A strange thing happened on my way to a new repeater......

WRWB464

Everyone is taking a cheap shot at 900MHz MURS :rolleyes:. I tell you what, the 900MHz frequency hopping radios from Motorola (DLR and DTR series) is a perfect way to talk to wifes. Not only to your wife, but somebody else's too. They are actually somewhat secure with 10000 hopsets, and work like a charm. We have a few threads on them, at 900MHz forum.

As more groups try to keep up with the next guy/group on the linking subject, the ideas of keeping comms brief as possible is going to be VERY important!! I can't stress this enough. It is mind boggling to think of one paid subscription service I know that is methodically dominating the 8 channel space like they do. One guy pushes his xmit button and he is heard from Macon to Chattanooga with topics that have no relevance to anyone else. Yes, before anyone starts soiling themselves, it's a giant party line I know. The part that amazes me that I have never once heard anyone behind these kinds of linked systems say is, "gee, perhaps we need to chill out a little as we are hijacking every available channel". One time a radio pal of mine asked me, "why are you so rarely on the radio?"... I said, "because most of the time I have little to nothing to say". His response was a classic, he said, "well...that never stopped anybody"... Epic statement. The money steers the ship though. No matter how real, honest, and measurable, any of the postings on this thread are? Where does change actually occur? It starts with each and every one of us.

On 2/6/2023 at 3:18 PM, WRUU653 said:

Does anyone see the trend of linking repeaters as part of the issue??? It’s as if some people forget what the M in GMRS stands for… Yeah, that wont ruffle any feathers. Discuss amongst yourselves, I’ll be on the side monitoring. ?

I’ve been on both sides of this issue.  This is a quote from the FCC GMRS site:

You cannot directly interconnect a GMRS station with the telephone network or any other network for the purpose of carrying GMRS communications, but these networks can be used for remote control of repeater stations. 

But, it’s important to note that the actual regulations are phrased differently:

§ 95.1749 GMRS network connection.

Operation of a GMRS station with a telephone connection is prohibited, as in § 95.349. GMRS repeater, base and fixed stations, however, may be connected to the public switched network or other networks for the sole purpose of operation by remote control pursuant to § 95.1745

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

• 5 months later...
On 2/6/2023 at 11:30 AM, Sshannon said:

Thanks - I can understand not wishing to raise a repeater only to have it taken over for rag-chewing.  I get the idea that a lot of people buy GMRS licenses because paying $35 is the same for either hams or GMRS, but GMRS doesn't require a test.  It sounds as if the people flocking to GMRS are simply looking for an easier way to play radio.  I don't understand why someone who is already licensed as a ham would be attracted to GMRS for that reason.  Maybe these are people who either couldn't pass the test, were too intimidated to try, or it's just easier.  Perhaps the price for GMRS should be raised to $70 again and the price for a ham license be removed? ?

Oh please don't give them any more reasons to change more rules please

On 2/7/2023 at 1:18 PM, WRQC527 said:

In my humble opinion, hams calling other hams on GMRS defeats the entire purpose of being a ham in the first place. There may be situations where everyone in a group has a GMRS license but not everyone  has a ham license, so hams would be calling other hams on GMRS by necessity, but for me, if everyone in my group is a ham, we stay in our own yard.

That's exactly what I say if you can stay on your own band, it will save a lot of us GMRS user headaches.