Line of Sight

Cpch64

I appreciate your input.

I know my base is working since we have tested it using a handheld here in town.  Medium town suburb setting and I'm getting about 3 miles but I have been unable to connect with a repeater i can hear clearly (48 Miles away).  It also could be that I have the tone setting set wrong.

I striving for FIRST CONTACT!! :}

Thanks Again,

I would say no.  There may be some lopsided power and performance stopping it, even if the transmitter wattage is the same.

For instance... if the repeater has a full 50w going into the antenna (say a tower mounted repeater) and it has an antenna with a 10dB gain, it will have an effective radiated output of 500w.  If your mobile is only putting out 30w-35w due to installation limits and you have a no-gain antenna, like a 1/4 wave, your only putting out 30w-35w.  Even with the high gain antenna at the repeater site... there is no guarantee you are going to get picked-up by the repeater.  Especially if the repeater has a poor receiver or is being de-sensed by some other radio on the tower causing interference around it.

If you can drive closer to the tower to confirm, that would be your best bet.  If you get within 10-15 nautical miles and it still doesn't work, you may be doing something wrong or have a problem.

Also, the OP is receiving the repeater on one frequency and should be transmitting on another.  The repeater antenna is almost certainly tuned to the repeater transmit frequency, but we don’t really know about the OP’s antenna or transmission frequency.

Is the OP transmitting on the correct repeater receive frequency (467.xxx?)  I think we all assume he is, but maybe not.

Is the OP’s antenna tuned for the simplex transmitting frequencies (462.xxx) or the repeater receive frequency (467.xxx?)  Although the difference is only 5 MHz, it is a difference which can reduce transmission power if SWR varies much over that 5 MHz.

The OP already admitted that the tones haven’t been confirmed. That absolutely could be a problem.

14 hours ago, gortex2 said:

I would get closer with a radio and test locally to the repeater before you can determine if its your setup. 

I have to agree: I go repeater hunting with one of my HTs and jot down the applicable channel and access tone when I can successfully hit it. 

Then you can attempt to duplicate it at home and tweek your antenna, if applicable. 

What  is your zip and which repeater are you attempting to hit with your 50x1?

Sorry for late response but the answer to you question is as follows:

Repeater=Roadkill !! 600 - CCC

My Zip=70360

I also just got my new Wouxun KG 1000 up and running.

Update:  Finally made connection with 2 different repeaters! One of them 35 Miles out and the other 47 Miles out.  I appreciate the help.

Edited by Cpch64
Update