New to GMRS

Shriekmau

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to GMRS. I received my FCC license (want to be compliant) and purchased a Wouxun KG-UVDP1 mobile handheld unit. The range is OK for a handheld and quality seems good. I like the ability to program several channels as well as the manual mode to dial in frequencies.

Unfortunately, I live in a rural area and the nearest repeater is approximately 30 miles away. I am in Florida so the terrain is rather flat, but the foliage is heavy. Obstructions are definitely an issue here and I know there is no way I can link up with that repeater from my home (not in a million years with my handset).

I want to build a repeater station of my own. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on it, but I would like it to work fairly well. I am fairly good with electronics/computers and have a very basic understanding of RF properties. I don't mind buying a part here and a part there, but would like something I can operate inside my house (I understand the antenna will be outside). I would like to utilize the full 50W allowance I have under my license in order to maximize broadcast range. Again, I am in a rural area. I know this will not help me if someone is not capable of transmitting back.

I have been looking at the GR300, GM300 Radius in repeater configuration, and the M120 in repeater configuration. One concern I have is the availability of replacement parts and future proofing. Since these units are no longer sold I am worried about "future proofing". I understand things change, products enter and leave the market, but should something break I would like replacement parts to be available.

Ultimately I am looking to those of you who are more experienced than I. Can you recommend a path to take with this and/or equipment to use. I know there have been recommendations in other topics on this forum, but none of those scenarios matched mine. Hoping to get some good information!

Thanks in advance!

I saw this on Ebay and was wondering if it was any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261213302362&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Has power supply, is programmable via DOS/command line interface, has 40W transmit. Only lacks duplexer, coax/connectors, and antenna to complete the setup.

Any thoughts/opinions of this product?

Those are decent light duty repeater. The programming is done via Motorola RSS...so it's not just a DOS thing. Unless some RSS falls off the coconut tree, you will need a dealer to program it, but if they will, you might get it done fairly cheap if you let them tune up the duplexer too. 

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to GMRS. I received my FCC license (want to be compliant) and purchased a Wouxun KG-UVDP1 mobile handheld unit. The range is OK for a handheld and quality seems good. I like the ability to program several channels as well as the manual mode to dial in frequencies.

Unfortunately, I live in a rural area and the nearest repeater is approximately 30 miles away. I am in Florida so the terrain is rather flat, but the foliage is heavy. Obstructions are definitely an issue here and I know there is no way I can link up with that repeater from my home (not in a million years with my handset).

I want to build a repeater station of my own. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on it, but I would like it to work fairly well. I am fairly good with electronics/computers and have a very basic understanding of RF properties. I don't mind buying a part here and a part there, but would like something I can operate inside my house (I understand the antenna will be outside). I would like to utilize the full 50W allowance I have under my license in order to maximize broadcast range. Again, I am in a rural area. I know this will not help me if someone is not capable of transmitting back.

I have been looking at the GR300, GM300 Radius in repeater configuration, and the M120 in repeater configuration. One concern I have is the availability of replacement parts and future proofing. Since these units are no longer sold I am worried about "future proofing". I understand things change, products enter and leave the market, but should something break I would like replacement parts to be available.

Ultimately I am looking to those of you who are more experienced than I. Can you recommend a path to take with this and/or equipment to use. I know there have been recommendations in other topics on this forum, but none of those scenarios matched mine. Hoping to get some good information!

Thanks in advance!

Hello, If you need help with your Mobile or repeater let me know, I am here to help.  :D

Sorry haven't been active over the last few days, life has been in the way.

btech: A local guy from this site actually has a repeater he took down and is looking to get rid of. I will be checking his out in the next few days, but if it doesn't fit my needs I might need to look into your posting if it isn't already sold.

unit997: Thank you for offering up assistance. I will definitely be tapping into the wealth of knowledge available in this forum! I just purchased a larger antenna for my mobile (15 inch). Getting a lot better reception but haven't really been able to test out my transmit. My output on the kg-uvd1p is 5W VHF and 4W UHF. I would imagine I should be able to get at least a mile out of it under the right conditions.

As for the repeater I will be looking at locally: It appears to be a 10W, but I should be able to cover the local area pretty good with the right cable and antenna. I would like to get my antenna up in the air a good bit (70-100 ft), but I am not sure how to safely do that in a residential environment. I do not know the brand yet as I just spoke with him today, and I do not know if the antenna will come with it or if I will need to get my own.

I also don't know if I should go the duplexer route or run dual antennas. If I can tie a mic into the system, would I also be able to use the repeater as a base station to communicate from?  :huh:

This is a good seller. I got my Motorola twin sm50 repeater from him and he is awesome post purchase support. I do not know the one you linked, I thought it was a simplex at first. do the research and take your time. Be very careful buying from E-bay sellers,. I got Uniden from another seller, he purchased it from yet another e-bayer and all the time it needed the duplexer re-tuned to the radio freq. no telling how many people it passed thru b4 it got to me. none the less, after the duplexer was re tuned it preforms perfectly at 25watt's. but the seller was clueless and advertised it, the way he got it. "Ready for Deployment" It was far from it as it came apart in shipping since it was missing most of the screws and bolts needed to keep the radios from moving around. I can recommend the twin sm50's set, from this guy. there is no delay, but that can be added after you get it up and running. he also packs the radios so they will not come apart or be damaged in shipping. he answered all my questions hourly over the weekend.

yes, if you have several thousands of dollars worth of equipment. some talk of a hand method, but I doubt you would have much luck with that. besides the one you are looking at has no duplexer to begin with. Go with separate antennas until you have a duplexer ready. spend more money on your antenna and feed lines and you will be happy. all the watt's and sensitivity won't do much good with poor feed line.

Understood, thanks to you both.

I have access to several spectrum analyzers, don't know the brands off hand, and a digital frequency generator. When the time comes I will talk to a buddy of mine who works for the same company I do. I work in VoIP engineering and he works in RF engineering for a wireless company. I am trying to learn more about radio as I am interested in it as a hobby.

The repeaters I have been looking at on ebay do not have duplexers, yes. However, I do not know if the one the local guy has uses a duplexer. I should be getting more information on that soon.

I am trying to use this forum and do things on my own rather than bugging my friend all the time. Don't want to be a nuisance.  :D

Guest spd641

Well, it looks like the local guy has a Ritron Responder with Celwave 633-6A-2 duplexer. Has notch filter but can't find the power cord. No cables or antenna included. Asking $100.00. Does anyone know anything about these?

attachicon.gifIMG_0446.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_0447.JPG

Looks like it may take more time and money than it is work and I think those are crystal controlled ,if so by the time you order crystals and tunes it and find duplexer cables and tune the duplexer you could buy a better repeater.

Looks like it may take more time and money than it is work and I think those are crystal controlled ,if so by the time you order crystals and tunes it and find duplexer cables and tune the duplexer you could buy a better repeater.

Agreed

a budget of 350 covered my sm50 twin and an RFS duplexer, you will also need some LMR400 feed line, apx 50 dollars, and a good antenna 50 to 100 dollars. if you go cheap, well you get what you pay for. I do not know anything about riton, but that Cellwave duplexer is worth 100 bucks. If you have access to the equipment to tune it you will want a good one.

I asked how much he would take for just the Celwave. He wants $25 for it. Regardless of whether or not it has the cables or needs to be tuned, that price is a steal! Of course I told him I would buy it. Looks like I just need to get my radios, wire, and antenna.

Any recommendations?

Now that I have a duplexer I am thinking of getting a DB400 series antenna. I have been looking at the 404, 408, and 420 if I can get a used one for a good price.

I have decided to take another approach to building this repeater. I am going to build from the antenna down. I will slowly buy my antennas choosing the right ones. I now have a decent duplexer and my buddy says he is pretty sure he can tune it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but what I glean is: height, antenna, and leadwires are the most important components in any base station or repeater. The radios are important and getting good quality is necessary, but the best radio on the market will be crippled with poor antennas and leads.