Retevis 40 watt repeater

VETCOMMS

Question

On 1/7/2023 at 11:49 AM, WRTZ750 said:

Then I saw this and started to get excited but it's DMR.

That repeater looks pretty cool. Can't find anything about the price of it but did find this nugget of knowledge from the website....

The HR65X can operate in analog mode, DMR mode, or dynamic mixed digital/analog mode, which automatically switches between analog and digital based on the call it receives.

Just now, markskjerve said:

That repeater looks pretty cool. Can't find anything about the price of it but did find this nugget of knowledge from the website....

The HR65X can operate in analog mode, DMR mode, or dynamic mixed digital/analog mode, which automatically switches between analog and digital based on the call it receives.

Which cannot be used on GMRS...so its a moot point. 

9 minutes ago, gortex2 said:

That frequency is not in the GMRS or HAM bands so using it to prove a point is inaccurate. 

I take it you've never tuned an antenna. Not a problem.

If you need an antenna to operate on a set of frequencies, you tune to the middle of your target range. GMRS operates on 462 and 467 MygiggleHurtz. You can do the math (I hope) to find the middle of the band.

Wait, do you actually think because 464.500MHz doesn't have the label of HAM or GMRS you think this is "inaccurate"? Titles have nothing to do with whether or not a frequency is in the middle of the band in question. Not only that, with it being in the middle of the band, not only is it accurate, it's ideal. I do appreciate you making it abundantly clear you have almost no idea how to RF. Makes it easier to disregard your replies in the future.

Now go out and do your own research and stop making stupid human comments. They waste everyone's time and make you look really, really silly. Just imagine the people who just read your reply there that do know how to tune an antenna. All the laughter and ridicule happening right now, because of you!

25 minutes ago, markskjerve said:

Who says you have to use or enable DMR if it supports analog? 

If you haven't caught on, gortex there likes to pretend they have extensive knowledge of apparently everything GMRS. Yet does not have a clue how to tune an antenna or that you could run that repeater in analog mode.

I'm starting to think everything they say is a "moot point"...

19 minutes ago, WRWM700 said:

If you haven't caught on, gortex there likes to pretend they have extensive knowledge of apparently everything GMRS. Yet does not have a clue how to tune an antenna or that you could run that repeater in analog mode.

I have not noticed that, but I did notice that you just signed up here and that was only your 4th post and you're already being a dickhead. 

Interesting point. Been in the radio field myself for 30+ years. I have 3 GMRS repeaters in the Syracuse area.  You made it a point in your 2nd post that you worked for United Radio, yet in 30 years myself or another manager who worked at UR never heard of you but your an expert on GMRS after getting your license 3 days ago. 

My point on the HRX repeater was his comment that the repeater could be used on DMR, Analog or switch automatically. Being we cant use DMR on GMRS (and you being an expert on all things radio) I figured it was worth mentioning. There is no benefit if it will change as you can only use analog on GMRS.  

And being you want to be technical 465.1375 is the center of the GMRS frequency list. The lowest frequency we can operate on is 462.550. the top frequency is 467.725. A calculator will tell you that's 5.175mhz split. Doing more math says half of that (or the middle of the band, is 2.5875mhz. 

So 452.550+2.5875=465.1375 and 467.725-2.5875=465.2.5875

And funny story on 465.1375. Its the input to the receive multi-coupler of the Search and Rescue Teams repeater that I just replaced in November in Syracuse. But your right I know nothing about RF. Guess I have my company fooled pretty good. 

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

I have not noticed that, but I did notice that you just signed up here and that was only your 4th post and you're already being a dickhead. 

I know @OffRoaderX and I don't agree on many things but this is one I can support.

You do realize this is a hobby forum and if you spent 10 minutes searching posts you would have found many posts on cable loss's, repeaters, DMR and even Roger Beeps. Everyone has there own opinions and many help out new folks. Love it or hate it GMRS is changing and if a person wants a Midland RT repeater or a GTR8000 they can do it and will learn. 

3 hours ago, WRWM700 said:

Now from looking around on here and reading the stickies, I cannot discuss how all of this can be easily and cheaply mitigated with a nice 100W commercial UHF radio for xmit on your repeater. There are many calculators that will show you what your xmit power will be in the situation above though and/or my inbox is open.

I’m still wondering what you plan to mitigate on GMRS with a 100 watt transmitter. 

38 minutes ago, gortex2 said:

My point on the HRX repeater was his comment that the repeater could be used on DMR, Analog or switch automatically. Being we cant use DMR on GMRS (and you being an expert on all things radio) I figured it was worth mentioning. There is no benefit if it will change as you can only use analog on GMRS.  

A few of the GMRS repeaters around here are XPR or Quantar's that are capable of DMR or P25 but the digital modes are off. I just thought it was a pretty cool little repeater that has ethernet port for IP multi-site connectivity, built in battery backup, etc. Being a new product, from a pretty reputable company with a lot of nice features but only 25/10 watts I'd still guess it sells for over $1500 but I can't find pricing. A bit pricy for GMRS and there are a lot of better options around.

I was under the assumption when I replied to the post about it the OP thought it was DMR only ("Then I saw this and started to get excited but it's DMR") and just wanted to let him know it was capable of analog. 

Didn't mean to start a war, gortex2 has been the source of a lot of good info and value his opinion.

Wow.  Thanks for the info on that HRX repeater as I did not know it could be used on analog.  I learn a lot here, and it's easy to take things out of context with the typed word and get pissy about things.  I'm guilty of it myself.

Let's try to get along and HELP one another, not tear each other apart.  There too much hate in the world to be spreading negativity on a radio forum as well.  

7 hours ago, WRWM700 said:

If you need an antenna to operate on a set of frequencies, you tune to the middle of your target range.

7 hours ago, WRWM700 said:

... with it being in the middle of the band ...

When speaking of repeater antenna, the target range for transmitting is 462.550 - 462.725. Middle is 462.6375. This antenna will receive just as good on 467.650 - .725.

I usually gloss over signatures, but thanks for the hint from 653. This is a dickhead, indeed.

I learned my lesson, and learning is fun and expensive, and I scrapped the concept of interfacing two CCR mobile radios to make a repeater that could  only receive a 4 watt Motorola XTS5000 portable radio no more than a mile from the repeater antenna. I elected to buy a never used Vertex Standard EVX R70-G7-40 (which looks exactly like a Motorola XPR 8400) for only $700 and I am surprised in the FARS I can get kicking the repeater with my portable keying up in the car in the essentially flat Phoenix Area. I guess the repeater will never see the digital mode, at least on GMRS frequencies.

The only real coverage testing I have done so far has resulted in very good coverage with portable radios up to about 6-7 miles between the repeater antenna and two portable radios. One user keying the radio from inside the car and the other radio sitting in a cup holder of a Golf Car about two feet off the ground communicating with a speakermic.

A mobile radio coverage test with 50 watt mobiles will be conducted soon when I get some extra time to do the test.  Old People Community activities, car racing, car and radio clubs, take up my other available time slots throughout the day.

PS: If you're selling Solar, please don't ring my doorbell, I don't have time to answer the door or answer the telephone to give you the expiration of my credit card for verification.

1 hour ago, nokones said:

PS: If you're selling Solar, please don't ring my doorbell, I don't have time to answer the door or answer the telephone to give you the expiration of my credit card for verification.

? It's funny because it's true. 

On 3/11/2023 at 9:52 AM, gortex2 said:

That frequency is not in the GMRS or HAM bands so using it to prove a point is inaccurate. 

It's a middle point to show average line loss between 462 and 467 mhz...which are the two frequencies the GMRS repeaters operate on so it is quite accurate to use. 

Edit: I should have checked to see there was as page 2 to this post....I see this was addressed already. :)