TX CTSS and RX CTSS

davidmajors

Hi, I am trying to setup my Baofeng GM-15 Pro. I came across TX CTCSS and RX CTCSS. The repeater has input tone: 156.7 and and output tone: 192.8

My question is TX CTCSS should be which number.??? and RX CTCSS ???
my repeater has the following info:

Open System

Type

462.725 MHz

Frequency

Input Tone

156.7 Hz

Output Tone

192.8 Hz

Status

52 minutes ago, davidmajors said:

Thanks for you reply. I am trying to understand TX CTCSS means input or output in reference to the repeater info I posted. That’s what I am trying to find out.

It’s relative. TX CTCSS is the tone transmitted (or output) by whichever radio is transmitting.  

One radio’s transmit (output) tone is another radio’s receive (input) tone.  

You must transmit with the correct tone because the repeater filters out all transmissions it receives that don’t have the correct tone  

But you don’t have to filter out transmissions on your receiver  You can leave the RX tone empty and receive all transmissions  

Just now, davidmajors said:

So in my case TX CTCSS is 192.8

based in the repeater information below 

Open System

Type

462.725 MHz

Frequency

Input Tone

156.7 Hz

Output Tone

192.8 Hz

Status

No, your transmit tone must match the input tone for the repeater.  You must transmit using 156.7 Hz as the TX CTCSS. 

OK, things to know about tones.

They are REVERSE of what you might think.  The INPUT tone of a repeater is the OUTPUT tone of the subscriber radio. Meaning your mobile, portable or anything other than the repeater.

So the OUTPUT TONE of the repeater will be programmed as the INPUT TONE of the portable or mobile. 

When guys split the tones like this, it becomes a bit of a pain to figure out which is which. 

5 hours ago, WRKC935 said:

OK, things to know about tones.

They are REVERSE of what you might think.  The INPUT tone of a repeater is the OUTPUT tone of the subscriber radio. Meaning your mobile, portable or anything other than the repeater.

So the OUTPUT TONE of the repeater will be programmed as the INPUT TONE of the portable or mobile. 

When guys split the tones like this, it becomes a bit of a pain to figure out which is which. 

Thanks for trying to help him out.  Hopefully I didn’t drive him away frustrated.