GMRS travel channel

WRBS433

Just remember, that as predicted in the proclamation video, "some people" will always and forever spew reasons why Ch19 (any channel, actually) is not "the right choice", and will argue about it as they have for years, accomplishing nothing.. Those people are not invited to join with the rest of us normal people on Ch19..  They can go talk to themselves on some other channel..

My name is Queen Randy and I approve this message.
Actually, there is another channel that has been in place for decades. 462.675 pl 141.3 has been the recognized travel channel for decades. Many repeaters are here, on this frequency/tone.

It would have been a good idea to do your homework before all this. All you are doing is creating confusion.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, axorlov said:

Leave them alone, the influenzers and their court. People who can read and able to put 2+2 together will find out about 462.675-141.3 very quickly. Those who have youtube-watching gland overdeveloped will congregate on channel nineteen. Win for everybody.

Sooner or later somebody will propose using channel 2 for dirt bikes (2 wheels), channel 3 (3 wheel types), channel 4 (for the Jeep crowd), channel 19 for those that can’t figure out the logic for the first few channels etc. Yup, something for everyone. Get enough people confused that means less people jamming up your favorite “official” road channel.

I don’t mind OffroaderX proposing this (In fact I enjoy his videos), and I don’t mind having it discussed again for people who have recently joined the forum.  I just happen to disagree with it because of Line A.  However, it really won’t ever affect me to be honest, because I live near Line A and because I don’t expect to drive around with my GMRS radio on anyway.  If I ever do it will be with a group of people and we’ll select something else so we don’t interfere with the Road Channel.

On 5/15/2022 at 8:48 PM, DanW said:
Channel 19 is a no brainer for the reasons that have been hashed over and over.  KISS method.  Simple.  Simplex.  19. 
And the Canadians are now able to use channel 19.  So if 12,000,000 people petition the FCC, I'm sure they'll get their attention and can scratch the agreement.  Then everyone will be happy.
Let's see how many signatures we can get in that border zone and get that changed.  

Nah.. would rather have my ham repriocity then anything I would gain from GMRS over any change.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, jwilkers said:

Well, where I'm going with this is that the travel and calling frequency has already been established.  Why is it necessary to come up with another one.  Just support the existing standard.

There is no standard channel for travel. Some are advocating to establish one. I would like to suggest we use two.an odd numbered channel for N/S travel and an even numbered one for E/W. It would be easy to remember, just match the channel to the last digit of the route you are on. 

27 minutes ago, kidphc said:

Nah.. would rather have my ham repriocity then anything I would gain from GMRS over any change.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Actually, did more research shocking. Looks like sometime around 2004 Canada reclassified their FRS/GMRS into FRS/GMRS/GMRS-M. GMRS-M seams to mimic the MURS. Although our MURS is on 151-154 MHZ.

Short is our CH19 is their CH9. Which is allocated to GMRS. I guess the FCC is slower then I thought. Being lIne A and C really are only now a consideration for the 467 side of the repeater pair. Since they decided to drop the 467 MHz (8)pairs for GMRS repeater use and no longer made them available.

/sarcasm shocking the FCC hasn't updated the rules on the US side for LineA/C /sarcasm

Canadian 462/467 Spectrum Permit License Exempt 

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf08144.html

1 hour ago, jwilkers said:

Well, where I'm going with this is that the travel and calling frequency has already been established.  Why is it necessary to come up with another one.  Just support the existing standard.

1 hour ago, BoxCar said:

There is no standard channel for travel. Some are advocating to establish one. I would like to suggest we use two.an odd numbered channel for N/S travel and an even numbered one for E/W. It would be easy to remember, just match the channel to the last digit of the route you are on. 

I mentioned this before.  I think there is some confusion between two different conversations being had here.  I think people are mixing up ORI compared to a standard simplex channel.

In early to mid-2000’s, Popular Wireless and the Personal Radio Association came up with the idea of an Open Repeater Initiative (ORI). It was designed to get repeater owners to open up and share resources instead of locking them down, reducing difficulty to get access to a GMRS Repeater system. The idea was to make it easier for a GMRS licensee to use available resources.

The ORI standards were simple.  ORI epeaters were open to all users regardless of a club/group membership or not.  Implementation of the 141.3 CTCSS/PL, which was and still is referred to as the “travel tone”, so people could program their radios as a standard when traveling or visiting different areas.  Lastly, the repeater pair 462/467.675 (rCH 20) was to be used.  However, as time moved on, it morphed into any repeater pair using 141.3 as a standard PL access and did not require prior permission.

Even though Popular Wireless and the Personal Radio Association are gone, the spirit of ORI still lives on today.  While many people consider repeater pair 462/467.675 (rCh20) the official travel channel because of the verbiage of "travel tone" of the rCh20 pair, I am not convinced this is what @OffRoaderX and others are talking about when supporting CH19 as the road channel (or travel channel).  I believe they are advocating use of a simplex channel with no tone.  So, anywhere you go, regardless of if a repeater is around, you have a main channel to communicate on while traveling.

Also, if I understand them correctly, using a channel other than 20 is a good idea to reduce confusion and accidental interference from cross-traffic on channel 20, since so many repeater owners are still honoring the spirit or ORI.

So, Randy... am I completely off base or does that somewhat sum up what you're discussing and advocating for?

2 hours ago, marcspaz said:

While many people consider repeater pair 462/467.675 (rCh20) the official travel channel because of the verbiage of "travel tone" of the rCh20 pair, I am not convinced this is what @OffRoaderX and others are talking about when supporting CH19 as the road channel (or travel channel).  I believe they are advocating use of a simplex channel with no tone.  So, anywhere you go, regardless of if a repeater is around, you have a main channel to communicate on while traveling.

So, Randy... am I completely off base or does that somewhat sum up what you're discussing and advocating for?

Correct - A (simplex) channel to talk to other travelers/get road checks/etc, while on the road - just like good old CB Ch19.

Discussing it here doesn't matter though, because none of the discussion, arguing, and bragging about who has "worked in the industry" longest is going to make any difference at all.

3 hours ago, kidphc said:

/sarcasm shocking the FCC hasn't updated the rules on the US side for LineA/C /sarcasm

That's something the FCC can't just wave a magic rule change at. Frequency allotments and sharing between countries are set in treaties and only the Senate can change the treaty which allows the FCC to change the rule.

2 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Correct - A (simplex) channel to talk to other travelers/get road checks/etc, while on the road - just like good old CB Ch19.

Discussing it here doesn't matter though, because none of the discussion, arguing, and bragging about who has "worked in the industry" longest is going to make any difference at all.

Well, I hope my post may help clear things up. I doubt it, but hopefully. 

I know I stir the pot with some of my posts about this, but reality is, this is my current and typical daily situation while I'm driving around...

20220517_150055.thumb.jpg.e0542bffeb267ff5341a1a9b063ab971.jpg

I'm probably still go a stir the pot when this topic pops up though. LOL

I usually have my radio on scan so it doesn’t matter much. It doesn’t take long to scan 15 channels. I have the radio programmed to stop when the PTT button is pressed on a channel I want to use with activity. It also helps to program in a decently long delay before scan resumes too.

2 hours ago, WRBS433 said:

Wow, as the OP who knew "you people" are just like the rest of the radio nerds.  Checking out from this b.s. now good luck with your "hobby".

Let me get this right.... you come in here more than a week ago, make 1 post to stir the pot on a subject you know very well has history on this forum. Act shocked by the same responses that are in every other thread about this and then pop smoke with a backhanded snarky attitude.

Does that about sum this up?

Did someone put you up to this or are you just terrible at being a troll all on your own?

I just got my GMRS and figured this would be more appropriate for my needs. Friday/Saturday we drove from middle TN to Columbia SC. I found very little simplex action (only heard ONE conversation outside ATL), I-40 had the gorge shutdown and Google routed us, and nothing on the repeater channels (absolutely my fault in programming I'm sure). That was disappointing but I'm used to that.  I have a long way to go, and have a KG-UV9GX back ordered thanks to Randy! LOL
I try to do more reading than typing but thought I would add, I've earned my technician before the GMRS. The sad hams have totally turned me off the ham aspect.  I also get that people tend to be myopic and post before researching. I see it all of the time on the gun boards I frequent. To I gotta say, as Randy predicted the sad GMRS' are surfacing. 

I live in the mountains of southeast TN. You should have been able to hear a lot of traffic from the NGa GMRS group as most of their repeaters are linked. I listen to their traffic on an HT.
That was my thinking as well. I'm sure I've jacked up something. It's a uv-82hp, and I've focused on the ham side. I wasn't on the forum when we went thru so I'm still sorting out the settings.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, TNRonin said:

I just got my GMRS and figured this would be more appropriate for my needs. Friday/Saturday we drove from middle TN to Columbia SC. I found very little simplex action (only heard ONE conversation outside ATL), I-40 had the gorge shutdown and Google routed us, and nothing on the repeater channels (absolutely my fault in programming I'm sure). That was disappointing but I'm used to that.  I have a long way to go, and have a KG-UV9GX back ordered thanks to Randy! LOL
I try to do more reading than typing but thought I would add, I've earned my technician before the GMRS. The sad hams have totally turned me off the ham aspect.  I also get that people tend to be myopic and post before researching. I see it all of the time on the gun boards I frequent. To I gotta say, as Randy predicted the sad GMRS' are surfacing. 

Are you on the gun board that has a ham section in their outdoors section? 

Are you on the gun board that has a ham section in their outdoors section? 
Yes, if you are talking about the -15. But I gotta say, I'm preferring you guys. LOL

I'd like add that I have no GMRS repeaters within reach.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk