Roger Beep

Wrvq441

As I have posted the other week, I am fairly new to GMRS, although I have been around two way communication for many years.

I have recently received permission to use a repeater in my area  and am very appreciative of this.  The other day, after listening several day to the local traffic to learn proper etiquette, I attempted to communicate through the repeater by identifying myself with call sign and location. 

Some guy instantly acknowledged me and demanded that I turn off my roger beep because it raises havoc with the equipment.  From my previous listening, I know that this individual is not the owner of the repeater.

Now, if the owner himself doesn’t like roger beeps, its his equipment, and he is gracious enough to allow me to use it. For this I’m am very thankful and will oblige any demands or requests that he has. If I don’t like his demands and requests, I don’t have to use his service.

My question to the forum is; a roger beep is a roger beep. As far  as I can tell, it’s just an additional part of your transmission.  I really need someone to explain in terms that my little rat like brain can comprehend how a roger beep is going to take out someone’s equipment.  

The way I look at this whole thing….. Instead of idiots that like to deadkey and jam repeaters, it they are that malicious, why don’t they just send out a series of roger beeps and nuke the entire system. Apparently roger beeps can be as destructive as an actual EMP.

Thanks ahead of time for your feedback.  I look much forward to learning more about the destructive powers of the roger beep.

22 minutes ago, Wrvq441 said:

My question to the forum is; a roger beep is a roger beep. As far  as I can tell, it’s just an additional part of your transmission.  I really need someone to explain in terms that my little rat like brain can comprehend how a roger beep is going to take out someone’s equipment.  

I have no idea how it could be destructive.  I understand that “some people” find them annoying — that’s obvious from @gortex2‘s reply — but destructive?  I don’t see how.  I agree with you that the repeater owner definitely has the last say, but I also think there’s little to gain by joining a repeater and right away doing something that irritates many or most of the other users. I would listen to hear if others use roger beeps and then follow the community norm, just to keep the peace, especially if you hope to talk with any of them on the air.

2 hours ago, gortex2 said:

Roger Beeps are for CB and some ham radio. I'd tell you the same. No need for it in GMRS. This was just discussed 6 months ago.

I find they are irritating but they do serve a purpose. Using a repeater with a long hang time and several participating in a round table discussion the Roger Beep lets everyone know the repeater is available for the next guy to key up to use. Some repeaters use a "courtesy tone" for this but many don't. I've stepped on others and had the same happen to me, you're not sure the other guy is finished talking or just pausing for a few seconds before continuing. 

Usually the roger beep is overdeviated and can nearly blow your eardrum out if you are using a bluetooth earpiece. I've had that a few times where I ripped that thing off my ear cause it hurt. MDC & FleetSync tones are much more subdued, as are courtesy tones, usually at 80% deviation or less, and much easier on the ears.

My two cents, which adjusted for inflation has dropped to a penny, is that roger beeps can get annoying, especially if they're loud. A lot of repeaters have courtesy tones, so if you add in roger beeps, it can get more annoying. The courtesy tone is not working on the ham repeater I use, so you need to listen for the repeater to drop or watch your S-meter. So in those cases, maybe a roger beep would help. Same with simplex. But using a roger beep on a repeater with a courtesy tone may ruffle some feathers. Especially if it's a loud one. Personally, I don't really care, and I've never heard of roger beeps damaging equipment.

5 hours ago, gortex2 said:

This was just discussed 6 months ago.

Perhaps, but @Wrvq441only joined this Forum on January 9th.

Since this forum does not have "stickies" there is no way for a new member to glean important information without asking.

Now some may say that there is a "Search" function, but those that say that are most likely not using it.

If you search for Roger Beep, you get 234 results.

If you search for "Roger Beep" you get 87 results.

If you ask a new question, you are guaranteed to get the most up-to-date, fresh information about your question from members of this forum who actually enjoy helping out new members.

Unfortunately, you may get responses from one or two curmudgeons who's attitude is "Not so much!" 

Hey @BoxCar: Did Rich ever answer your question about incorporating FAQs?

5 hours ago, Wrvq441 said:

demanded that I turn off my roger beep because it raises havoc with the equipment.

I call BULLSHIT - just another Sad-HAM disguised as a GMRS user.  YOUR radio YOUR choice - if the sad-HAM control freaks dont like it, they can change the channel..  

HOWEVER - as you mentioned, if the repeater owner requests that you not use a roger-beep on his repeater, then following the wishes of the equipment owner who's equipment you are using would be the polite thing to do, IMO..

Roger Beeps are a love it hate it sort of thing and everyone seems to have an opinion. 

I have heard guys that complained about MDC on the air, which is NOT a Roger Beep but a digital Identifier that will display on most radios if they are programmed to decode it.  That would be the 'squawk' that you might have heard after a user talks, it you were wondering.

A lot of folks find the Roger Beeps annoying.  And I tend to agree with that myself.  I do have a Roger Beep in one of my CB radios that has had significant modifications to enhance the 'loudness' of the radio when transmitting, it also has a double ping that plays every time I key up and an echo board to further enhance the annoying factor when I get on the radio.  It's setup SPECIFICALLY to be obnoxious and to stir up hate and discontent.  I use other radios when I am just trying to talk on CB in a friendly manner and not irritate everyone on the air ways. 

And as OffRoaderX mentioned.  The ones you DO need to be concerned with are the repeater owners.  They put in a TON of effort and money to keep equipment on the air for your enjoyment.  And making them mad is a good way to not have a local repeater any more since they ARE the ones that can just pull the plug on the whole thing and sell it off on eBay.  Don't be the guy that gets the local repeater unplugged. 

To the creating havoc with the repeater system.  Not likely. 

I will say that there are some repeater controllers that can be configured to listen for DMTF and when it hears ANY DTMF it tries to do something with it.   That can cause issues with a controller.  But a couple tones played as a roger beep should NOT have effect on a controller.  

As I have posted the other week, I am fairly new to GMRS, although I have been around two way communication for many years.
I have recently received permission to use a repeater in my area  and am very appreciative of this.  The other day, after listening several day to the local traffic to learn proper etiquette, I attempted to communicate through the repeater by identifying myself with call sign and location. 
Some guy instantly acknowledged me and demanded that I turn off my roger beep because it raises havoc with the equipment.  From my previous listening, I know that this individual is not the owner of the repeater.
Now, if the owner himself doesn’t like roger beeps, its his equipment, and he is gracious enough to allow me to use it. For this I’m am very thankful and will oblige any demands or requests that he has. If I don’t like his demands and requests, I don’t have to use his service.
The way I look at this whole thing….. Instead of idiots that like to deadkey and jam repeaters, it they are that malicious, why don’t they just send out a series of roger beeps and nuke the entire system. Apparently roger beeps can be as destructive as an actual EMP.
Thanks ahead of time for your feedback.  I look much forward to learning more about the destructive powers of the roger beep.

No Roger beeps. Not proper etiquette. You'll find yourself with no one to talk to.

On Cb, Roger beeps are known as "good buddy beeps" . The user is inviting people for a romantic interlude at a rest area men's room.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, WRTT642 said:

Interesting ?

Sounds like an urban legend intended to frighten people away from using roger beeps.  

How about this? If you use a roger beep, just tell people it’s a Quindar tone used to turning on your remote relay stations. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quindar_tones ?

Thank you for all of the input.

The main reason for my original question was to verify that Roger Beeps are not the new EMP in the radio world. I understand and respect that some like it and others hate it, but thankfully it’s still a free Country that we can still make our own choices.

I personally don’t care if I use the Roger Beep or not on this persons repeater. It just so happened that the particular radio that I was using for my very first interaction on GMRS had the Roger Beep enabled. I don’t mind turning it off. I just don’t like someone, who by the way is just another user not the owner of the repeater, feeding me a line of B.S. for the sake of getting me to disable it.  If I wanted to be manipulated by people spoon feeding me crap I’d get into politics.

I will say that after listening to repeater traffic for the past few weeks that I somewhat like the Roger Beep for the sake of knowing when the transmission is complete. There are a few people that keep their radio keyed while they’re thinking and many times when that happens several other people try to key up.

I am in the process of getting my own repeater up and running due to the fact that there are none in my immediate area. (The repeater that I currently access is just barely in range.) And when I do set it up I’m going to use my Roger Beep. I’m looking forward to the first person telling me that I need to shut it off so as not to ruin the repeater. And as far as gay truck drivers looking to meet up because of my Roger Beep……. Well, thats why we have German Shepherds. 

I will provide public access to my repeater because I’m generally a nice guy.  If people boycott my repeater because I use a Roger Beep; I really don’t care. The main reason for my repeater is for family communication.

We have two repeaters that cover virtually all of Southern California and the use of roger-beeps is very strongly encouraged.. This discourages "some people" from using the repeaters making for a more pleasant repeater experience for everyone.   One of the repeaters also has it's own roger-beep.

And, while I doubt the following may be possible (for I am a real no0b), it would be a neat deal *if* one could via external programming software program their own "beep" and to transmit at a subtle volume so as not to aggrieve those bluetooth headset users alluded to earlier in this thread. 

I like the old-school, analog, true "beep", like one we might hear from the Mercury capsule days of the early 1960s... and just above barely audible at the end of one's tx...

/ponder