Linked GMRS Repeaters in CA?

2 hours ago, WRUE915 said:

Was hoping there was something more along the lines of CARLA and SCARLA (amateur radio) for GMRS. I want to communicate from the bay area to other locales in northern California such as Sacramento and Redding.

But looks like I'll have to get more folks to HAM if I want that.

http://www.carlaradio.net/

Yeah, unfortunately we don't have a good equivalent to the SWCRS here in CA. 

On the ham side, outside of CARLA, I don't know of any that have the same level and breadth of coverage. The WIN system covers more area, but not as thoroughly. N6LYE has some coverage into Sacramento, but not much north or into the bay that I know of. There's also WB6ECE and W6DXW (Salinas Valley Repeater Group) covering the bay area and down the central coast, and a bit of the valley...I know the SVRG Fremont Peak machine can be reached from a fair bit of the sierras, both east of Sacramento and down into central CA.

9 hours ago, WRUE915 said:

I wasn't aware of CARLA.

I programmed in the Los Angeles repeater and can hit it cleanly, all the way to Santiago Peak.

I gave a call for some information, but no reply.

Interestingly, the JPL SoCal Repeater list for 440 shows it, but not as CARLA; but checking the Repeaters callsign on QRZ does confirm it for CARLA.

41 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

I wasn't aware of CARLA.

I programmed in the Los Angeles repeater and can hit it cleanly, all the way to Santiago Peak.

I gave a call for some information, but no reply.

Interestingly, the JPL SoCal Repeater list for 440 shows it, but not as CARLA; but checking the Repeaters callsign on QRZ does confirm it for CARLA.

On another note, I discovered PAPA now has a repeater on Joaquin Ridge near Coalinga, in the same general area as one of the CARLA sites (#15)..was picking up a new signal recently, and discovered it's a PAPA machine that went up in September.

1 hour ago, wayoverthere said:

On another note, I discovered PAPA now has a repeater on Joaquin Ridge near Coalinga, in the same general area as one of the CARLA sites (#15)..was picking up a new signal recently, and discovered it's a PAPA machine that went up in September.

You're right!  I didn't realize they added one up there. Can you hit it? PAPA 32: 442.600

I sent you a PM with the PL twice, but I am not sure it went through.

24 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

You're right!  I didn't realize they added one up there. Can you hit it? PAPA 32: 442.600

I sent you a PM with the PL twice, but I am not sure it went through.

Yep, it came through, thank you.

Haven't tried hitting it from home yet...my "shack" is a pair of monoband vertex LMR decks, so I'll need to dig out the cable to load the new channel (at least until I shuffle radios again)

I CAN hit the CARLA machine okay, and can hit it better on the mobile, so I should be able to get into the PAPA machine as well.

On 1/4/2023 at 2:59 PM, wayoverthere said:

On the ham side, outside of CARLA, I don't know of any that have the same level and breadth of coverage. The WIN system covers more area, but not as thoroughly. N6LYE has some coverage into Sacramento, but not much north or into the bay that I know of. There's also WB6ECE and W6DXW (Salinas Valley Repeater Group) covering the bay area and down the central coast, and a bit of the valley...I know the SVRG Fremont Peak machine can be reached from a fair bit of the sierras, both east of Sacramento and down into central CA.

Is the Condor system still active? 1.25m band.

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2023 at 8:54 AM, WRUE915 said:

Was hoping there was something more along the lines of CARLA and SCARLA (amateur radio) for GMRS. I want to communicate from the bay area to other locales in northern California such as Sacramento and Redding.

That's exactly what I did, got my Technician License. Now I can take advantage of both worlds.  There are some great GMRS repeaters that cover a lot of areas, but no networks that span the state (that I know of). Just takes money!