All band commercial/amateurHTs.

kidphc

The Alinco DJ-MD5 is a radio I mentioned earlier as well. It only requires a configuration change for opening up. It’s very similar to the Anytone handheld internally (contract manufactured?). Once you learn how to setup the codeplugs it is very easy to use in my opinion, but it had a learning curve up front. I haven’t opened it up but maybe I will and set up a zone just for GMRS. 

29 minutes ago, kidphc said:

Just to need to find out it if has near repeater functionality.

I had to look it up, so you can probably guess the answer.  Sounds like an Icom thing, yes?

Nothing like that, but one nice thing about the DJ-MD5 (and other DMR radios) is the use of "zones" that you put all your channels in.  So you could have a "home" zone and a "beach" zone and easily switch between them.

Just now, wrci350 said:

I had to look it up, so you can probably guess the answer.  Sounds like an Icom thing, yes?

Nothing like that, but one nice thing about the DJ-MD5 (and other DMR radios) is the use of "zones" that you put all your channels in.  So you could have a "home" zone and a "beach" zone and easily switch between them.

I’ll bite; what is “near repeater”?

I’ll bite; what is “near repeater”?
Icom, kenwood thd74a, anytone 878uvii plus (current winner for me) have a near repeater function.

Not all repeaters are in the database.

Using the onboard gps it will try to locate a repeater that is near by.

Some of the manfacturers have also implemented a feature it will then try to connect to it, if you want to.

It's a feature that I wish it was in all higher end mobiles and hts.

Currently, got to walk around with a repeater list, or have it preprogrammed.

Me I have repeaterbook link on the homepage of my phone.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Is that the GPS Roaming that Anytone has?  The Alinco has regular roaming which is the same as roaming in the Anytone, but a few Anytone models have GPS Roaming where a repeater in memory that’s within a radius of a gps point will be selected automatically. 
The repeater must be programmed in though. Of course a single download from Repeaterbook can accomplish that. 
I will check my Alinco, but I don’t recall seeing GPS Roaming. 

Is that the GPS Roaming that Anytone has?  The Alinco has regular roaming which is the same as roaming in the Anytone, but a few Anytone models have GPS Roaming where a repeater in memory that’s within a radius of a gps point will be selected automatically. 
The repeater must be programmed in though. Of course a single download from Repeaterbook can accomplish that. 
I will check my Alinco, but I don’t recall seeing GPS Roaming. 
I believe so.

Didn't see it in reviews or features.

51 minutes ago, kidphc said:

.Me I have repeaterbook link on the homepage of my phone.

I went for the Repeaterbook app...the proximity search based on your location is kinda nice, but I don't have anything it can push the presets to over Bluetooth (I think there's just a couple models that can).

I've also programmed common stuff in the common areas/routes i travel. I do have the luxury of time, though, since I don't travel all that much. With the LMR radios, I have banks of out of town stuff by region (sf bay, slo coast, coast p25, etc)

I went for the Repeaterbook app...the proximity search based on your location is kinda nice, but I don't have anything it can push the presets to over Bluetooth (I think there's just a couple models that can).
I've also programmed common stuff in the common areas/routes i travel. I do have the luxury of time, though, since I don't travel all that much. With the LMR radios, I have banks of out of town stuff by region (sf bay, slo coast, coast p25, etc)
Think it only works with bluecat. Which is for like 2 yaesu units

8 hours ago, kidphc said:

Hmm.... interesting. Just to need to find out it if has near repeater functionality. I REALLY would like that in my next radio. Sigh a Kenwood THD74a would of worked, but it would be nearly the cost of some commercial radios used. Hence the start of the thread, for an all around radio that could do it all, but not perfect, just close. 

That's mostly a feature of the newer (relatively speaking) D-STAR radios, which was then expanded to permit analog repeaters into the /separate/ D-STAR repeater list. A list which may be quite limited -- as with the Icom ID-5100 mobile. After loading Australia, Canada, UK, USA Midwest/Northeast/Southeast/West it has just 403 slots free. In contrast the new ID-52A has 743 free slots, and that's with Africa, Asia, Europe Eastern/Northern/Southern/Western, Germany, Italy, Japan, Latin America, Oceania, and Sweden added to the previously mentioned groups. 183 free on the TH-D74, but I don't recall if I removed some regions (Judging by the gaps in country #s, I deleted a LOT of countries before loading the radio with D-STAR repeaters).

From what I can tell, the D74 repeater list is ONLY D-STAR repeaters (there's no mode option). The ID-52 allow for DV simplex, DV repeater, FM simplex, and FM repeater choices in that list, with CTCCS tone option for FM entries (Yes, the repeater list in these radios is SEPARATE from the regular memory channel list).

DMR radios support a "roaming" mode for digital, but it tends to rely upon the radio "pinging" the repeaters in the roaming list to find one that returns with a proper synch signal. Something not available in FM mode.

8 hours ago, kidphc said:

For most part i will try and carry a dedicated radio for that service. But would be nice say at the beach to work the ham radio and still listen to the little ones on their gmrs radios.

All but entry level Amateur gear should RECEIVE most of the VHF/UHF spectrum without a "MARS/CAP" modification. If you need to talk with those "little ones" (who are probably NOT on GMRS, but rather FRS) it might be cheaper just to buy a set of bubble-pack radios and consider them disposables if they get splashed at the beach. You'd at least match the NFM deviation of FRS.

Just as an aside: to me "all-band" implies HF/6m/2m/7cm (maybe 1.2G; not much stuff included 1.25m -- Kenwood being the main exception as I have the D74 and F6 which both include it at "full power" [for an HT]; Yaesu VX8DR had 6m/2m/70cm at full power, and 1.25m at, if lucky, 1W).

All but entry level Amateur gear should RECEIVE most of the VHF/UHF spectrum without a "MARS/CAP" modification. If you need to talk with those "little ones" (who are probably NOT on GMRS, but rather FRS) it might be cheaper just to buy a set of bubble-pack radios and consider them disposables if they get splashed at the beach. You'd at least match the NFM deviation of FRS.

Just as an aside: to me "all-band" implies HF/6m/2m/7cm (maybe 1.2G; not much stuff included 1.25m -- Kenwood being the main exception as I have the D74 and F6 which both include it at "full power" [for an HT]; Yaesu VX8DR had 6m/2m/70cm at full power, and 1.25m at, if lucky, 1W).
Yes, you are correct almost all ht will recieve gmrs without mods. I perfer the mod for when I wish to transmit, all legality a side that is speaking.

I do have multiple frs and gmrs radios to use. Often will carry one of the gmrs radios to use with the family. There times where I will only carry one radio. Like on some particular hikes up mountains.

Sorry, I was using all band in the like in the lmr modes. Parts of 2m, 70cm (more like 65cm) and 800-900 band.

1 hour ago, KAF6045 said:

DMR radios support a "roaming" mode for digital, but it tends to rely upon the radio "pinging" the repeaters in the roaming list to find one that returns with a proper synch signal. Something not available in FM mode.

Well at least normal FM. There are some trunking systems, with distributed repeaters, where the radios will look for a repeater that has the strongest signal, or above a threshold level, and use it. The radios are programmed with the minimum signal levels which the repeater has to meet or exceed to connect.

Well at least normal FM. There are some trunking systems, with distributed repeaters, where the radios will look for a repeater that has the strongest signal, or above a threshold level, and use it. The radios are programmed with the minimum signal levels which the repeater has to meet or exceed to connect.
New clarification. As always appreciated. It's like the manafacturers expect you to have worked the commercial trade and their particular model lines

5 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

Snip

Snip

Actually GPS Roaming as implemented by Anytone switches to either DMR or analog repeaters based on location, rather than DMR handshake:

Actually GPS Roaming as implemented by Anytone switches to either DMR or analog repeaters based on location, rather than DMR handshake:

Again awesome.

There aren't great reviewer. Most are crap let me open the box type reviews, that do range review (really why?). The lack of technical review for a lot of radios make me cry, I can read specs and the manuals for the most part. I try to avoid RTFM (READ THE F@*KING MANUAL) and ID10T (idiot, you sound it out as id ten t) type of moments.

I think I will be buying the 878uvii plus over the alinco md5 series (this is cheaper, with many similar features. I originally wanted to invest in higher quality gear and was willing to pay for it. Turns out I am slowly turning into an Anytone whore, with an at6666, 20g and likely 878.

This article has swayed me to not bother with 220 (open transmit) and towards the 878.

http://members.optuszoo.com.au/jason.reilly1/868mods.htm#SelectingBands

2 minutes ago, kidphc said:

Again awesome.

There aren't great reviewer. Most are crap let me open the box. The lack of technical review for alot of radios make me cry.

I think I will be buying the 878uvii plus over the alinco md5 series (this is cheaper, with many similar features. I originally wanted to invest in higher quality gear and was willing to pay for it. Turns out I am slowly turning into an Anytonewhere, with an at6666, 20g and likely 878.

This article has swayed me to not bother with 220 (open transmit) and towards the 878.

http://members.optuszoo.com.au/jason.reilly1/868mods.htm#SelectingBands

I have and like the Alinco.  I have never owned the Anytone, but I believe Anytone made the MD5 for Alinco and that it’s similar to a slightly earlier model/version of the 878.  Many of the guys in my radio club have the Anytone and like it.  They are so similar that I would have almost zero time spinning up to use an Anytone. Both are commercial radios.  

The Alinco is more compact.

The Anytone has much more memory (500,000 contacts versus 300,000) but I loaded all the DMR users in North America in mine and have lots of room still so unless you plan to load the entire world you may not notice it. There are a lot more tutorial videos available for the Anytone, especially if you buy it through Bridgecomm.  I cannot point to anything about either brand that makes me think one is higher quality than the other.

The Alinco accepts antennas made using the reverse SMA connector that the Baofeng uses, female threads and male center pin on the radio body.  I don’t know for sure that the Anytone does, but I’d be surprised if it doesn’t.  I have the following Amateur handheld radios: Baofeng UV5R, Baofeng GT5R, Alinco DJ-MD5GTP, Yaesu FT65R, and Yaesu FT5DR.  All except the FT5DR use the Baofeng pattern SMA connector. 

I’ve been complimented on the quality of my signal when using the Baofeng GT5R and a faux Nagoya 771 made and sold as the Tidradrio 771. They told me that I was getting full quieting on our 2 meter receiver.  The repeater site is on a mountain 16 miles away and is the site of a UHF DMR repeater also. When I screwed that same antenna onto the Alinco and monitored the signal strength reported for my DMR transmissions, the signal goes from S5 to S7 and sometimes even S8 while sitting in the same chair at my kitchen table on the other side of the house.

So, I like the Alinco.  I would like the Anytone just as well or even better because of its features. My favorite dual band analog radio is the Yaesu FT-65, in spite of the FPP interface. I like the size, sound, and price.  I feel like it’s an excellent analog handheld.

As long as I’m doing a very subjective data dump, I prefer the way DMR is structured over C4FM, at least so far.  C4FM is easier to program from the front panel, but the underlying infrastructure is more complex. When it comes to digital modes, it’s probably not very realistic to expect to program many digital channels via the front panel. I can and have done it on both the Alinco MD5 and the Yaesu FT5DR, just to make sure I could.

I have and like the Alinco.  I have never owned the Anytone, but I believe Anytone made the MD5 for Alinco and that it’s similar to a slightly earlier model/version of the 878.  Many of the guys in my radio club have the Anytone and like it.  They are so similar that I would have almost zero time spinning up to use an Anytone. Both are commercial radios.  
The Alinco is more compact.
The Anytone has much more memory (500,000 contacts versus 300,000) but I loaded all the DMR users in North America in mine and have lots of room still so unless you plan to load the entire world you may not notice it. There are a lot more tutorial videos available for the Anytone, especially if you buy it through Bridgecomm.  I cannot point to anything about either brand that makes me think one is higher quality than the other.
The Alinco accepts antennas made using the reverse SMA connector that the Baofeng uses, female threads and male center pin on the radio body.  I don’t know for sure that the Anytone does, but I’d be surprised if it doesn’t.  I have the following Amateur handheld radios: Baofeng UV5R, Baofeng GT5R, Alinco DJ-MD5GTP, Yaesu FT65R, and Yaesu FT5DR.  All except the FT5DR use the Baofeng pattern SMA connector. 
I’ve been complimented on the quality of my signal when using the Baofeng GT5R and a faux Nagoya 771 made and sold as the Tidradrio 771. They told me that I was getting full quieting on our 2 meter receiver.  The repeater site is on a mountain 16 miles away and is the site of a UHF DMR repeater also. When I screwed that same antenna onto the Alinco and monitored the signal strength reported for my DMR transmissions, the signal goes from S5 to S7 and sometimes even S8 while sitting in the same chair at my kitchen table on the other side of the house.
So, I like the Alinco.  I would like the Anytone just as well or even better because of its features. My favorite dual band analog radio is the Yaesu FT-65, in spite of the FPP interface. I like the size, sound, and price.  I feel like it’s an excellent analog handheld.
As long as I’m doing a very subjective data dump, I prefer the way DMR is structured over C4FM, at least so far.  C4FM is easier to program from the front panel, but the underlying infrastructure is more complex. When it comes to digital modes, it’s probably not very realistic to expect to program many digital channels via the front panel. I can and have done it on both the Alinco MD5 and the Yaesu FT5DR, just to make sure I could.
Awesome.

I did find out that Anytone and a lot of the other radios are essentially cousins (some have pretty big changes).

34 minutes ago, kidphc said:

I did find out that Anytone and a lot of the other radios are essentially cousins (some have pretty big changes).

Yes if you look around you'll find several other radios that look like an 878 and are more than likely made in the same factory.

The DJ-MD5 has a different form-factor but on the inside I'm pretty sure it's the same radio as an 878, or very close.

40 minutes ago, wrci350 said:

Yes if you look around you'll find several other radios that look like an 878 and are more than likely made in the same factory.

BTech DMR6x2, for example (which I've been tempted by, mostly  for the APRS). Itll even use code plugs for the anytone 868.

I'm noticing the description only refers to transmitting APRS data, though, and not receiving.

BTech DMR6x2, for example (which I've been tempted by, mostly  for the APRS). Itll even use code plugs for the anytone 868.
I'm noticing the description only refers to transmitting APRS data, though, and not receiving.
Older 878 models where aprs recieve only analog/digital.

Believe 878 ii and sister models is where the aprs transmit was added, some you need to update the firmware.

878ii plus has aprs rx/tx analog/digital with sms capabilities.

The article I posted about 2 post upwards outline the differences and how you can upgrade whether it is a hardware change or software and hardware.

19 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

I’ll look to see if my Alinco receives APRS.  It definitely transmits APRS.

40 minutes ago, kidphc said:

Older 878 models where aprs recieve only analog/digital.

Believe 878 ii and sister models is where the aprs transmit was added, some you need to update the firmware.

878ii plus has aprs rx/tx analog/digital with sms capabilities.

The article I posted about 2 post upwards outline the differences and how you can upgrade whether it is a hardware change or software and hardware.

Yeah, given that it takes the 868 code plugs rather than 878, I wonder which the btech really split off from. I'll give that article a look when I make it onto the computer.