Which Digital Voice Modes Do You Have Equipment To Operate?

Lscott

31 minutes ago, Lscott said:

Another question can those radios be setup for an auto ID using CW? Just about every radio with builtin cross band repeat I know about has the same problem. No way to do an auto ID. The NX HT's I have include a CW ID function, but it's not automatic. You have to assign it to a function key then press it to send.

I have the same option for NXDN. Have to assign a key. Nothing automatic.

34 minutes ago, Lscott said:

I looked at the P25 radios I have, TK-5220/5320, and they don't have this feature.

Not available for P25 or DMR on these either.

When I saw this feature in NXDN, I asked a few guys on the commercial side. Most of the time, all traffic goes through a repeater, which takes care of the ID. The rules say, even for itinerant licenses, without repeater infrastructure, have to ID regularly. It is permitted that a mobile or base can do this ID for the entire fleet. I did ask how those running 50 HTs, or running analog, handled this requirement, as I never saw a CW ID feature in any other radio. The response was a shrug. I assume everyone ignores it and doesn't comply.

But it does bring up the question, in amateur radio, even if the repeater IDs, your digital signal doesn't ID (except with aliases) without being decoded, so how are we considered compliant by using voice identification over a digital mode?

32 minutes ago, Lscott said:

I don't think I've notice that. Next time I get around to playing with the XPR's I'll look for it.

It is the button right next to write. I've used it once, but not sure if there are other hangups.

33 minutes ago, Lscott said:

Anyway that's cool you can do cross band and cross mode repeat. Do you know if the audio is sent in digital format between the two radio decks or is it analog? I'm assuming it is.

I believe this is pure analog audio out the back. The box between the two is just isolation transformers and a solenoid to turn the connection on and off.

The NX-5k comes with a "Mobile Relay Station" built in, that does not require a DB25 cable, but you have to pick the zone/channel in the programming and it can't be changed without a reflash. This is an alternative option, and it works for other radios as well: https://albertaradiosupply.com/collections/kern/products/linking-cable-for-kenwood-tk7180-nx700-nx5000-radios-crossband-operation

45 minutes ago, Lscott said:

On a different topic how much has this setup cost you so far?

I don't want to tally it up, and you don't want to know.  Just the entitlements the way I wanted it is more than my GMRS repeater. But for a radio system that should last near forever, and the level of interoperability I have in a small simple package, its probably worth it in the end. 

29 minutes ago, tweiss3 said:

I don't want to tally it up, and you don't want to know.  Just the entitlements the way I wanted it is more than my GMRS repeater. But for a radio system that should last near forever, and the level of interoperability I have in a small simple package, its probably worth it in the end. 

It's a hobby. People will comment about the money I've spent on my radio collection and electronic test gear. I ask them how much did those new snowmobiles motorcycles and boat, they use just a few months out of the year, cost them. The silence from them is pure gold. 

1 hour ago, tweiss3 said:

No, I have not. There is supposedly a pigtail for the portables, still waiting on part number and cost. I may start playing with this.

On the NX-200/300 series radios the programing cable should work for the data communications too. The programming software uses the serial port.

The wrinkle is when the port is used for data exchange. The port works a bit different. Since it's used to program the radio it's obvious it can't be a "full time" serial data exchange port when you setup the port in the radio programming software.

Apparently what Kenwood's firmware does is looks for commands from the programming software running on the computer to start a radio write operation for code plug loading. That has to happen within the first 10 seconds after the radio is powered up. After that the port reverts to the serial data exchange mode. You have to be quick and ready to click that write button when you turn on the radio if you want to load a code plug, or read one out.