it was the suggested channel.  GMRS is way more popular than it even has been, but it's just not something that John Q Public is going to have in his car and use on vacation or traveling to grandma's house for Christmas. 

Indeed, the popularity of CB is way down all these years later, it has become a borderline wasteland populated mostly by die hard 'hobbyists', most of whom are using SSB these days, foul mouth truckers, and nut jobs running a couple thousand watts talking to nobody, none of these demographics follow the rules.  Compound that with the complications of GMRS of having to know how to program/change CTCSS/DCS codes, programming a radio, etc.. none of which has to be done with a CB radio.

It might sound like a nice idea to some, but it is just not something that will ever happen.  The nature and limitations of GMRS... it doesn't make sense and, as someone else mentioned, groups that do need to coordinate their communication have long since settled on a (GMRS) channel and/or other radio services and/or technologies.

John Q Public.. you find them down on the bubble pack radio channels, usually channel 1 and what ever tone (if any) it was on when they pulled it out of the box.

I doubt that any of the current people calling for this could even get it rolling in their local area, nevermind nationally.

All that said, this is such a redundant and beat to death topic, perhaps the admins will ban it going forward.

?

Yes, this should be hammered in stone and followed around the globe.  This idea has gone too far and needs the FCA to step in and maybe delegate authority to newly converted GMRS/amateur ham radio operators thru a posted decal to squelch this spoken belief.  These duly appointed personnel should be blessed with authority to set a (local) fine for such group conversations as well as any discussions on GMRS or FRS frequencies, in any attempts to sway local users.  Discussions of this nature is an abomination spread thru the global internet that is taking control of the free speech in all radio kingdoms and is in such, detrimental to the free flow of the natural being of a good idea. All licensing will remain the same and fines will levied IAW the perpetuated level of enthusiasm to all individuals whom persist!  Just an idea...

On 5/13/2022 at 11:42 PM, Sshannon said:

I would support the idea if it weren’t for the fact that 10 - 12 million people live far enough north that they are not allowed to use channel 19 because of an agreement with Canada.

And 300+million can use it on 99% of the highway miles through the US.  And then there's the little thing that the agreement is moot because Canada doesn't appear to really restrict its use anymore.

And 300+million can use it on 99% of the highway miles through the US.  And then there's the little thing that the agreement is moot because Canada doesn't appear to really restrict its use anymore.

True. It's the ones that don't know about line a and c. Read the internet or watch clips from influencer and are unaware they just violated a international treaty.

It is our job as a community to watch out for it as a whole. How many times are the same questions asked? It is the nature of the hobby. Not like gmrs actually requires a test.

As someone who use to cross line a to visit in laws on a regular basis pre covid. Thos frequencies are very much in use, by public safety and other services.

So it behoofs us to use a frequency that is ok to use for the entire country.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, H8SPVMT said:

Yes, this should be hammered in stone and followed around the globe.  This idea has gone too far and needs the FCA to step in and maybe delegate authority to newly converted GMRS/amateur ham radio operators thru a posted decal to squelch this spoken belief.  These duly appointed personnel should be blessed with authority to set a (local) fine for such group conversations as well as any discussions on GMRS or FRS frequencies, in any attempts to sway local users.  Discussions of this nature is an abomination spread thru the global internet that is taking control of the free speech in all radio kingdoms and is in such, detrimental to the free flow of the natural being of a good idea. All licensing will remain the same and fines will levied IAW the perpetuated level of enthusiasm to all individuals whom persist!  Just an idea...

It isn't about killing ideas or censorship, it is about a specific topic that has been beat to death so many times and on so many sites, that has become an annoyance for a lot of people.

I would point out again that even the proponents of the 'national travel channel' can't seem to get it going even on a local level.

This topic is a proverbial 'broken record'.

Honestly, I think it keeps coming up because the OP didn't research the topic before posting, or just enjoys creating controversy.

Perhaps the best thing to do here, is rather than even comment or suggest the topic be moderated, is to simply ignore it, lest someone take a dissenting view and extrapolate it to the Nth degree to suggest it means something far more sinister.

?

39 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

And what about the emergency channel?  As I recall channel 9 used to be actively monitored for emergencies.  

In the FRS/GMRS side 9 would be a very poor choice due to 0.5w limits there. The kid in me says 6 would be the best alternate since you could monitor 6 on one service and 9, and who can't easily remember 6/9. But, as we know, while FRS radio would be limited to 2W an all the channels outside the 8-14 range, a GMRS radio can go to 50w on 15-22 and if you have an emergency you want to most reach you can get.

Several of us in the Texas Coastal Bend region are using ch 19 with no tones. And  I have heard  a few conversations on ch 19 in the last month while on short trips. All  seemed to be folks travelling  together driving down the highway.. I do monitor ch 19 while around my base radio .

It's funny, I travel and go wheeling up and down the east coast several times a month. I never hear anything on 19 on the highway, but I always hear people on 20.

And as far as offroad, at the National and private parks I hear people on every channel pair.  This weekend I was at AOAA doing some wheeling and there had to have been well over 200 people sharing 22 channels. It was busy.

Anecdotal, I know. Just sharing an experience. 

12 hours ago, kidphc said:

True. It's the ones that don't know about line a and c. Read the internet or watch clips from influencer and are unaware they just violated a international treaty.

It is our job as a community to watch out for it as a whole. How many times are the same questions asked? It is the nature of the hobby. Not like gmrs actually requires a test.

As someone who use to cross line a to visit in laws on a regular basis pre covid. Thos frequencies are very much in use, by public safety and other services.

So it behoofs us to use a frequency that is ok to use for the entire country.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Channel 19 is a no brainer for the reasons that have been hashed over and over.  KISS method.  Simple.  Simplex.  19. 

And the Canadians are now able to use channel 19.  So if 12,000,000 people petition the FCC, I'm sure they'll get their attention and can scratch the agreement.  Then everyone will be happy.

Let's see how many signatures we can get in that border zone and get that changed.