2016 F150 - Midland 3dB gain Ghost Antenna, Larson Electronics No-Drill Mounting Bracket

WRVX790

Question

GO36DH0.jpg

Sf6JRM5.jpg

Not yet wired, but have M&P Hyperflex 5, an M&P PL259 ready to go to attach to the Dave's Hobby Shop NMO mount just installed in that Larson 3rd brake light sandwich mounting bracket. Just warming up to the idea of having to pull the vehicle's headliner... run the cable forward and down the passenger-side A-pillar to wherever I decide to mount the Wouxun KG-XS20G Plus that arrives tomorrow. 

Thanks for looking. 

4 hours ago, WhiskeyRomeo790 said:

Superb advice, thank you. No moonroof. It's an XLT SuperCrew, very lightly optioned, but with the 5.0 twin-cam four-valve Coyote V8. I bought the truck for the engine alone. Hard to find, Certified PreOwned, at the time. I looked through 110 trucks before I found it, then raced to the stealership with a large down. Love this thing. 

I don't know what the lateral B-pillar to B-pillar bracing looks like but I know it's there from another install found online. Because of that bracing I had thought to place the antenna centered in all directions between the B- and C-pillars. That would give some forward-facing bias in any radiation pattern, such as your install, and which was what I had hoped to achieve if I had used that Larson third brake light plate shown in the OP. Anyhoo...

Yours is a great installation! I really like your mic connection! in the console nook. That's very cool. I had thought of the flip-down sunglass compartment, but my KG-XS20G-Plus does not have a removable faceplate (like your HAM or the KG-1000G or any other decent radio) but the XS20-G is almost small enough to fit up there with some work. Maybe. 

I am thinking on top of the dash using BuiltRight Industries' mount, but because there's sunlight exposure there, to make an insulated shade for the radio for when I do not remove it from prying eyes (which would be often) when parked. We'll see. Pondering it all, currently. 

Your motorcycle rigs are outstanding! Thanks for all of the photos. It is appreciated, as is the support. 

Thanks for the compliments. Since you have no moonfoof your options are unlimited. You will have a really nice install once all is done. My son has the V8 in his 2016 F150 as  well. My F150 has the twin turbo 3.5L EcoBoost lawnmower engine it and the gas mileage sucks. I get between 13-14 MPG while my son gets over 20. Got lots of power and torque, but nothing economical about the EcoBoost. I'm trying to get my son to sell me his truck as some dumbass hit me head on and totaled my other vehicle.

When you get your hole punched in your truck, if you have a micrometer handy let me know the thickness of the roof skin as I want to plan an install once I get my son's truck. Thanks.

6 hours ago, gortex2 said:

Funny story that no one normally sees. The front left puck is actually a GPS antenna for my APX mobile (one of 4 on the truck) but I mounted it exactly the same as the one on the right that's the sirus xm antenna. When this was installed the front 2 "pepper shakers" were 800 mhz but have since been changed to UHF 1/4 wave black antenex whips. The rear mounts still run a laird LTE on the passenger and a Larsen NMO27 for CB on driver side. All mounts are labled next to the NMO and match the labels inside. Wifi and other GPS are all glass mount in rear window and center of windshield. 

I did notice that. My truck has the same SiriusXM nubbin over on the curbside of the ro0f, so when your truck had a symmetrically-placed dealibob, I saw it.  I never did cotton to the Sirius onslaught of mail, wanting me to sign up. The service was poor. Turns out, Ford wanted to replace that antenna to improve the experience, but I didn't want to play along. I get my music elsewhere on soma fm (via iPhone). 

Again, that's one hell of a radio rig you have, there. 

5 hours ago, tcp2525 said:

Thanks for the compliments. 

When you get your hole punched in your truck, if you have a micrometer handy let me know the thickness of the roof skin as I want to plan an install once I get my son's truck. Thanks.

You're welcome. It's nice work!

Good luck prying that thing from your boy's hands. The Coyote is amazing. All it needs is a little rpm, and, baby, is it built for it. The story of that engine's development is rather incredible. Link ---> https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/m5lp-1003-2011-ford-mustang-gt-50-coyote-engine/

I will measure the panel with what I have handy, and that's an analog dial caliper, if'n I can get the jaw through the hole. ?

?

19 minutes ago, WhiskeyRomeo790 said:

In other news...

Seems I cannot leave anyone else any "Thanks", today. That's an odd way of doing business. Oh well. 

Yeah, I've hit that limit a couple times lately too...I think @Sshannonmentioned running into the reaction limit not too long ago too.