New guy

chiefeis

Just got my license a couple weeks ago, then promptly moved to the DC area.  Once I get settled in I plan to actually start doing stuff (like getting a decent radio). Also studying for my HAM license.

Just wanted to say I'm glad this site (both the main site and the forums) exists and thanks in advance for answering any clueless newbie questions.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just discovered a repeater located near the intersection of Hwy's 50 & 7 near DC. It's not listed anywhere (that I can find) and is on the same frequency and codes as "675Baltimore"  (462.675, 467.675 and 141.3, 141.3). I recently had a nice conversation with a seasoned HAM and GMRS operator on that system. I was mobile in Warrenton,VA at the time which is about 31 air miles SW of the location. I was in between two buildings and hitting the repeater off the side of the car and still a good signal. He said it was a REACT repeater but I was perfectly welcome to use it as long as I had a licence.

I have been monitoring that frequency since last Saturday and haven't heard a soul. Unfortunately I didn't ask a lot of details like how high and power out, etc. I will next time I talk to some one on it. My personal range testing by listening for the carrier tone, has been out to 56 miles so far with out any problems. I even went out side last night about 1:30 AM and hit it with my Tera TR-505 hand held using the 15" antenna (5 watts). My house is about 51 miles SW from the repeater. 

I'm hoping I'll be able to connect with people in the area through this system and I also am hopeful that I will be able to talk to my wife and son who both work within a few miles of the tower. The are doing the 60 plus mile commute thing and it would be especially useful in bad weather.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Silver Spring, just north of DC. I would love to see a repeater in the area. It would be great to talk to some people on the air. So far my $65 license has been a waste.

Generally, GMRS is used for families to communicate with one another. Hobby use of GMRS is uncommon in most areas. It is more a utility than a hobby.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments made are personal opinion only and may not indicate actual fact.

I just discovered a repeater located near the intersection of Hwy's 50 & 7 near DC. It's not listed anywhere (that I can find) and is on the same frequency and codes as "675Baltimore"  (462.675, 467.675 and 141.3, 141.3). I recently had a nice conversation with a seasoned HAM and GMRS operator on that system. I was mobile in Warrenton,VA at the time which is about 31 air miles SW of the location. I was in between two buildings and hitting the repeater off the side of the car and still a good signal. He said it was a REACT repeater but I was perfectly welcome to use it as long as I had a licence.

I have been monitoring that frequency since last Saturday and haven't heard a soul. Unfortunately I didn't ask a lot of details like how high and power out, etc. I will next time I talk to some one on it. My personal range testing by listening for the carrier tone, has been out to 56 miles so far with out any problems. I even went out side last night about 1:30 AM and hit it with my Tera TR-505 hand held using the 15" antenna (5 watts). My house is about 51 miles SW from the repeater. 

I'm hoping I'll be able to connect with people in the area through this system and I also am hopeful that I will be able to talk to my wife and son who both work within a few miles of the tower. The are doing the 60 plus mile commute thing and it would be especially useful in bad weather.

For about two weeks I haven't been able to hit .675 near DC or the repeater near Charlottesville, VA. I'm wondering if both are down or it's just conditions. Anybody else use these?