Looking for business style gmrs 5w ht

WRWH734

Question

I am looking for a HT I can program to only work on my repeater for my grandson. Grandson is a responsible young man, but I get concerned that the cousins he lives with may someday "toy" with the radio. So basically I am looking for something that is not field programmable in any way, will allow me to delete all but the one custom repeater channel I would program, similar to a business radio but for gmrs. 

The more rugged the better, but ruggedness is not important. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

2 hours ago, WRWH734 said:

Interesting. I have had a few people tell me the default channels on the KG-805G cannot be deleted. Is it possible there are firmware version that do and do no have that limitation? Also, I believe these are field programmable, right? Just not for repeaters or something? I.e. you can manually add a channel that corresponds to gmrs 16 and ctss 1 if you want to using the menu and the diall+buttons?

I haven't specifically tried, but I don't believe my 805g is so locked down (bought in early 2020). From what I remember, you can program ALL the channels, as long as the tx is in band for gmrs. Without going into TOO much detail, the limitations are largely software based, at least on mine. A firmware change isn't outside the realm of possibility though.

I did not find a way/ability to save channels.from the face/keypad. It will let you chance tones to your hearts content  from the front panel, but not add new channels.

I would test modifying the base channels, except it's in my desk at the office where I won't be till next week.