Gettin the hang of it and BS???

WRTJ860

Hey all. just was blessed with a gift of an upgrade to an Wouxun KG935G, which has made the process a lot simpler. Just want to say thanks to all those who have granted me the use of their repeaters. I do have a question, i know of people (Groups) on the Ham side of things that get together every night and just BS and i was curious if there was anything like that here on the GMRS side of things?

27 minutes ago, WRTJ860 said:

Hey all. just was blessed with a gift of an upgrade to an Wouxun KG935G, which has made the process a lot simpler. Just want to say thanks to all those who have granted me the use of their repeaters. I do have a question, i know of people (Groups) on the Ham side of things that get together every night and just BS and i was curious if there was anything like that here on the GMRS side of things?

I my location there is a general "Net" meeting once a month on the GMRS repeater. It's run similar to what you hear on Ham repeaters simply because the format works. Lately there is a "Prepper's Net" on Tuesday nights each week. I think the current roster has about 177 registered users for the repeater. The repeater is owned by the City of Troy and was their backup machine for the fire department in the beginning.

I have heard what you're asking, happening during my travels with the MXT in scanner mode.  I very seldom hear any more than shops and road workers in my locale though.

While traveling through PA I chanced upon a conversation and got invited in while I was traversing a high mountain.  Quite a conversation from linked repeaters!  Made my day.

9 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

I was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago and listened in to a GMRS net for a bit, and it was the most boring thing ever.  First, there was 15 minutes of "check ins" followed by a few more minutes of "did I miss anybody?"  Never again lol

That’s what a net is until it’s needed.  Depending on the net controller it might have a little more personality, but it’s really just an exercise of the systems.

Local repeater because of myself and Rolund (a local super user, why he's a regular on about 7-8 repeaters) pretty much have to have a Round Robin system ,since now a days our little conversations have attracted more than a handful of users.  Jokingly, said we should just assign a net controller or at least some system so we do not double as much.

FYI. Rolund has been on the Harrisburg repeaters and is a regular on the Mount Holly, Ellicott, and Towson nets.

It really depends on the repeaters and the personalities that use it. Some won't even respond unless you know them or are asking for a radio check. You get the same thing with ham repeaters.

Just keep calling out on the repeater and have conversations. You'll probably end up with some people with like minded thoughts. That is how it starts, then it goes into in person meets, and spending holidays with them...lol

Also look at the GMRS zello groups, there is someone usually looking for somebody to talk to.