Running Node on Raspberry Pi 4/Modifying Hamvoip

FrostyFruits

Question

Before doing anything. DO NOT USE the sd card your node is currently running on. Get yourself a blank sd card incase there's any issues, you can just pop your original sd card back in.

Files to download:

pi4.zip nodeupdate.zip template.zip

DON'T FORGET TO PORT FORWARD to the local ip address and port number used.

First use winSCP to log into your current node that's running. Open up iax.conf to get your node password.

/etc/asterisk/iax.conf

image.png.027ee825cbc8bdacba2b45db5e22c2fe.png

Head over to hamvoip.org to download the newest image file.

image.thumb.png.3a0e1b5a1eb1b2635690aa08468cbea0.png

Make sure you have Win32 Disk Imager installed. Use it to install the new image to the blank sd card. 

image.png.6daa9a1a9323536c9c37741ed7540c45.png

After it's done installing don't remove the sd card yet. Open it up in file explorer and add the 2 files in pi4.zip to it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b282941b4952c2b29aa48da70dfdb8d4.jpeg

You can now safely remove sd card and add to your Raspberry Pi 4. Let it boot up with ethernet cable installed for a few mins. Log into your router and look for the newest ip address/name. Mine was labeled as alarmpi 192.168.1.192.

Use the ip address and SSH into it with winSCP using the default credentials. There's a few things your gonna wanna change.

Download nodeupdate.zip and copy/paste the files to the correct folders.

/usr/local/etc/rc.updatenodelist

image.png.5b6a1d83bf79c71abe50dfaa9a4827e0.png

/var/lib/asterisk/rpt_extnodes_gmrs

image.png.ce882ab1daf1ea99dda0a5b701ab2fb9.png

Next download template.zip and install those files in the correct folder.

/usr/local/etc/asterisk_tpl/

image.png.ef064c6abc09e8c4ec1de22ca70b0699.png

You can now log in with putty and go through the node set up process. Change your hostname to node-XXXXX or whatever you'd like. Add your node number and password when prompted. 

After your done with the node setup you can use the menu to change your wifi. Let your node reboot.

Use winSCP to log back into your node and navigate to extensions.conf to add your node number where it says NODE = ${NODE}. It doesn't change during the setup process. 

/etc/asterisk/extensions.conf

image.png.e084b5f8c3f5ff015687a6f86823036b.png

Go into rpt.conf and look for extnodefile and change it to the following if it isn't already set.

image.thumb.png.127ed7a7a26076e0484ef73b0cadbd5b.png

While in winSCP hit the putty icon

image.png.589c5da4cb06ee70a135f6729b91f78d.png

When the menu pops up hit 9 to enter command line.

Change your crontab -e to run rc.updatenodelist

image.thumb.png.b4c38d7540dec466498dea5f3adb5212.png

You should be able to connect to other nodes at this point.

Don't forget to check out the updated tone list I added in rpt.conf

image.thumb.png.98b365bb75cfb9faf5ef271ebf8c505c.png

4 hours ago, m4f1050 said:

I was having an issue at with the rc.updatenodelist - my issue is listed above and the fox I did for it.  But node not in database hasn't worked, everything else has been fine.

Is your rc.updatenodelist timing out also?  I have a lot of these processes running at the same time, does not look normal, the version on the image on myGMRS exits and doesn’t hang…

EDIT:

I don't use asterisk with HAM so I added an "exit 0" after it queries the rpt_extnodes_gmrs and moved on....  Still need to figure out how to show in the database on supermon...

50 minutes ago, fpcaptain said:

I was having an issue at with the rc.updatenodelist - my issue is listed above and the fox I did for it.  But node not in database hasn't worked, everything else has been fine.

I searched and figured out how to fix the issue.  You need to edit (I installed verison 1.7 of hamvoip.org so the folder might be different for you) /srv/http/allmon2/astdb.txt

It's going to take me a while to create this file, since I have to go through every node on the network to get the information...  Here is an example:

; NODE|CALL SIGN|FREQ./DESCRIPTION|LOCATION

100|myGMRS Network|Nationwide Hub|Dallas, TX
169|myGMRS Network|Midwest Hub|Midwest, IA
172|myGMRS Network|Northeast Hub|Albany, NY
174|myGMRS Network|Southeast Hub|Atlanta, GA
175|myGMRS Network|Southern Plains Hub|Oklahoma City, OK
176|myGMRS Network|Southwest Hub|Las Vegas, NV
177|myGMRS Network|Mountain Hub|Boise, MD
21211|WRUS599|Orlando 575|Orlando, FL
24222|WQGU515|Williamsport 675|Williamsport, Lycoming County, PA

I got everything sorted out, all I need to do is finish editing this file.  On the rc.updatenodelist I just added an "exit 0" after the $WGET -q -O /var/lib/asterisk/rpt_extnodes_gmrs https://link.mygmrs.com/nodes

It would be nice if mygmrs.com had a way of querying the database and returning us this information.   ?

Unfortantly for myself, even after following all the steps and going through it all. I am no where near getting my node to connect to the net. Thats what I get. now the back story to my system is I am running the hamvoip on a pi 4b I have followed all the the steps and even went further and followed several others on here and doing some bug shooting and fixing some of the code lines still no closer to connecting.  I have sent out 2 emails to hope and get help. I realize that the mygmrs image wasn't meant for the new pi's but when you can only work with what you have I have a pi 4b and can not afford to buy another one. I am more incline to run this on a virtual if it would work ( i have another system running on virtual and working well). Finding this thread gave me hope to use the 4b and get with mygmrs and put my repeater on the map for NC. Could really use help here to get fully online and get connected with everyone else.

Thank you in advance.

wrta613

Screenshot (2).png

On 11/13/2022 at 3:38 AM, m4f1050 said:

I searched and figured out how to fix the issue.  You need to edit (I installed verison 1.7 of hamvoip.org so the folder might be different for you) /srv/http/allmon2/astdb.txt

It's going to take me a while to create this file, since I have to go through every node on the network to get the information...  Here is an example:

I got everything sorted out, all I need to do is finish editing this file.  On the rc.updatenodelist I just added an "exit 0" after the $WGET -q -O /var/lib/asterisk/rpt_extnodes_gmrs https://link.mygmrs.com/nodes

It would be nice if mygmrs.com had a way of querying the database and returning us this information.   ?

I haven't had the time to update this file, it takes a while since I have to go to the node on the map, and click on it to find out the owner (to get call sign)..

Example:  https://mygmrs.network/map/21211 and after you click on the repeater name, it shows you the owner and when you click on it, you can get the call sign..

I am maintaining this file at https://xtreme-toyz.net/astdb.txt

I attached an updated astdb.php that pull this file.

If you would like to help maintain it, please send me the info NODE|CALL SIGN|NAME|LOCATION like shown above.

Thanks!

astdb.php

On 11/13/2022 at 3:38 AM, m4f1050 said:

have you completed that list? If you have I would love a copy to add to mine so that I can update mine as well. Give me a message via email WRTA613@gmail.com

On 3/11/2023 at 5:03 PM, WRTA613 said:

I have done the most I can with that I found. Included is the updated astdb.txt file for anyone that is still having issues.

astdb.txt 6.64 kB · 1 download

I saw some of my updates were on this file so I swapped it with mine, I will go over mine and add any of the nodes I had added prior to the swap.

https://xtreme-toyz.net/astdb.txt

Thanks!