Hello everyone and i am a noob in gmrs so i have an off the wall question

adelsta101

I have a biofang UV-82 dual band hand held that I can program for the UHF and VHF repeaters. the question is, can I program it to any open repeater if I want to stay in touch with family in the DFW area In Texas without getting in trouble. because there is not that many GMRS repeaters in my area that I can use. any info would help and would say thank you ahead of time

I would say in Gmrs you would need permission unless they are listed as open plus you would need the pl Ect from the owner . If they truly list it as one as I have you would see it in the directory listing access and the pl / dpl code. Now my thoughts in life. ESP dealing with using someone else property. Or even hunting. Is ask first even if listed open. Now also vhf repeaters. Well you can't have one on murs. And the 14x.xxx you need a ham licence.

that's why I wanted to ask and thank you for responding, I will be asking for sure if open or private so at least neither side would get into any trouble and keeps things legal, I prefer using UHF in general, but I do have have a few vhf programmed in and listen to the ham operators and that's interesting in general in all its own but anyway I am going to get my ham license soon just been studying before I take all of the required test