Repeater on handheld channel 15

Guest James

18 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

I think our confusion in answering your question is because we do not know what transmitting you intend to do with this radio.

Intend is to transmit only on GMRS. But I want also to listen to few HAM repeaters (with frequencies of 442.xxxx and 444.xxxx), and my local weather station (WX1 - 162.55000).

I have two dual band HTs - BTECH GMRS-V1 and Wouxun KG-UV9G, that are certified for GMRS and I can do all this with those.

31 minutes ago, MozartMan said:

Intend is to transmit only on GMRS. But I want also to listen to few HAM repeaters (with frequencies of 442.xxxx and 444.xxxx), and my local weather station (WX1 - 162.55000).

I have two dual band HTs - BTECH GMRS-V1 and Wouxun KG-UV9G, that are certified for GMRS and I can do all this with those.

Then leave it as a Part 95(e) GMRS radio and program those Ham repeaters into the other channels and NOAA too!

I think that unopened there is a smaller limit of channels available, but I am not sure.  The next one I buy, I will study it "out of the box" more before I open it up for Ham and more.

5 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

I think that unopened there is a smaller limit of channels available, but I am not sure.  The next one I buy, I will study it "out of the box" more before I open it up for Ham and more.

In GMRS mode, you can only define nine GMRS transmit channels (and I wouldn't be surprised to find they are automatically repeater mode). That gives you 39 functional GMRS channels, and 461 receive only channels. Unlocked grants one Tx/Rx on /any/ of the 500 channels. Only reason I unlocked -- the state has something like 11 repeaters, and the RT97 allows for 16 configurations; that's 27 entries to be squeezed into NINE? ?

The 144-148/420-450 mode will transmit on Amateur 2m and 70cm bands, and only Tx on those bands. Considered legal (if you have a license) -- commerciall available Amateur radios have to be submitted to check for things like spurious emissions, but tend not to require certification (after all -- it is legal to build your own radio from parts)

On 9/25/2022 at 10:01 PM, Guest James said:

BLUF: is it possible to pick up a repeater channel on channel 15 from a bubble pack?

I heard WRUK776 the other night that it was his repeater... he did say it was open for public use. At this time no official license... and surprised he heard me at 7 miles out from a handheld. 

I bought some midland handheld gxt's after that snowmagedon we had here in San Antonio... I have seen several notarubicon YouTubes and he explained it that the repeater channels are separate from the standard channels. Can someone help explain that?

I am very much considering a midland 275 for a mobile unit after I get the license.

Thanks all

James,

Shoot me a email at WRKG475 AT gmail.  I maintain the Alamo City GMRS HUB and can help you get setup for the repeaters once you have your license.