UV-5R transmitting after unlock

WRVY822

Question

I just recently got a UV-5R and did the "hold three buttons and turn on" to unlock gmrs transmitting functionality. Before doing this I had already used Chirp to program the uv-5r and I set all the Ham frequencies/repeaters to off (the Duplex column) so I wouldn't accidentally transmit. The gmrs unlock must have canceled out those settings, because I realized I could transmit on a Ham repeater. I went to Chirp to re-download the radio and checked those duplex settings again. After uploading again to the radio, I could still transmit on Ham freq (which I don't want to). And I noticed that the red light indicator would stay on well after releasing the PTT button.

The only fix or work-around I have found so far was to go back to Chirp and just disable transmitting in the settings on all channels and frequencies, but this is not a long term solution I want.

I hope I explained that well. Does anyone have any ideas?

Personally radio communications for an emergency are limited. If your intent is to talk to family HAM may be a better option just for the resources that are out there. But in a true emergency dont rely on any. 90% of the ham stuff as well as GMRS does not have battery backup or if it does its not for extended use. While I have one repeater in a generator backup building none of the rest are and are off air during power outages. 

25 minutes ago, WRVY822 said:

My goal is simply to have a way to communicate with family during an emergency, and I was hoping to get a range of about 10 to 15 miles. After a little research, I decided to get a gmrs license and bought 2 Btech GMRS Pros. However, I have not been able to find many repeaters in my area so far, so I decided to get a Ham radio so I could listen and play around.

I'm starting to think that if I really want emergency comms, that I am going to need a base station. But I still haven't decided if gmrs or Ham is going to be the best for my situation.

And my cheap UV-5R quickly tripled in price when I added an antenna and extended battery.

It really depends on what you hope to accomplish with your emergency communications.  What kind of emergencies are you planning for?  Who do you need to communicate with in such an emergency? Just between you and your spouse or do you want to hear what’s going on in the rest of the world? What’s the worst case?  10-15 miles can be done between two radios if you’re both above any intervening terrain, but if you’re both at street level in a typical city you might be lucky to get a mile or two.

My advice is that the technology is just a small part of it. You will need to develop a comprehensive plan that includes communications with the outside world as well as communications between you and others in your immediate party. You’ll need to plan for backup power, field expedient antennas, and places to go to ensure that your signal can get through.

We are definitely working on a family plan including the things you mentioned. I mainly just want to be able to communicate with family (wife and kids) in the initial phase of an emergency so we can figure out a plan of where we are meeting. Main emergencies we are thinking through are weather events, or terrorist events that might take out cell phones and power. The challenge I am finding with radio, is that you have to purchase the equipment first in order to know what kind of range and capability you have in your location.

I'm really hoping GMRS works out, because I bought nicer radios for that. I just got the UV-5R to monitor Ham and play around. I probably didn't need to do the gmrs unlock. I think it's still working just fine other than the issue I am having. I just have to be careful not to press the PTT button while monitoring Ham.

Sorry but I don't equate a BTECH any better than the UV5R. They are both CCR units. Depending on location and what you can do with antenna systems there is alot to consider. At my house I have a commercial VHF antenna on the roof and with a 25 watt mobile get 15 miles around the house to a mobile. On UHF I also have a commercial UHF antenna (DB404) and get about 10 miles. Both antenna's are same height. All radios are commercial LMR gear. I don't see you getting 10-15 miles with handhelds unless there is a repeater in the center. And again that repeater would need to be on battery backup and be a good repeater. Height is king with any UHF RF signal so a repeater on a 300' tower in the center will work way better than one on your garage with the antenna at 15' in the air. 

I hate to say this but a cell site will stay online longer than most ham/gmrs sites. I personally have a Garmin Inreach for emergency use. At least its talking to a satellite. The safety plan is $15 a month and to me 100% worth it even if I don't use it. An option like that may be better for 2-3 family members vs radio. 

On 2/6/2023 at 8:31 PM, WRVY822 said:

Actually, my first radio purchase was 2 Btech GMRS Pros. I just bought the UV-5R to play around with monitoring Ham radio and to see what all the hype is about.

I just have to be careful not to press the PTT button while monitoring Ham.

Your GMRS Pro radios can monitor the VHF and UHF ham bands as well, without worrying about accidentally transmitting in the ham bands.

gortex2, my question for satellite devices would be reliability during a storm. I dropped Directv partly because I was tired of losing TV during a storm. Is it the same with Garmin devices, or are they better at holding signal during a storm?

I have considered Garmin devices, but they are pretty expensive.

6 minutes ago, WRVY822 said:

Sshannon, I didn't know that about the Btech gmrs pros. Would I have to get a different antenna for that? Not sure how to program the radio to do that.

No different antenna needed.  It’s receive only for the vhf/uhf bands other than GMRS.  At least that’s what’s advertised.  I’ll see if I can find the manual, but I would expect that all you have to do is tune it from the front panel or program receive frequencies using the CPS.

48 minutes ago, WRVY822 said:

gortex2, my question for satellite devices would be reliability during a storm. I dropped Directv partly because I was tired of losing TV during a storm. Is it the same with Garmin devices, or are they better at holding signal during a storm?

I have considered Garmin devices, but they are pretty expensive.

I have used mine in blizzard conditions once and once in rain so hard my DTV was out and both times the message went thru. I'm not saying it will alwasy go thru but those tests did for me. I would anticipate if you know there is a storm coming most comms would be up and sending a "are you ok" message after or during the event would go thru. But I also think 90% of the time a TXT doing the same will go thru. One other thought is alot of times local internet stays up for hours while power is out. If you have wifi there are multiple "chat" based apps that will work as long as you have WiFi or other ethernet connection. I dont rely on text for 90% of my messaging to be honest. 

Yes a $300 Garmin is expensive but in the end is it really ? 

Back to your UHF idea. If you get a mobile radio to use as a base get a decent antenna and line. Most folks spend money over and over trying different things. LMR400 is fine if you can keep it under 50' long. The Laird FG4603 is my go to antenna but its more than most want to spend. The Browning BR-6143 is a decent economy antenna that's just install and forget. The other cheaper ones require you to tune and assemble the antenna. Without spending funds on testers and stuff it takes more time. My parents got a Laird 4603 with 25' of LMR400 and a Midland Mobile. It works for them. Not sure he can get 10 miles but 5 miles are fine to another mobile. Base to Base may be further. 

5 hours ago, WRVY822 said:

Main emergencies we are thinking through are weather events,

During the last major storm event (Skywarn activated, so repeater was tied to Skywarn net and local NWS), the storm took down the Lowell repeater that was the primary system used in Kent county (the repeater appears to be on a farm silo a few miles north of me -- with two hills intervening so HTs from inside my faraday cage house may break squelch, but voice is not usable -- but the repeater has remote receivers throughout the county and some adjoining regions so coverage from HTs is normally quite good [the remotes use courtesy beeps of Morse code identifying the remote the signal came through]).

I hadn't caught the frequency of the alternate repeater, nor the last ditch simplex frequency...

22 hours ago, WRVY822 said:

kerstuff, does the "red light issue" prevent the radio from being able to successfully transmit on Ham frequencies/repeaters if a Ham license was acquired?

Sorry for the late post. In my case it totally freezes up, no transmission at all. BTW, I had previously programmed the radio before the unlock. YMMV.