New to GMRS, repeater question.

WRTT561

Question

First post to the forums. Recently got into GMRS mainly as another form of communication when offroading and camping.

My question is, if I have two repeater capable radios (RB27, MXT275) on a repeater channel with the same codes set,

will they communicate with each other if we aren't in range of a repeater but eventually get close enough to each other for simplex operation?

Of course at that point we would switch to a non repeater channel.

Be gentle on the new guy please and thanks.

4 answers to this question

Welcome!

Short answer to your question: NO

Slightly longer answer: If out of range of the repeater your radios would not be able to talk to each other while on that repeater channel - UNLESS both radios have a "talk around" option and both of you enable Talk-Around (IIRC, neither the RB27 or MXT275 have talk around).  The other option would be to change both radios to a regular/simplex channel while out of range of the repeater.

EDIT: NO fair you answered your question while I was typing my response!

4 hours ago, WRTT561 said:

First post to the forums. Recently got into GMRS mainly as another form of communication when offroading and camping.

My question is, if I have two repeater capable radios (RB27, MXT275) on a repeater channel with the same codes set,

will they communicate with each other if we aren't in range of a repeater but eventually get close enough to each other for simplex operation?

Of course at that point we would switch to a non repeater channel.

Be gentle on the new guy please and thanks.

Yes you can communicate with each other since, of course, you both would have switched to a non-repeater channel, which by definition is simplex.

This assumes that both radios do not use a "tone" on their receive side.

I appreciate the input, really liking these GMRS radios. No repeaters in range where I live but might be able to hit one near where I work. Simplex range has surprised me considering the terrain around here. Better than I imagined it would be, especially with out of the box antennas. Downloaded CHIRP on my Linux machine and getting things sorted on my RB27 including adding some VHF high band RX frequencies for scanner use. Already learned so much just stalking these forums. Good stuff. 

Thanks again.