Multi band mobile radio

WRTZ750

Question

On 12/8/2022 at 3:43 PM, Adamdaj said:

The simple answer is, NO! ... You're already aware that GMRS falls under FCC part 95 and Amateur Radio part 97. 

Aren't you the same guy who is promoting the use of the Wouxun KG-1000M to be a dual-band radio: both MURS and GMRS?!?

12 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Aren't you the same guy who is promoting the use of the Wouxun KG-1000M to be a dual-band radio: both MURS and GMRS?!?

No it was not.  I do not promote anything on here.  I ask questions and try to learn about GMRS and radio in general from those with more experience than I.  

I think I may have asked if the KG-1000G could be unlocked and if I didn't ask it, I sure was thinking it.

No firmware crack is available that I know of.

The sister amateur radio I know people have been able to unlock, not a gigantic amount of information out there on how.

The firmware is the main difference between the two radios.

There is really no point to open tx the radio. Since the kg1000g has the ability to listen to ham bands it is tx locked on those frequencies.

17 hours ago, WRTZ750 said:

So theoretically the Anyone uv-778 or Retevis ra25?  Are there any 50 watt radios capable of this?  For monitoring only, of course?

I imagine you said AnyTone, but yes. Or even the Baofeng UV5R and its variants for a HT. But for monitoring of course. Obviously the UV5R is a Ham, not gmrs HT. But some say in dire need, those radios as well as the Cheap radios I've said work just fine, specially for a dual band radio. 

2 hours ago, WRTZ750 said:

No it was not.  I do not promote anything on here.  I ask questions and try to learn about GMRS and radio in general from those with more experience than I.  

I think I may have asked if the KG-1000G could be unlocked and if I didn't ask it, I sure was thinking it.

You misunderstood my post.

I quoted @Adamdajand asked him a question:

Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 7.53.33 AM.png

The question was not directed to you!

Also, if you had clicked the underlined link ("the same guy"), it would have taken you back to the other thread where @Adamdaj is promoting dual use of the KG-1000M for both MURS and GMRS.

13 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

You misunderstood my post.

I quoted @Adamdajand asked him a question:

Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 7.53.33 AM.png

The question was not directed to you!

Also, if you had clicked the underlined link ("the same guy"), it would have taken you back to the other thread where @Adamdaj is promoting dual use of the KG-1000M for both MURS and GMRS.

My misunderstanding.  I apologize for that.  I do appreciate the sharing of knowledge here so it is not my intention to offend.  

Well after all that heated conversation....  Couldn't a person get a portable/desk scanner for listening to radio traffic over many ranges and avoid the TX and part this and part that issues? 

Most newer people have no Idea which mhz / khz are for what.  Even this newbie only knows enough to not know if an Icom IC-FR4100 UHF Repeater 3302477 (Marine) Ebay should even be touched, ignore it's from India and that potential issue.

Let's not get into the 26 Ghz range assuming my memory is right, doubt I have doc's but I may, I installed in microwave comms yearssss (10's) ago. (Windstar).

It is very complicated to understand what I can and cannot use handheld, mobile, repeater with all the web sites and videos.  As an example: notarubicon says you can use many of them as long as you do not TX on them on non GMRS channels, basically.  That clearly does not even start to get into the net it up to mygmrs, or DMR, LMR, P25, digital / analog combined devices.  on an on and on.

To bad MyGMRS site does not have a combined non forum non blog listing of examples of what is ok what is not ok. How to listen across oh which bands cover which traffic, even if a wiki redirect.

Lots of fun for us newbies.

7 minutes ago, WRVD377 said:

Well after all that heated conversation....  Couldn't a person get a portable/desk scanner for listening to radio traffic over many ranges and avoid the TX and part this and part that issues? 

Most newer people have no Idea which mhz / khz are for what.  Even this newbie only knows enough to not know if an Icom IC-FR4100 UHF Repeater 3302477 (Marine) Ebay should even be touched, ignore it's from India and that potential issue.

Let's not get into the 26 Ghz range assuming my memory is right, doubt I have doc's but I may, I installed in microwave comms yearssss (10's) ago. (Windstar).

It is very complicated to understand what I can and cannot use handheld, mobile, repeater with all the web sites and videos.  As an example: notarubicon says you can use many of them as long as you do not TX on them on non GMRS channels, basically.  That clearly does not even start to get into the net it up to mygmrs, or DMR, LMR, P25, digital / analog combined devices.  on an on and on.

To bad MyGMRS site does not have a combined non forum non blog listing of examples of what is ok what is not ok. How to listen across oh which bands cover which traffic, even if a wiki redirect.

Lots of fun for us newbies.

You can listen to almost anything. Many of the tw way radios have very wide open receivers and limited transmitters. 
The exception is cellular. You won’t find any approved receivers for that. 

9 hours ago, Sshannon said:

You can listen to almost anything. Many of the tw way radios have very wide open receivers and limited transmitters. 
The exception is cellular. You won’t find any approved receivers for that. 

This doesn't seem to get mentioned much but if you're an active scanner user there might be some pitfalls.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/605

On 11/29/2022 at 10:32 AM, WRTZ750 said:

Question for those with more experience on this.  I'm looking for a radio I can put in a vehicle or switch between vehicles that will tx and rx between 144 MHz on up to the Gmrs frequencies.

Is there such an all in one radio?  

Michael Lax has it correct. There really isn't a mobile multi band transceiver, at least not FCC typed accepted for multi services.  I could just imagine if the FCC approved a manufacture for Multi Service multi band transceiver, it would be chaos in between services. Sure, you could modify your radio, but you would have to do testing to keep in compliance even though it's wouldn't ever be type accepted. I have had some of my radios modified, but I regret doing that now.  I want a radio that handled two service, but I realize I was breaking rules & regulations by doing that.

However, I still continue to use my CS-800D and CS-800 for Amateur Radio DMR and GMRS,even though both of those radios are part 90 and not 95 or 97

19 minutes ago, Adamdaj said:

However, I still continue to use my CS-800D and CS-800 for Amateur Radio DMR and GMRS,even though both of those radios are part 90 and not 95 or 97

There is no such thing as a "Part 97" radio, so using one with Part 90 acceptance isn't breaking any rules.  The only certification you will find on a ham radio is Part 15.