Problem with UV-9G Transmit

WRTB324

First, I'm brand new to GMRS and this is my first radio (received yesterday). Any issues are most likely me! My UV-9G will not make any sound when hitting the transmit key and the screen light stays dark. I have tried various frequencies, yes the volume is up, the radio is on and I tried a reset. I just watched a Notarubicon video on CHIRP and check to see if the PTT button was locked out and it is not. Any other ideas are appreciated. 

Does it receive? If you scan, will it stop and receive signals from other transmitters?

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I'm also new, and received my UV-9G about a month ago. It worked perfectly right out of the box. I've since made some changes and adjustments which have helped it perform better, but if yours does not work right out of the box, it very well might be a faulty radio and should be returned/exchanged.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:16 PM, WRTB324 said:

First, I'm brand new to GMRS and this is my first radio (received yesterday). Any issues are most likely me! My UV-9G will not make any sound when hitting the transmit key and the screen light stays dark. I have tried various frequencies, yes the volume is up, the radio is on and I tried a reset. I just watched a Notarubicon video on CHIRP and check to see if the PTT button was locked out and it is not. Any other ideas are appreciated. 

My first UV-9G worked great.  The second one had to be returned due to some glitches, it would not pick FM Radio and it seemed to have a short circuit or something.  The third one (to replace the second) also does not pick up FM Radio, but other features work fine.

When you turn off the radio, then turn it back on while holding down the 6 key, do you see "200306M"?  That's the version that I have, I don't know if it means anything significant though, but I'm curious.

back4more70, a few minutes ago I created a new post in the Equipment Reviews section.  The post mentions that some Baofeng radios which supported broadcast FM reception might not do so due to chip shortages.

My new post provides additional info.

11 hours ago, mrgmrs said:

back4more70, a few minutes ago I created a new post in the Equipment Reviews section.  The post mentions that some Baofeng radios which supported broadcast FM reception might not do so due to chip shortages.

My new post provides additional info.

saw that, thank you

53 minutes ago, TNRonin said:

And if your are trying to utilize GMRS and FRS you are probably locked out, tho I've read there is an unlock process that works and is easy. Literally hold some buttons and turn the radio on.

I tried this, it didn't work for mine. Maybe my source had the wrong button combination.

FM radio isn't connected to the "unlock" process. Notarubicon has the correct info on YouTube. It seems to only be for Amateur Radio units to open things such as GMRS, MURS & Marine bands. Think Baofeng 5r varieties. Unfortunately I've not found any such unlock for the UV-9G. 

On 6/2/2022 at 5:16 PM, WRTB324 said:

I also have the UV-9G and am getting the same whenever I program any local repeater.  Just bought 2 of them earlier this week and delivered yesterday.   No matter what when I press the PTT, it does nada.  It works fine on all the preprogrammed frequencies.  Also in Channel Mode.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...