info and networking

meeks239

If i was to grab a 45watt radio with repeater capablities what kind of antenna is preferred?

Please try to put all your questions in one post... Regarding this question, see my previous reply with photos. The Laird mono-band antenna is excellent, once cut to frequency per the chart supplied.

The Kenwood radios require programming software and cable. There are some USB/radio cables available but be certain to buy only the ones with a genuine FDTI chip. The clones will not work. The software is available free from a source on-line in the United Kingdom*, but will require an older computer to use. I keep a WinXP machine around for just this reason.

* https://hamfiles.co.uk/index.php?page=start

Leixen VV-898P UHF/VHF Dual Band Mobile Radio... thats one i was looking at last night

So I have 2 of these little gems. One of them is mounted in my wife's car (Outback Sport) and the other is in a little "portable" setup to use in rental vehicles.

25 Watts, part 90, and low power drain. Audio on them is pretty darn good, both transmit and receive, but the scanning really stinks. You can control the volume, channels, and A/B selection directly from the mic.

Basically worth the $95 I dropped on on each of them.

Www.miklor.Com did a great review on the 10 watt model, and pretty much hit it on the head.

As soon as I get to a computer, I'll upload my photos of the "portable" setup. It basically will slide between your seat and the console in your crosstek.

James

WQUL457

W8JVF

OK... Was working on the pics, but they are all too large to post. Going to "shrink" em down and see if I can get them up.

Helpful suggestion: If possible, no larger than 640x480, please. Anything bigger will screw up the display of the forum for many users on computers.

UHF is a height is might situation. Antenna placement really dictates the antenna type.

I run commercial quality NMO antennas with the exception of my dd which has a multi-band setup on it. Everything is 1/4 wave.

My Jeep has a fender mounted Larsen NMO-27 which is cut for the CB it is attached to (old off road habits die hard) and a sprung Larsen NMOQ cut for 146 MHz (I've moved all the ranch vehicles over to commercial VHF).

My old dd (which has been sitting in a field near Lubbock for about 8 months now) has a PCTEL 430-480 MHz antenna on the roof and a Larsen NMOQ cut for 146 MHz on the roof as well.

Current dd has what's called a Panorama Sharkee with a V/U/7/800 whip on it.

Not a fan of fiberglass antennas, especially those made by Firestik as there is some snake oil in their marketing claims. Other than that they are heavy and perform no better than other options which whistle far less going down the highway.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk