Opinion on BTech GMRS Pro

WRUC518

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 10.26.51 AM.png

24 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

Maybe he uses the GMRS Pro to prop up his HAM HT so it doesn't tip over?

I think he was referring to his BTech DMR 6x2, which of course needs a Ham License to operate DMR:

On 11/8/2022 at 2:30 PM, WRVD220 said:

Just ordered a 6x2. Over it with the uv-5r. Will use it to monitor, none of the unlock tricks work on it and it's a few years old. Best Repeater near me is Digital so it was time. Do like that it has number keys, without number keys, I think that would get bothersome.

Next is continued research for a DIY repeater to install at my home. 

He hasn't been back since November 11th; I hope he gives the Ham test another try and in any event, gets active in GMRS and returns.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased the BTEC GMRS PRO today online, even though I have plenty of radios that I could use. Sure, they maybe not be typed accepted, but the FCC hasn't fined users for uncertified radio, unless there was something seriously wrong with a particular radio and the operator failed to correct the problem. Anyway, I don't need to start a back-and-forth discussion on whether I just misinterpreted the R&Rs or I'm completely wrong.  I'm sure manufacturers or vendors would need bank loan to pay fine if the FCC caught them selling PART 90 OR 97 to operate in 95 territories.

To all who have or read my post, Happy Holidays! 

2 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

Part 90 is valid as long as said radio does not have the ability to transmit on frequencies used by non-type-accepted (Part 97).

Please post a reference to the section of Part 90 that forbids that.

Once you do, you might want to let Alinco and HRO know that they cannot sell this radio any more:

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-013120 

That's one of many, of course.

16 hours ago, wrci350 said:

Please post a reference to the section of Part 90 that forbids that.

Once you do, you might want to let Alinco and HRO know that they cannot sell this radio any more:

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-013120 

That's one of many, of course.

I was responding to the concept of a Part 90/Part 95 E combination certification. A part 90 radio that is also part 95 E is valid for GMRS -- but if the part 90 radio can transmit on, say, Amateur frequencies, it CAN NOT be certified for Part 95 E.

2 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

I was responding to the concept of a Part 90/Part 95 E combination certification. A part 90 radio that is also part 95 E is valid for GMRS -- but if the part 90 radio can transmit on, say, Amateur frequencies, it CAN NOT be certified for Part 95 E.

I think that explains why there are no current radios that are both 90 and 95E certified.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WRVY822 said:

I'm new to GMRS and have two of these radios. I have been trying to scan for repeaters in my area with nothing so far. Are there any settings on the radio that I need to adjust to improve my scanning efforts?

Make sure you don’t have any tones set on receive. 
Some places simply have much more activity than others. This map illustrates where repeaters are concentrated:

3411767A-545A-4DF1-81DA-11B464F000AF.jpeg

59 minutes ago, WRVY822 said:

Each channel has these settings below. When you say have receive tones set to off are you talking about Rx CTCSS/DCS?

Rx Freq

Tx Freq

Rx CTCSS/DCS

Tx CTCSS/DCS

Tx Power

Bandwidth

Disable TX (toggle on or off)

Mute

Talk Around

Allow scan

Pre/De-emphasis

Yes. Exactly. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a new GMRS Pro as well and it really seems off. Deaf and dumb. I bought it from Amazon and as soon as I opened it up I thought it looked like an open box. The antenna was already attached and the charging cable was loose in the box with the twist tie removed and in the bottom as well. I have asked for a replacement radio hope it works better.

18 hours ago, WRWB464 said:

I just got a new GMRS Pro as well and it really seems off. Deaf and dumb. I bought it from Amazon and as soon as I opened it up I thought it looked like an open box. The antenna was already attached and the charging cable was loose in the box with the twist tie removed and in the bottom as well. I have asked for a replacement radio hope it works better.

When you get a replacement etc us know!

52 minutes ago, WRVG593 said:

When you get a replacement etc us know!

I got the replacement a couple of hours ago and it is like a completely different radio.

Actually, it acts just like a real radio. Sits here and chirps, whistles and I heard a distant conversation that did not seem to be on the repeater but simplex. 

I have not had anybody answer a radio check but at least locally there isn't a lot of GMRS traffic going on.

So yes, I am pretty convinced the first radio was a bad one.

PS I realized after that all the radios will come with the antenna attached due to the data capability. But the new one had the bits and pieces tied up with the wire tie which the first one did not, everything was just rattling around in the box.

PPS. I just A/Bd the 2 radios and the old one is just dead quiet while the new one squawks and chirps. 

Anyone know of comprehensive tutorial video or youtube video that goes through all the settings and features of the Btech gmrs pro? I need help with how to monitor Ham and other frequencies. I found the Scan feature, but not sure how to save frequencies as channels that I can monitor easily. And I have various other questions. Just wondering if someone has put out a good video on this radio.

2 hours ago, WRVY822 said:

Anyone know of comprehensive tutorial video or youtube video that goes through all the settings and features of the Btech gmrs pro? I need help with how to monitor Ham and other frequencies. I found the Scan feature, but not sure how to save frequencies as channels that I can monitor easily. And I have various other questions. Just wondering if someone has put out a good video on this radio.

Unfortunately -- the manual doesn't seem to show a scan function that works on memorized channels, only on VFO frequency ranges (which suggests one needs to set the frequency step to match the normal distribution used in your area, and the ranges to be on step boundaries).

Ok for anyone that has this radio (Btech gmrs pro), I was able to figure out how to save Ham channels for monitoring.

From the mobile app, you go to Device Settings, and then Channel & Groups. The FRS and GMRS channels are all saved in Group 1, so I put my local Ham frequencies in Group 2. I believe there are 6 groups and 30 channels in each group.

I found it more challenging to program the Ham frequencies from the radio. You have to use the two function keys just below the screen to enter into the right screen to be able to edit channels.

My next question I am trying to figure out is whether I can Dual Watch from different groups, meaning can I monitor a GMRS repeater channel from Group 1 while also monitoring a Ham channel from Group 2? I may have to program my local gmrs repeater into the same group as the Ham channels that I would want to monitor.

7 hours ago, WRVY822 said:

My next question I am trying to figure out is whether I can Dual Watch from different groups, meaning can I monitor a GMRS repeater channel from Group 1 while also monitoring a Ham channel from Group 2? I may have to program my local gmrs repeater into the same group as the Ham channels that I would want to monitor.

That I don't think you can do. You have to choose from one of the 6 channel groups that you have programmed then you can dual watch within that group. So yes, you will need to include your preferred repeater in each group.

I am becoming less and less impressed with this radio. After 5 or 6 days with it I am seriously considering sending it back. The phone app is cool but I think I would prefer something with search groups like this does, but with better front panel programming. The heavy lifting programming like what the app does can be done in chirp.

I've been playing with this radio for a while and thinking it's a great idea very poorly executed.   The activities that I can think of, where this radio would shine are hunting, snowmobiling and possibly atv'ing.  The nearest thing to this is the Garmin Rino at $650 each. 

I have been unable to figure out how to make the team's function work and the "ID Signaling" function is also fubar'd.  If you have more than 1 radio connected to the app on a device (phone or tablet) the app will change the ID to the same on all radios.

Then there is the map part of the app... Really btech?  Why did you even bother.  Where to start?  It's as bad as can be.  

If anyone in se Idaho would like to do some field testing, please get in touch.  I am near Rexburg.

I have way too many radios, to include the BTECH gmrs pro and the wouxun KG935G. As I think others have noted, I can set them side by side both with Nagoya 771G antennas. The wouxun picks up way more traffic. The BTECH does work pretty well and I think the Bluetooth and easy program on the fly make it a worthwhile radio to own. If I really needed one radio I knew I could count on though, this would not be it. The wouxun is hands down the best gmrs I have.