Vehicle cup holder mount

Newb

Question

On 7/13/2022 at 2:43 PM, Newb said:

Need an inexpensive cup holder mount for your small GMRS mobile?  Try a 3" plumbers test plug.  I got mine at Menards.

IMG_20220713_162955402.thumb.jpg.65d720dce73ebe2e74a88472956461d1.jpg

While this is sure cheaper than the one offered on Amazon, I am finding that, given the high center of gravity, it flies out of the cup on sharp turns!  

Does anyone have a good fix to make this fit more tightly in my vehicle's cup?  The Amazon version has a winding width expander to solve that problem.

56 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

While this is sure cheaper than the one offered on Amazon, I am finding that, given the high center of gravity, it flies out of the cup on sharp turns!  

Does anyone have a good fix to make this fit more tightly in my vehicle's cup?  The Amazon version has a winding width expander to solve that problem.

Wrap the fuzzy half of a velcro strip around the base to make it a tighter grip or invest in a better product like a RAM mount.20230420_124249.thumb.jpg.e4d5ce845f3245de90add8e76fe92a18.jpg

I tried the commercial mounts but there is too much vibration on rough roads and off road. I have what looks like a similar GM vehicle and I don't have any problems.  I started using heavier radios and had to raise the mount so the console lid would clear. Haven't had any fallout problems. I wanted to use my mobile radios at my base. I'm using 3"/4" stool flanges to make them stable.  As you can see, I raised my KW8150 about 6 " and it is stable in the console. The 8150 is a tank so the mounts he is suggesting wouldn't work for me. They would be broken in a week on the road.

mount base.jpg

mount base2.jpg

mount base3.jpg

I got time to check the expansion on my 3" plug. It expands to 3.25" . With a little work it may go to 3.375"  that's a big cup holder!  I can tell you, if I tighten it in the cup holder, it would likely pull the top off the console removing it.

The Lidoradio looks nice but I use full size commercial radios that weigh 3.5 to 4 lbs. It would be fine if I used a remote kit for the radio.  I can't justify almost $300 for the remote cable kit.

15 hours ago, WSAW960 said:

Thats what I like about this hobby, making your own accessories, antennas, and southern engineering ! Great idea about the cup holder radio mount !

I completely agree that the DIY aspect is fun.  Just think what you could do in ham radio where your experiments are not limited to accessories and antennas.  In ham radio you can make your own radios, linear amplifiers, etc.

I just picked up an old Amateur Radio Handbook.  This was the 20th edition (the hundredth is the current printing).  It was printed during wartime, in 1943, and it has plans for “wartime radios.” It’s a fascinating look into the past.  Of course transistors hadn’t been invented yet.