Antenna Mast question

WRUN257

Question

I have an old Birdview satellite pole from the 1980's in my yard and was wondering if this could be used to connect mast to or what could I use this for to get a good antenna up. Planning on getting a GMRS mobile and using as a base station and later getting my ham license. Could this be used for anything such as that. Thank you in advance for your help.

I purchased a 20' piece of EMT from Menards.  I drove a smaller piece EMT into the ground to secure the base. lastly, I attached it to the house.  I have an Ed Fong UHF/VHF, an old Antron A99 and a MFJ 2012 hung from the mast.  I am getting ready to add an Ed Fong GMRS antenna to the mast on Thursday.  I can add pics if anyone is interested.

p.s.  I transported it on my short bed F150 with racks on the roof and a piece of 2x4 with a hole in it, the same height as the racks.  I then used ratchet straps on the roof racks and, at the back, I went from one side, around the pipe, then to the other side of the bed.  This worked pretty good.  I only had about 7 miles though.  I hope this helps someone. 

1 hour ago, Borage257 said:

https://vibroplex.com/contents/en-us/p3529.html

The fiberglass Spiderpole linked above is what I got, and I like it, but the last segment is flexible enough that I would only use it for supporting a wire antenna.  They make larger poles (I also bought the 41 foot one) which could be used to support a yagi as long as it was small and only if you clamped it to the third from top segment, which brings it down to about 30 feet.  They’re both great for temporary use, field exercises using wire antennas, but if you want something permanent, spend the money and get something that’s built for the purpose.

Solid Signal seems to have the best price (not including shipping ) on some of the telescoping permanent Rohn masts.  These are steel masts that start at two inches diameter at the base and end at one and a quarter at the top (for the 30 foot mast).  They’re built to be either bracketed or guyed and if you go very high at all you’ll need guys.

ROHN_TELESCOPING_MASTS.PDF

2 hours ago, Sshannon said:

The fiberglass Spiderpole linked above is what I got,

I got the MFJ version.  It's pretty handy if your looking for a quick deployment of a wire vertical. 

2 hours ago, Borage257 said:

Would the Homedepot option work for a camping/emcomm set up? 

No, the issue is the aluminum.  Conductive materials and PVC impact the performance characteristics of small and wire antennas.  For example, a wire antenna would short-circuit against the pole and the metal under a small, top mounted antenna could change the shape of the far field lobes, greatly reducing range, changing the resonant frequency and driving up the SWR.

51 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

I got the MFJ version.  It's pretty handy if your looking for a quick deployment of a wire vertical. 

No, the issue is the aluminum.  Conductive materials and PVC impact the performance characteristics of small and wire antennas.  For example, a wire antenna would short-circuit against the pole and the metal under a small, top mounted antenna could change the shape of the far field lobes, greatly reducing range, changing the resonant frequency and driving up the SWR.

I would be mounting it some thing like this. A driveway marker serving as primary structure for the antenna while the pole serves to elevate the assembly. There are about 18" between the bottom of the slim Jim and top of the wooden pole. Currently the antenna sits about 20" off the gutter.

HS8rShV.jpg

5 hours ago, Borage257 said:

Since y'all opened the floor for mast questions:

What are your thoughts on 24' extendable painters poles for mobile/temporary/emcomm masts?

Do I need to guy or brace any extensions (factory produced) for J-mounts?

The goal height for my antenna is ~30ft ( house ridge is 25 ft).

Antennas in the running are N9tax slim Jim, Ed Fong J-pole, and Tram Browning 6140. Cable will most likely be LMR600 and it will be grounded.

The operative word is temporary as these types of poles will collapse or fold with any decent load caused by wind blowing against your antenna. If the antenna is going to be on your house, look at either roof mounted tripods or gable mounts as used on satellite dishes. These are more permanent mounts for antennas that are better than the J-Poles.