Opinion on BTech GMRS Pro

WRUC518

15 minutes ago, Rikeman said:

I have way too many radios, to include the BTECH gmrs pro and the wouxun KG935G. As I think others have noted, I can set them side by side both with Nagoya 771G antennas. The wouxun picks up way more traffic. The BTECH does work pretty well and I think the Bluetooth and easy program on the fly make it a worthwhile radio to own. If I really needed one radio I knew I could count on though, this would not be it. The wouxun is hands down the best gmrs I have.  

You can never have too many radios. There is always going to be some feature or function you want on your "favorite" radio but doesn't have it. Then you see it on another radio. Soon you start thinking about buying it.

You can spot a radio geek by the number of radios hanging off their belt. Most likely they have more than one.

2 minutes ago, Lscott said:

You can never have too many radios. There is always going to be some feature or function you want on your "favorite" radio but doesn't have it. Then you see it on another radio. Soon you start thinking about buying it.

You can spot a radio geek by the number of radios hanging off their belt. Most likely they have more than one.

I resemble that remark. 

2 hours ago, blastco2 said:

Did someone say TOO MANY radios?  That'd be like saying your girl friend is too pretty.  Just can't ever be true.???

o/~ If you want to be happy for the rest of your life,
           Never make a pretty woman your wife;
      So from my personal point of view,
           Get an ugly girl to marry you o/~

7 hours ago, WRVY822 said:

Does anyone know if you can setup/program multiple radios using the same mobile phone with the app? Do you have to use a separate mobile device for each radio?

Although I don’t have this particular radio, it just wouldn’t make sense for the manufacturer to do that.

I tried searching for “cloning Btech GMRS Pro” but came up empty. Sorry.

19 hours ago, WRVY822 said:

Does anyone know if you can setup/program multiple radios using the same mobile phone with the app? Do you have to use a separate mobile device for each radio?

I've setup two of these radios from the same iphone, and also accessed them both from the app on an Android phone.

I have three of these, and yes you can program multiple radios from 1 device.  My advice is to mark each radio so you can tell which is which.  I put white paint dots on. 1, 2 and 3. When you "pair" each radio, name it in the app according to the mark you've used.  There are 2 different places in the app for names. The 1st and most important that you find will be when you pair the radio to your device.  

In the app under settings there is "ID Signaling".  Every time you connect a radio to the app you will need to change this to the name of the current radio.  If not all of your radios will display the same name.

An interesting finding with this radio:  it will receive and display aprs signals.  Aprs will not receive gmrs-pro data.  Thinking that the baud rate must be north of 9600.

Just a couple of thoughts about the gmrs-pro.  Very nice audio quality for an Ht.   I have been able to TX/RX id, location and text 7.5 miles.  Really like being able to control most functions and settings through the app.  

The channel group thing needs some correction.  I was able to program 144.390 into group 2 and change to that group with the app but could not get the app to change back to group 1.  Had to use the radio onboard menu and buttons to get back to group 1.

Does anyone with this radio know if their is a difference between the Scan button on the mobile app next to Dual CH and the Scan found in Device Settings on the mobile app? Are they scanning in different ways?

Is there a way to Scan only the channels/frequencies that you have toggled to Allow scan?

I bought these radios for the combination of voice and GPS functionality.  Without the GPS it's really just another radio.  Having said that, I'm loving this radio for motorized recreation.  For those of you that don't snowmobile in the mountains on public land, ( state, blm, Nat forest) there are groomed trails that will lead you into the play areas where, riding becomes a "free for all".  It is allowed to ride anywhere.  Keeping track of your riding buddies is a lot like herding cats.  Then someone gets stuck in a place where he cant be seen easily.  This radio is a very useful tool.  I can look at my phone and see him on the map showing direction and distance.  Priceless!

Here is an EXTREEM example of radio use in the Backcountry.

http://www.tetoncountysar.org/latest-news/2023/3/6/qk29lnp7936s69wiw56idtnp8ll4jj

On 3/3/2023 at 2:45 PM, blastco2 said:

The channel group thing needs some correction.  I was able to program 144.390 into group 2 and change to that group with the app but could not get the app to change back to group 1.  Had to use the radio onboard menu and buttons to get back to group 1.

My bad on this one...

Channel groups are very easy to change from the app.  On the channel screen, near the top. There are 4 icons, 1st one looks sort of like paper with 2 folds, tap it to change channel groups.

I just picked up two of the GMRS PRO handhelds and initially was really impressed.  However I seem to be running into a limitation of texting feature.  I've searched and could not find anyone else reporting this.  Not sure why both handhelds are running into this limitation or if I missed a limitation documented.

• If I send a simple message, for example "Hi how are you?" it goes through.
  • If I try to send a longer message, for example "What is the maximum length of a message you can send" it is never delivered to the other handheld (App or locally on the radio.

Using the Apple iOS version of the BTECH GMRS app.

Has anyone else run into this scenario?  I understand you're limited by how often you can send a message but figured the app would limit you to a max length if there is one?

Edit #1:  It appears there is a limit of 48 characters (including spaces) between both the iOS and Android apps.  Handheld to HH seems to support more characters but I don't anyone wants to use the on screen keyboard.

Feature request for the gmrs pro.

The channel screen boxes will show if you have a tone set on both TX & rx. Ctc is displayed in the lower left corner of the channel box.  If you only have a tone set on the TX side there is no indication in the channel box.  Would be nice to have a T displayed.

I purchased two of the GMRS Pros and so far it seems like the location data doesn't always share between units.  I'm brand spankin new to to this so there is a high chance my own ignorance is a contributing factor.

1. Both radios on same channel and about 40ft apart.  Signaling Near by People, gets no response.  If I transmit voice between both units then try signaling near by people, I will get the reply with the GPS location.

2. I was under the impression that you could tag the location data to the end of each transmission without having to do any signaling/messaging but I can't seem to figure that out.

I bought the Btech GMRS Pro and like the Bluetooth connectivity.  Its a solid little radio.  Asked for permission to connect with the local GMRS repeater and awating a response.

I also appreciate the comments above where people opined that if others don't have the GMRS Pro you don't get to take advantage of the advanced features.  I program all my other handhelds using Chirp, which currently doesn't support the Btech GMRS Pro from what I can see.  I like how I can make the Chirp screen bigger for my old(er) eyes and I can simply copy / paste from other radio images the frequency/tones, etc. so they match.  Can't do that with the Btech bluetooth program or at least I haven't found it.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted say more now that I own 2 BTECH GMRS PRO. Sure there's gone to be some flaws, but overall, it's a simple radio to program and use. The BTECH GMRS PRO would even be more useful if a mobile version comes out. Especially for large events, such MS 150 City to Shore, that's if all volunteers have a GMRS license. 

I can't wait for BTECH to come out with an Amateur Radio UHF / VHF version. Hopefully, BTECH would include DMR or NXDN this way I could or any Amateur Radio Operator could also monitor railroads or other services.

• 2 weeks later...

I own two BTECH Ppro handhelds and a half dozen UV-9G handhelds. Lots of Nagoya antennas as I like a 701 & 771 option for each radio.

I find programming via Chirp simple on the UV-9G but that isn’t an option on the Pro.

The app used for the Pro is fine for using one of the six available channel groups/banks, but I’ve had a lot of frustration getting the other banks programmed.

As for BTECH’s “USA based” customer service…. it really sucks. Just this week I reached out via email - the only option for contacting them - and we went back and forth, with lots of runaround and no solution. They actually wanted me to film myself programming so they could see what I’m doing. FFS I asked for a simple call, which likely could have resolved the issue quickly, but they refused to assist in a way that was convenient for me, the customer.

I have a Midland mobile 50w unit too and Was seriously considering Baofeng/BTECH mobiles for my other vehicles. Because of the ability to program multiple channel groups.

Now, after being several hundred deep in BTECH/Baofeng, I’m ready to sell all of their stuff and stick with Midland, as they actually have a phone number and people willing to help.

The products may be fine, the support is terrible.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two of these radios and so far I like them. One thing I have found to be annoying is that they don't seem to charge if I'm using a fast charging brick. I'm guessing this is some kind of limitation with the type c port on the batteries. Most of my chargers these days are some form of fast charging, so I have to search for an older brick to make sure I'm not using a fast charger. Sorry if this has been covered already.