CHIRP: Useful CSVs

WRQV528

After recently programming a ham radio with a few sets of frequencies for listening, as it came with none pre-programmed, I decided to export the sets I made and post them here to save others the duplicate effort. Just download these files, then from CHIRP go to "File > Import".

A few things to keep in mind:

1. These files use Windows/CRLF line endings (hopefully this never makes a difference).
  2. I don't condone transmitting on these frequencies on with a ham radio (especially on the weather radio frequencies as they are for public safety), but am providing relevant notes should you dare do so.
    1. On this note, CHIRP does not export or import the "Power" column, so be sure to set power levels manually as noted (should you dare use a UV-5R on, e.g., GMRS).
  3. In a similar vein to 2.1., the "Comment" section you will see when importing describes settings you may have to set manually.

I hope you find these helpful!

I have only been able to test these files with several Baofeng models: UV-5G, UV-9G, UV-5R+, and UV-5RTP. Regardless of make and model, please let me know if you run into any issues.

GMRS Channels

gmrsChans_20220706TZ.csv

Taken from a Baofeng UV-9G's defaults with tweaked names.

NOTES:

1. Channels 1–7 should be set to no more than 5W.
  2. Channels 8–14 to should be set to no more than 0.5W.

Business Channels (UHF, Motorola CLS Series Enumeration)

motoCLSBizChans_20220707TZ.csv

Taken from the manual for the Motorola CLS1110 and CLS1410. This channel numbering scheme of 56 frequencies is used by several business radios, such as the aforementioned Motorola models, Advantage AWR series, and to my vague knowledge, some Kenwood and Midland business radios.

NOTES:

1. All channels should be set to no more than 1W.

Business Channels (UHF, Motorola CLP Series Enumeration)

motoCLPBizChans_20220707TZ.csv

Taken from the manual for the Motorola CLP series. This channel numbering scheme of 90 frequencies is a superset of that used by the Motorola CLS series.

NOTES:

1. All channels should be set to no more than 1W.

Weather Radio Frequencies (in order of allocation)

wxAllocs_20220707TZ.csv

Weather radio frequencies, with the first 7 numbered in the order in which they were allocated over the decades ("WX" order). This differs from, and includes more frequencies than, the numbering scheme used by most weather alert radios made since the early '00s; these tend to use the main 7 channels in ascending frequencies, available below.

NOTES:

1. Never transmit on these frequencies. These are for public safety (especially during severe weather events and other natural or man-made hazards).
  2. If you cannot disable transmitting on these frequencies on your radio(s), set power to the lowest setting possible to mitigate an accidental transmit should it occur.
  3. I have disabled scanning on these channels because weather radio stations operate 24/7/365.

Weather Radio Channels (the main 7 in order of ascending frequencies)

wxChans_20220706TZ.csv

The 7 main weather radio frequencies, numbered in the order of ascending frequency ("Channel" order). I believe this channel order is mandated for weather radios wishing to be Public Alert™ certified. This differs from the numbering scheme used by many weather alert radios made before the early '00s, many handheld radios, and many handheld transceivers; these tend to use the "WX order", available above. 162.000MHz, 163.275MHz, and the 161MHz frequencies are omitted because they are not official weather radio channels in the United States (nor part of the Public Alert™ standard to my knowledge).

NOTES:

1. Never transmit on these frequencies. These are for public safety (especially during severe weather events and other natural or man-made hazards).
  2. If you cannot disable transmitting on these frequencies on your radio(s), set power to the lowest setting possible to mitigate an accidental transmit should it occur.
  3. I have disabled scanning on these channels because weather radio stations operate 24/7/365.

Midland's "Extra" FRS Channels

midlandExtraChans_20220706TZ.csv

Based off-of a table on RadioReference's wiki. Channels 23-36 tested against a Midland T77A and confirmed working; channels 37-50 do not exist on this model so those are untested.

MURS Channels

mursChans_20220715TZ.csv

Based off-of the text for Part 95J.

NOTES:

1. Make sure your radio's bandwidth does not exceed MURS' odd (with respect to GMRS) maximum bandwidths. For a Baofeng UV-5R, this means you can only transmit on MURS channels 4 and 5, and you must do this on narrowband mode.
  2. All channels should be set to no more than 2W.
  3. Keep in mind FM is not the only transmission mode allowed on MURS.
  4. (MURS is weird.)

Changelog (dates and times in UTC):

2022-07-06:

1. Added Midland's "Extra" FRS channels (only channels 23-36 have been tested and confirmed working as the only radio I could test against was a T77A).
  2. Added MURS channels.
  3. Populated the comment field in all rows of all files. These contain information on bandwidth and max TXP (transmit power), and other relevant information (bascially each row's respective "NOTES" bit).

2022-07-07:

1. Introduced a set of business frequencies used by the Motorola CLP series, which is a superset of those found on the CLS series.
  2. Renamed the original business channel set from "bizChans" to "motoCLSBizChans".
  3. Removed redundant set of asterisks from "wxAllocs" for WX01.

2022-07-15:

1. MURS channels 4 and 5 shared the same Location column value in the CSV, causing channel 4 to be ignored. Fixed.
Edited by WRQV528

• WRQV528 changed the title to CHIRP: Useful CSVs
2 hours ago, WRQV528 said:

GMRS Channels

gmrsChans_20220613.csv 2.03 kB · 2 downloads

Taken from a Baofeng UV-9G's defaults with tweaked names.

NOTES:

1. Channels 1–7 should be set to no more than 5W.
  2. Channels 8–14 to should be set to no more than 0.5W.

Why do you include CTCSS' of 88.5 for each channel?

Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 3.45.17 PM.png

1 minute ago, WRQC290 said:

For me, Chirp populates the default value for each field. If tone is not set, the default values are not sent to the radio. So, all those 88.5s mean nothing.

I was thinking the same...default value, like 023 in DCS...gets ignored unless tone mode is set to tone, tone sql, or one of the dcs settings.

Hmm... it seems when I blank those fields (rToneFreq, cToneFreq, DtcsCode, DtcsPolarity), I get a "No channels found" error message when I try to import any of them. I've attached those files to this message.

So far I've only been able to test my CSVs with Baofengs (UV-5G, UV-9G, UV-5R+, and UV-5RTP); the attached files do not import at all while the original ones (*_20220613.csv) import without an error message, and do not introduce any tone configuration as the file might lead one to believe.

Let me know if any of you run into any issues when using either set, especially on a non-Baofeng.

(EDIT: KEEPING FOR POSTERITY. DO NOT USE THE FILES BELOW.)

wxChans_202206132314Z.csv wxAllocs_202206132314Z.csv gmrsChans_202206132314Z.csv bizChans_202206132314Z.csv

Edited by WRQV528

@WRQV528 Don't fret over it. If the first files work on specified radios (looks correctly exported to me), it is sufficient that folks are now warned that they may need to modify files depending on what equipment or miscellaneous settings they are using. There are enough CHIRP guides and tutorials on the interwebs.

29 minutes ago, WRQC290 said:

@WRQV528 Don't fret over it. If the first files work on specified radios (looks correctly exported to me), it is sufficient that folks are now warned that they may need to modify files depending on what equipment or miscellaneous settings they are using. There are enough CHIRP guides and tutorials on the interwebs.

Agreed...something to be aware of, but if the first set imports correctly, all is good....they're convenient starting points, not full grab-and-go configurations.

Didn't mean to add any confusion.

I have added a set of 90 UHF business frequencies as enumerated by the Motorola CLP series of radios. The original set has been renamed to distinguish the two. I would have combined them into one file, but at 90 entries you'd be taking up the majority of a Baofeng's channel slots.